Peter Serafinowicz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Peter Serafinowicz Reply with quote

I've just found out about this guy and I like what I see!

I know him as the asshole character in Spaced who stole Simon Pegg's girlfriend, and eventually got shot in the bollox with a paintball gun.

Apparently he's much more than that, and there is a show on BBC 2 called The Peter Serafinowicz Show that he is in (which is an amazing coincidence because that is also his name!)

Here's some stuff from YouTube that I thought was cool:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3tx3IEsN4

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oPr24w5eSpw

And I capped this one myself:

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look out for 'Hippies' also, he played a great role in that, also as Simon Pegg's nemesis...

That's great you're capping stuff yourself now - it's not that tricky once you get going, though it looks like you need to work on the aspect ratio. I'm guessing you recorded that as widescreen, then converted it to 4:3 in whatever editor you used? This is more for the web-media section actually.
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you're spot on - I fucked up the aspect ratio, bu couldn't be arsed re-doing it, lol.

I probably also didn't technically "cap" it, since I just nicked it off mininova and chopped that scene out. But hey :p
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's married to Sarah Alexander???? That's news to me! She was brilliant in Green Wing. Nice one, Serafazawaza!!

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's news to me - now I have to hate him for being such a talented and lucky bastard!
luke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
lucky bastard!

thats exactly what i was thinking
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching the Christmas Special of the Peter Serafinowicz Show on BBC iPlayer - very funny indeed! Get it while you can Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Serafinowicz To Play Paul McCartney In 'Yellow Submarine' Remake
The Beatles movie is out in 2012...
January 12, 2010
Scott Colothan

Peter Serafinowicz has landed the role of Sir Paul McCartney in the remake of The Beatles musical 'Yellow Submarine.' The new version of the classic 1968 Beatles film is being directed by Robert Zemeckis and utilises 3D performance capture technology rather than being a 2D cartoon like the original.

Set for release in 2012, Shameless actor Dean Lennox Kelly will play John Lennon, 'Robin Hood: Men In Tights' star Cary Elwes has landed the role of George Harrison while Adam Campbell is Ringo Starr. Beatles tribute act Fab 4 will provide the music to the film with their versions of the original tracks.

-----------------

I don't think he's had a big Hollywood role before (the twat in Shaun of The Dead doesn't really count!), so good luck to him.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using technology to make people laugh
By Neville Hawcock
February 5 2010
ft.com

Serious news is breaking on BBC News 24. Standing outside a BBC building, a tired-looking Peter Serafinowicz announces “with great regret” that he won’t be making any more episodes of his TV comedy show. The camera is jostled; we hear reporters vying for his attention – “Peter!”, “Peter!” – as more world news scrolls along the bottom of the screen. “So what are your plans for the future?” asks one newshound. “I’ll probably try and reapply for a job with the BBC,” the British comedian replies lamely.

It’s a spoof, of course, but a pitch-perfect one. It was also made using the slenderest of means. Serafinowicz, at a loose end between meetings, filmed the snippet himself using an iPhone; he emailed it to a friend who added the graphics and the sound-effects, then posted it on his website. You couldn’t ask for a clearer demonstration of the low-budget wonders that the worldwide web and video-phones make possible. “I was trying to get it picked up as a genuine news story,” Serafinowicz tells me as we sip americanos in the snug recesses of a Portobello Road brasserie.

Serafinowicz is a ubiquitous, well-connected figure in British TV entertainment, although he has never quite become a household name. But the 37-year-old comedian does not seem bitter. He is affable company, if a little rumpled and prone to ramble, as fathers of very young children – he has two, with Green Wing actress Sarah Alexander – are apt to be. By 11am he’s on his fourth coffee of the day.

He is part of a cohort of comedians and TV writers who rose to prominence in the late 1990s – Simon Pegg, Dylan Moran, Chris Morris among them – with series exploring urban slackerdom (Pegg’s Spaced or Moran’s Black Books) and media overload (Morris’s Brass Eye). He enjoyed steady success as an actor in these and other series, and in film, with a terrific turn as an obnoxious alpha-male housemate in Pegg’s zombie comedy Shaun of the Dead; he also co-wrote and starred in Look Around You (2002, 2005), an affectionate parody of 1970s schools broadcasting, before securing his own series, The Peter Serafinowicz Show in 2007. That earned him the award for Best Entertainer at the 2008 Rose D’Or television festival, and is now released on DVD.

A sketch show packed with wonderfully bizarre characters, it demonstrated his strengths to the full: a certain suave gravitas, which owes much to Serafinowicz’s imposing physical presence (he is well over six feet tall) and functions as a foil to surreal goings-on; an unerring fidelity to whatever he is spoofing, be it a shopping channel or a cleaning product advert; and a facility for impressions, including such mimics’ staples as Michael Caine and Al Pacino, but also a terrific Alan Alda and, fittingly for a Liverpudlian, all The Beatles. (In a pleasingly postmodern twist, he is voicing Paul McCartney in Robert Zemeckis’s CGI remake of Yellow Submarine.)

It also embodied his readiness to exploit the opportunities thrown up by the internet: Serafinowicz is in the vanguard of comedians exploiting its possibilities. Indeed, the series owes its existence to YouTube, and in particular to a clip that Serafinowicz devised in the early days of the video-sharing site in 2006. The aim was, he says, “to make something with television production values but for the internet”; the result, a typically daft-yet-plausible chunk of Hollywood “news” from an entertainment channel, attracted 100,000 hits within 48 hours of going up – and the attention of the BBC’s commissioning editors.

He continues to create online-only sketches, notably for the UK offshoot of Funny or Die, the comedy ranking site founded by US comedians Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Chris Henchy. Other projects include websites devoted to Tarvuism, a sleekly packaged, utterly fake one-size-fits-all world religion, and to Radio Spirit World (“the only station broadcasting from the afterlife to the living world”).

Serafinowicz, who is what marketing people would call an “early adopter”, is also among those comedians using Twitter to test material; others include TV Burp writer Daniel Maier and Mighty Boosh writer Rich Fulcher. He tweets ideas to see how people respond, or asks people to shower him with words or phrases on which he can riff. “It’s like a weird sort of stand-up gig,” he says, “except I’m usually lying down, half-asleep.” Just before we met, he tells me, he tweeted the idea of names for bad charities – Save the Children (For Later) and suchlike – and, in the half-hour we’ve been talking, he’s had 40 replies.

He welcomes Twitter’s potential for instant feedback. “Ultimately you’re trying to please your fans so you want to know what they dig,” he says.

Does he think he is ahead of the curve in his use of technology? “I’m ahead of the next curve,” he says. “There’s another curve that people don’t even know about. And the next thing after that is a corner.”

‘The Peter Serafinowicz Show’ is out now on 4DVD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: