Battle of The Likely Lads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Battle of The Likely Lads Reply with quote

The Likely Lads fall out over money, 35 years on
Rodney Bewes has accused his fellow 'Likely Lad' James Bolam of consigning cast members on the hit 1960s comedy to poverty by refusing to allow it to be repeated on television.
Stephen Adams
14 Feb 2010

While the pair played best friends Bob Ferris and Terry Collier in the series, about two Geordies who work in a factory, in real life they fell out and have not spoken since 1976. Now Bewes, 72, has launched a bitter attack on his former friend, 74, accusing him of being selfish and taking himself too seriously.

Of Bolam's refusal to allow the show to be repeated, he said: "Jimmy Bolam's killed it, which is such a pity." He went on: "I'm very poor so I have to tour one-man shows because Jimmy has buried The Likely Lads. You have to sign a waiver for them to repeat it and he stopped it while he did New Tricks. Well, New Tricks has been on so long, and is so well repeated, that he must be very wealthy; me, I've just got an overdraft and a mortgage," he said. He should let it be repeated on BBC Two or BBC One; to stop other people earning money is cruel."

Between 1964 and 1966 the BBC broadcast 20 episodes of The Likely Lads, about the two youngsters struggling to enjoy the Swinging Sixties on their meagre paypackets. The series was an outstanding success, being watched by up to 27 million people. The pair returned in the 1970s with the sequel series Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? and finally a film, The Likely Lads. But since filming that in 1976 they have never spoken.

Asked why, Bewes said: "It's this actor's ego thing: he thinks he is important. Actors aren't important. I'm not important; I have fun. I think Jimmy takes himself very seriously as an 'actor'." Bolam declined to comment on Bewes' accusations, according to the paper.

-------------------

That's a bastard for sure - I was too young to enjoy it at the time, but I've seen a few rips over the years and it was well made. I can't see any logical reason why Bolam wouldn't want it to be shown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: