Tell me the truth about death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Tell me the truth about death Reply with quote

While I find it a bit weird that there has to be a law about this I think the logic behind it makes sense. I would rather have all the information and be able to get my affairs in order then to be given false hope.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hospitals must tell the doctors to encourage people to be in hospital for the last days. They must make a lot of money that way - and it is a business after all.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I think the hospitals must tell the doctors to encourage people to be in hospital for the last days. They must make a lot of money that way - and it is a business after all.

Here they try to get you out as soon as possible. After pregnancy's etc. Hell, with my dad they were doing their best to get him out and at home with Hospice. There aren't enough beds for them to have people laying around. Hospitals over here will do their best to get you in and out and on your way. There's enough costumers that they don't worry about it to much.

I know one of my girlfriends about 10 hours after the birth of her first baby they came in to see if she was feeling good enough to go home!
bay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they strung my poor MIL along and never was straight up with her kids about how bad things were for her. When her brain was completely gone with cancer and she was a vegetable, they still wantsd to do surgery and radiation on her... good gawd...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a nurse I can honestly say that this is something that is done very well here in Canada, at least where I live. I worked on Pediatric Oncology for a few years, and I will tell you that there is nothing more heartbreaking than having to be involved in a conversation where parents are told their child has cancer and that there's nothing they can really do. Well, I suppose caring for that child and their family through the days until they do pass is just as hard.

We found out last week that my cousin has terminal bladder cancer that has spread to his bones and we think likely his brain. He has been literally screaming in pain for the last week and they can't get it under control. End-of-life care has been brought up numerous times with his wife yet she can' t seem to face this and won't sign a Do Not Recusitate order, yet has been told several times, it's only a matter of days/weeks. I suppose that sometimes, even when it's brought up, if people aren't ready to deal with it, the death process will be prolonged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: