Happy News Stories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Happy News Stories Reply with quote

theres a lot of negative news, so i thought i'd start a thread for happy and positive news thumbs if you spot any good ones, post them up Smile

Miracle mum brings premature baby son back to life with two hours of loving cuddles after doctors pronounce him dead

An Australian mother has told how her touch brought her 'dead' baby back to life.

Doctors gave tiny Jamie Ogg no chance of survival when he was born prematurely at 27 weeks weighing just 2lb.

His twin sister Emily had survived but after battling for 20 minutes to get him to breathe Jamie was declared dead.

He was then handed to his mother Kate so she and her partner David could grieve and say their goodbyes.

Awful moment: Kate and David clasp each other and their son Jamie, circled, after being told he did not survive the birth. They were given the child to say their goodbyes but then, miraculously, two hours later he began to show signs of life

Signs of life: A smiling Kate holds Jamie after it becomes clear that her son is going to survive

But after two hours of being spoken to, touched cuddled and held by his mother he miraculously began showing signs of life.

Then after being given breast milk on his mother's finger, he began breathing regularly.

Kate, who gave birth after a three-hour labour in March, has spoken of how vital 'skin-on-skin' care can be for a sick baby, or 'kangaroo touch' as it is known in Australia. 'Skin-on-skin' care is when the child is laid on the mother.

Normally, premature babies are sent to intensive care and she was only given her son to hold because he was thought to have died.

Telling how the drama unfolded at a hospital in Sydney, she said: 'The doctor asked me after the birth had we chosen a name for our son.

'I said, "Jamie", and he turned around with my son already wrapped up and said, "We've lost Jamie, he didn't make it, sorry."

'It was the worse feeling I've ever felt. I unwrapped Jamie from his blanket.

'He was very limp. His little arms and legs were just falling down away from his body.

Proud mum: Kate with son Jamie when they appeared on Australian TVl. The boy was born prematurely with twin sister Emily at 27 weeks

Sweet slumber: Five-month-old Jamie sleeps in his mother's arms as she gives an account of his remarkable survival

'I took my gown off and arranged him on my chest with his head over my arm and just held him.

'He wasn't moving at all and we just started talking to him. We told him what his name was and that he had a sister.

'We told him the things we wanted to do with him throughout his life.'

Jamie occasionally gasped for air, which doctors said was a reflex action.

She added: 'After just five minutes I felt him move as if he were startled, then he started gasping more and more regularly.

'I thought, "Oh my God, what's going on?" A short time later he opened his eyes. It was a miracle.

'I told my mum, who was there, that he was still alive. Then he held out his hand and grabbed my finger.

'He opened his eyes and moved his head from side to side.'

All smiles: It was after Kate gave her son some of her breast milk on her finger that he began breathing regularly

She said they passed on a message to their doctor insisting Jamie was showing signs of life, but he sent back a midwife with the reply that they were just natural reflexes and that there was no possible way he could still be alive.

Kate then said to her husband, 'What if he lives?'

She added: 'I was like, "We could be the luckiest parents in the world".

'I gave Jamie some breast milk on my finger, he took it and started regular breathing.

'At that point the doctor came back. He got a stethoscope, listened to Jamie's chest and just kept shaking his head.

'He said, "I don't believe it, I don't believe it".'

David, speaking to the Australian TV show Today Tonight, said: 'Luckily, I've got a very strong, very smart wife.

'She instinctively did what she did. If she hadn't have done that, then Jamie probably wouldn't be here.'

The doctor who delivered Jamie refused to be interviewed for the TV show.

WHAT EXACTLY IS 'KANGAROO CARE'?

'Kangaroo care' is a technique which is being promoted at an increasing number of hospitals in this country, and is based on skin-to-skin contact between a newborn and a parent or even siblings. The idea behind the technique - which takes its name after the way kangaroos hold their young in a pouch next to their bodies - is that the mothers became a human incubator, keeping the baby warm, stimulated and fed. Pre-term and low birth-weight babies treated this way have also been shown to have lower infection rates, less severe illness, improved sleep patterns and are at reduced risk of hypothermia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1306283/Miracle-premature-baby-declared-dead-doctors-revived-mothers-touch.html
Bat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last some good news. In the last 3 weeks there's been nothing but death around me. This is a very pleasing shot in the arm Smile
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippin' 'eck, beat that one.

brings a tear to the eye, thx mate.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mother's love ...and milk...have no equal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: