Fire in the Charlotte news

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Fire in the Charlotte news Reply with quote

Well, our neighbourhood made the news yesterday. Right next door to us, the house burnt down. See the following webpage for the video clip. And if you look at the images at the end of the story text you'll see our house on Slide 6...left of the burning house.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/20793948/detail.html

The wife stayed with us last night, while her children stayed at a friend's house. The husband is expected to stay in hospital for about 3 days while he recovers. He has serious burns to his hands, some to his face and chest, but mainly the docs are worried about internal damage from smoke inhalation.

The family have been through a tough time this year. They both got laid off earlier this year, and although they have managed to get part-time work it's not at the same financial level. The wife thinks they have no insurance on the house, and says they definitely have no medical insurance. I think they're in for a tough time. Neighbours have been rallying round with donated items but what they really need is a place to live. I'm helping out for now, but I can't put up a family of four long-term. I hope that doesn't sound mean!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a bastard them not being insured - and I'm sure it will be tough no doubt. The thought of the guy trying to put it out with a hose is pretty harsh, he must have been desperate.

Does your local council not have accomodation for emergencies like this though?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound mean at all, Twirls. It sounds practical.

What a terrible thing to have happen. I used to think that something like that happening would be the end of the world for me...pictures, momentos, one's whole life, up in smoke. I still think it would be bad, but as an adult I know that I could come back from that. I hope that this family can too. At least with her saying that there is no insurance, the authorities won't think that they burnt it down for the money, but on the flip side, there is no replacement money. It's a tough situation...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have councils in America Face. The best bet would be to check with the local Red Cross or Salvation Army. They should be set up to help them. Social services could be called in perhaps, especially to help with the kids but they may just put the tikes up. But if you call the Salvation Army Twirls they may be able to get something going. Most of them have houses for families that need things like this or they know where to get them to. It's not mean at all for you to say that they can't stay forever. Because the reality is they can't. What you are doing now is wonderful.
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
that's a bastard them not being insured - and I'm sure it will be tough no doubt. The thought of the guy trying to put it out with a hose is pretty harsh, he must have been desperate.

Does your local council not have accomodation for emergencies like this though?

The family are getting assistance from the Red Cross at the moment. I don't think the local government helps out in any way.

I'm hoping that they at least have buildings insurance. I don't think it's legal not to have it here if you have a mortgage against the house, which I know they do. If they don't have any, I don't know how they are going to afford to live. The medical bills alone are going to wipe them out. We need Obama to sort out that healthcare plan SOON.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some bad luck alright. If they belong to a church perhaps the church can assist them. I think that they probably had to have insurance on the house when they financed it but there's no enforcement afterwards. it would be awful if they had to let the insurance lapse due to their financial woes. So sad, but they're alive thank God.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:

The family are getting assistance from the Red Cross at the moment. I don't think the local government helps out in any way.

The local government doesn't Twirls. That's why we have the Red Cross and Salvation Army in America handle all that stuff. All you have to do is look at FEMA's handling of Gulf Coast region to know that government aid doesn't do much in natural disasters. They have nothing in place for peoples whose homes burn down.
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't belong to a church but the Chinese community are rallying round to help. There is a possibility of some accommodation for them while they sort themselves out, and someone has lent her a car.

She was at the hospital with her husband all last night and is still there today. He is now conscious and is managing to speak....and wants to get out of the hospital but the docs don't want to let him leave just yet in case there's any infection down his throat and in his lungs.

I'm still not sure if they have any insurance on the house but I guess they're just taking each day as it comes.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you doing Twirls? I am sure you are having stress as well over all this.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sky, I too was wondering how the family is doing. It is so generous that someone lent her the car. They have been in my thoughts since you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: