the american health care debate - your views

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: the american health care debate - your views Reply with quote

i'm interested in peoples views on the debate in america over healthcare ... i've not really followed it so don't know what the score is, except obama selling out to the pharamaceutical industry and the attacks against britain's national health service with sarah palin waffling on about it being 'evil', 'orwellian' and having 'death panels' along with some american rag saying stephen hawking would be dead if he were british. except he is british, and as he said himself, he 'would not be alive without the NHS'

so what are your views?

do you support what obama wants to do? what is it about what he wants to do you like? are there things he wants to do you don't like? are there extra things you'd like him to do?

if you don't support whatever obama wants to do, why not? what would you like to happen instead? are there parts in obamas plan you would like?

is there anyone who supports the current system?

is there anyone that wants a whole different system to those being proposed?

do you think the media has done a good job in covering the debate?

ps - i'm not going to argue with you, i'm just interested in your views Smile
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am embarrassed to say that I don't know all of the ins and outs of President Obama's plan, although admittedly, I don't know anyone who does. Having said that, at least he is doing something. He is not just giving lip service to the issue. He is trying to update a VERY antiquated system (it is funny I would support this since I am so fond of antiques!) and trying to take care of the American uninsured population. I think our current system sucks. Any system that allows just one person to go uninsured or to put off going to the doctor because even with insurance they can't afford to go is CRAP. I don't know alot about the NHS or the Dutch system, as far as how one actually goes to the doctor and has it paid for or partially paid for. I have heard that the Dutch system is very good and no one goes without help. In turn, the Dutch pay higher taxes. Well, you know what, if that is what it takes, well then (within reason) I may be for it. I am not paid to come up with the plan, that is for pay grades bigger than mine and that is why I vote...so that I have had a hand in picking who does come up with the plan. That's my input. I would like to see something along the lines of what Canada, England, Holland, or Sweden have put into place. None of these systems are without fault and can probably be improved upon, but they sure are a damned good place to start....you have to start somewhere and that is where we are now, just getting started, but at least we now have a President with a clear command of the English language who might be able to get something done.

As for the media...well my dear departed Mother taught me if you can't say anything nice...I try to get my news from lots of different sources so that I can sort of put everything together and try to figure out the real story (with the exception of Fox - I don't even factor them in).
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't agree with is making in mandatory to have health care (like auto insurance). However, I pretty much okay with everything else.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I don't know alot about the NHS or the Dutch system, as far as how one actually goes to the doctor and has it paid for or partially paid for

its paid for totally Smile

SpursFan1902 wrote:
the Dutch pay higher taxes. Well, you know what, if that is what it takes, well then (within reason) I may be for it.

do you know how much taxes will rise? i remember from somewhere ( but could be wrong ) that it'll be a tax increase on people getting paid over $250,000? is that right? here we pay national insurance, i can't remember what the rate is though

Skylace wrote:
What I don't agree with is making in mandatory to have health care (like auto insurance). However, I pretty much okay with everything else.

what do you mean by mandatory? i mean, surely everyone wants health care? and obamas plan is to provide it to everyone? or is there something i'm not understanding?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:

what do you mean by mandatory? i mean, surely everyone wants health care? and obamas plan is to provide it to everyone? or is there something i'm not understanding?

No. Obama's plan does not cover everyone. It will only have care for those who cannot afford to get their own coverage or help supplement those who can't get enough. If you can afford it, you will have to buy it, or you will be fined and required to get it. The government will not be providing me with health care. I can afford it (and luckily in a month's time will be getting it through work).
luke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, i get ya, thanks sky. do you know the level of income at which you're seen as being able to afford health care and then have to buy it?

so people who can afford it just have to go out and buy health care like could do now, from these insurance companies? isn't one on the problems with the current system the insurance companies though?

i agree with you though, i don't think it should be mandatory. i mean, take me, i've never been in hospital ( touch wood ) so if i lived in america i'd probably not bother with health care. i don't like the idea of being forced to get health care from some profit driven insurance company! but depending on how much you have to earn, maybe i'd just get free health care anyway Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what the level of income has to be. I am sure there will be other factors in the equation as well. I am not sure what the poverty line level is anymore in the US nor do I know what other factors will all be taken into consideration.

One thing that the plan should do (if it takes effect) is make sure that some of the things insurance companies were doing in the past that were causing issues won't (hopefully) be able to be done anymore. The companies will still be allowed to make profit but they won't be able to deny coverage due to "preexisiting conditions", they won't be able to just cut your coverage if something bad happens to you (serious illness, etc), they won't be allowed to put caps on their coverage (in other words they can't say we'll only pay for this set amount of medical bills and then you're on your own), and they will have to offer much more competive rates and a larger variety of plans at affordable prices and not allow insurance company monopolies in states. So while the insurance companies will still be in business they are not, in theory, supposed to be able to get away with the things they have before.

An example then would be, if you moved here luke and didn't want to get a full coverage plan but just wanted to make sure you had accidental and yearly doctor visits covered then you should be able to get a plan that just covers that at a resonable rate and also be able to shop around more. And as long as you had some type of coverage if something really terrible happened then the government should be able to pick up the rest of the bill.

That's a very loose example but it's a basic idea.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY thing I want passed through the Congress is an act to protect families who end up losing everything due to a catastrophic health issue, ie. Twirley's neighbors who had the fire and the husband sustained the injuries. When I was a Medicaid worker I met many families who had to file bankruptcy for protection when a child or family member had a catastrophic illness.
luke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sky Smile anyone else think sky should run for president next time?

11antoniacourt wrote:
The ONLY thing I want passed through the Congress is an act to protect families who end up losing everything due to a catastrophic health issue, ie. Twirley's neighbors who had the fire and the husband sustained the injuries. When I was a Medicaid worker I met many families who had to file bankruptcy for protection when a child or family member had a catastrophic illness.

that kinda situation just sounds completely mad to me and is terribly sad. i'll keep my fingers crossed you americans get some sort of reformed health care Smile

does anyone have any views against any parts or all of obamas health care plans? or views on something different to whats currently being proposed?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
thanks sky Smile anyone else think sky should run for president next time?

Don't vote for me. I don't want the job Laughing
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I shall not accept, nor shall I seek..." Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn it sky, i was going to get started on campaign posters Laughing

one of the criticisms i've heard of obamas plan is employers will drop their insured plans and make people take the government option.

anyone have any views on that? from what i understand, surely that would only work if they paid low enough wages so that their employees would be eligible for the government run scheme? and i'm just guessing, if its a low paid job, health care probably wasn't a benefit to start with.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies usually (not always) base health insurance coverage on the hours you work not the amount you are paid. I know that many companies already make sure (like Walmart) that employees work just enough hours and don't qualify to get the insurance benefits.
There's too many variables that I know of to give an honest answer on how I feel about that. But if you are working by hours (like myself) to get the insurance they would then have to cut my hours. Which would then open them to other issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: