Happy Halloween
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Happy Halloween Reply with quote

Happy Haunts to all of you! May the spirit of the day guide you to all of the treats and away from all of the tricks.

Say hello to all of your loved ones who have passed today. They are waiting for a message...
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Halloween, guys!

bat scream eeks nervous

If you're after a nice Halloween movie, search for one called "Trick 'r Treat". It's a goodie.

IMDB details
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually get the kids coming round, but I've not seen any yet. Just as well really as they'd be getting cream crackers if they're lucky!

I saw that the Vatican have asked people to stop celebrating Halloween as it's a Pagan event, but Christmas and Easter are pretty much based on Pagan celebrations too, so why this in particular?

Spurs, praying for the souls of people who've died is supposed to be tomorrow really - All Souls Day. Though I don't think it ever hurts - last I heard souls don't have calendars!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Halloween to you all! And a Happy Birthday to my brother Russell. Nothing gives a person a bloated sense of self worth then being born on a holiday where people hand out candy!

As for the Vatican, they can suck it. Halloween traditions as we know it were built around both Christian and Pagan ideas so nyer Where's my broom?
tafferson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vatican stepping in on the whole halloween thing is nothing new.

Halloween is actually a celtic tradition that pre-dates christianity and was known to the ancient britains as sowen ( not sure if thats how you spell it ) which means november. The celts would give offerings to the gods to ensure that the light would return for next years crops because the celts were totally reliant on what they have harvested to last them through the winter months.

The Romans also had a similar pagen celebration were they would offer fruits such as apples to the gods which is were we get apple bobbing from until one of the romans ( I can't remember the name of the emporer ) had a vision of christ on the battle field ( christianity was in its early days at this time but increasing rapidly in popularity ) and denounced pagenism.

The church at this time began rise to the power that we know it was and as usual started interfering with there bollocks saying that it was a sin to celebrate sowen and forbid it. People especially the celts basically ignored them and carried on doing what had been done by there ancestors for centuries. The church realised this and tried to offer an alternative in all saints day. This didn't really have much affect to the common people so shortly after they made the day after all saints day all souls day so the people could worship the souls of people that had past that year but this didn't really stop people either as britains and the celts carried on with their beliefs.

It really began to heat up when the protestants came along.They cut ties with the church
saying that catholasism had become corrupt and was blocking there true worship of the lord and pagen worship was sacroligous so they set of to the new world ( America ) to start there own communitys. This is were the catholic church really threw the cat amongst the pigeons and said that the celtic worship by woman of sowen was witchcraft which is a direct link to satan and they should be cleansed of thier sins according to the pope at the time (can't remember his name either).

So of cause all these caring christians who's religion spreads the message of peace and love to all starting going around britain and europe burning woman alive at the stake. The protestants of the new world also jumped on the bandwagon which is why we have the salem witch trials, but due to the influx of Irish Americans the celtic celebrations continued but now as halloween. Hope that helps ( the creation of the word halloween is another story and I seem to have rabbited on enough but there is a great documentory called the haunted history of halloween if you wanted to learn more )
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean praying for souls, Face, I just ment chatting with folks you love that have passed. If you are sympathetic to such things, it is a little easier to get thru tonight. I normally hear from my Mom, either thru a dream or I smell her cigs or perfume. I hear from her all thru the year, but it seems a little more 2 way on Halloween...

@tafferson - I have always spelled it Samhain...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff tafferson - I think Hallow e'en comes from 'Hallowed Day Evening', though I might have been looking out the window during that RE class...
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means "All hallows evening", the day before all saint's day, as far as I know. In any case, witches never flew about on broomsticks, it was a phallic symbol, like a "yard of ale", but cheaper, and you don't feel compelled to buy a bag of nuts and play pool
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom won second prize at the VFDubya for her Frankenstein woman costume. She got a basket of goodies which I will gladly help her polish off. Happy Halloween everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I didn't mean praying for souls, Face, I just ment chatting with folks you love that have passed.

I missed this earlier Spurs - I replied at the same time.

praying for or chatting to is an age-old question. Whatever works is my approach!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope everyone had a happy Hallowe'en! We hardly get any trick or treaters, so I ended up going to the movies Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Hope everyone had a happy Hallowe'en! We hardly get any trick or treaters, so I ended up going to the movies Laughing

EEEeeee hEEEeee! Cool
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareEyes wrote:
Happy Halloween, guys!

bat scream eeks nervous

If you're after a nice Halloween movie, search for one called "Trick 'r Treat". It's a goodie.

IMDB details

Much better selection than the movie I thought it was. There is another movie called "Trick or Treat" with Gene Simmons. One of his first movie roles. He makes a good bad guy, but the movie as a whole is pretty bad. It is a nice little late 80s/early 90s time capsule, though. Worth the $5 I paid for it....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

EEEeeee hEEEeee! Cool

ROFLMAO!!!! Yes, I saw the Michael Jackson movie !
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhh, now I get it! Well done, Sky...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: