Microsoft banned from selling Word in the US!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Microsoft banned from selling Word in the US! Reply with quote

Microsoft banned from selling Word in US
A Texan court has granted an injunction against Microsoft, preventing it from selling copies of Word, its word-processing software.
Claudine Beaumont,
Technology Editor
12 Aug 2009

A Texan court has ruled that Microsoft must stop selling Word in the United States, after finding the software giant guilty of copyright infringement. Microsoft has been accused of infringing patents owned by another company, i4i. The legal dispute centres around the way Microsoft Word handles certain kinds of documents.

i4i, based in Toronto, claimed that Microsoft "willingly violated" a patent granted in 1998 concerning methods for reading XML, a kind of programming language. XML allows users to customise the format of word-processing documents, enabling them to be read by various word-processing programs. Microsoft Word's ability to read and write XML documents is a crucial feature of the popular software.

Judge Leonard Davis, of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, ruled that Microsoft had infringed i4i's patent, and ordered the software giant to pay $290 million (£176 million) in damages. This included $40 million (£25 million) for the wilful infringement of the patent, $37 million (£23 million) in pre-judgement interest, and a further $21,102 (£13,000) per day until a final judgement is reached.

He also granted an injunction banning Microsoft from selling Microsoft Word in the United States, or importing the software in to the country. The ruling covers all Microsoft Word products that can open XML files or DOCX and DOCM documents. Microsoft has been given 60 days to comply with the injunction.

Microsoft said it would appeal against the verdict. "We are disappointed by the court's ruling," said Kevin Kutz, a spokesman for the software giant. "We believe the evidence clearly demonstrated that we do not infringe and that the i4i patent is invalid."

------------------

there's one in the eye for M$!
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase "hoisted on their own petard" comes to mind...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: