Bridget Christie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Bridget Christie Reply with quote

I see that on the nominations list for the Chortle live comedy awards is Bridget Christie. I'd never heard of her before, so I thought I'd look for some video.

She's been going for almost 5 years, with this clip being from last August. It's part of a collection of stories regarding historical figures; not exactly an original concept when you consider Mark Steel's Lectures... but the thing that stood out most for me was the 'celery' joke - it didn't need to be stretched out, or explained. I'd expect more of someone who's been performing for so long.

trivia - she's Stewart Lee's wife.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watched that because you mentioned she's God's wife. It was fairly average, but what struck me was how would she have handled a heckle? It seemed like the audience were just letting her gobble that green.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have had to shout out!

When I worked in a nightclub we had an monthly event where the promoters would get performance artists in, along with magicians and fire breathers etc. One of the artists did her entire act in a 1m square box filled with sand, in a bikini, throwing handfuls of water melon at herself. That was it. I had to drag the hecklers off like vampires at a Christian Rock festival.

I found that much funnier... haha
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridget Christie - A talent for comedy not lost in the Mail
6 August 2009
By JONATHAN TREW
scotsman.com

FORMER jobs are often fertile territory for stand-up comics and a stint working on the diary column of the Daily Mail has gifted Bridget Christie with a glut of colourful material to work from. From being given a lapdance by Peter Stringfellow to being strangled by Gene Wilder, her five years on the diary desk have provided the Gloucester-born comic with plenty of stories to fill My Daily Mail Hell, her show at this year's Fringe.

Actually, the show's title is misleading. The youngest of nine children, Christie was brought up in what she describes as "a very liberal, old Labour, working-class family"; a background that wouldn't seem to be the most obvious fit for the rather more right-of-centre Mail. Despite this, she reckons that her time at the paper was actually quite fun. "I did have a good time," says Christie. 'The show is about the unusual situations that I got myself into. It was a world that I didn't really belong in.'

Acting, archaeology and, seriously, being a detective had always been much higher up Christie's wish list of careers than journalism. Working for the Mail came about through chance more than design. Christie had been sent to the paper by a temping agency as a typist, work which fitted in with her fledgling career in comedy. Her job was to find out what parties were on and who would be attending them. If there weren't enough proper journalists available to cover all the events then Christie would be sent out. She quickly discovered that she wasn't a natural.

"I was really crap," she laughs. "You just wouldn't believe how rubbish I was. I would meet these celebrities or important politicians and ask what they had had for tea. My colleagues wouldn't do that because their jobs depended on it. They had to report back to the editor with something they could use. It was a bonus if I got something."

Many of Christie's would-be interviewees told her to push off in no uncertain terms but the fact that she was so glaringly bad at the job actually worked in her favour occasionally. "I came across as so naïve that I think I caught a lot of them off guard. A lot of them were quite nice to me and gave me funny little stories. I met Nick Robinson, the BBC's political editor. He has met some big fish in his time and I could have asked him anything.

"So I said, 'Hi Nick, it's Bridget from the Mail. Have you got any mad fans?' He said, 'No but someone keeps on sending me copies of my own face wrapped up in toilet paper. Does that mean I am a shit or does it mean that they are trying to protect me in some way by wrapping up my face?'" Needless to say, the front page wasn't held for that particular story but, while Christie may not have earned a reputation as an ace newshound, she did gain an insight into the tawdry world of celebrity PR.

"They court the press like nobody's business," she says. "They will call you up and tell you things that have happened and then complain if you get their age wrong or use a slightly unflattering photo or mention that they were a criminal five years ago. They try and have it all ways."

Christie gave up the job a couple of years ago when she became pregnant and is now married to fellow comic Stewart Lee. Since leaving the Mail, her comedy career has begun to take off and, among other writing projects, she is currently working on a treatment for a sitcom inspired by the Mitfords.

Historical figures have always loomed large in Christie's imagination. For the last couple of years, she presented Edinburgh comedy shows loosely based on the life of Charles II. This year, she is one of several comedians taking part in RB Sheridan's 18th Century farce The School For Scandal. An enthusiastic member of the Sealed Knot historical re-enactment society, she has always had a slightly oddball fascination for the past.

"In Paddington station yesterday, I saw a man with really long curly hair like something from the 1640s. He looked like he was in the English Civil War and that made me so happy. It's not just the 17th century that I like but I do particularly like that period because I've always thought that I looked like Charles II. I mean I look like him when he was 18," she adds just in case there might be any confusion. "Not when he was 55."

• My Daily Mail Hell is at the Gilded Balloon Teviot, Edinburgh. The School for Scandal is at the Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh. Both shows run until 31 August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: