Memorial Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke in the new BBQ. It did a nice job. However, it started to rain just as we finished up eating, so we weren't out for long. Which is a shame but at least we got the meal!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Broke in the new BBQ. It did a nice job. However, it started to rain just as we finished up eating, so we weren't out for long. Which is a shame but at least we got the meal!

Glad you found one.... after the one you had at your old house, it must have been difficult to use anything else Smile

As for the poppies...... we get the fake ones here but only where then on Remberence day in November. Our May holdiday is actually Victoria Day where we honour Queen Victorias birthday --- well, at least we're supposed to--- for most it's the first "beer drinking" holiday of the season Laughing
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I'll have to disagree with you that all recent wars are about political exercises. Sorry to hear about your dad's PTSD. I also have an uncle who suffered that as well from the Vietnam war.

I'm with Pirty on this one. I, too, am sorry to hear about your Dad's PTSD, face, but the article you posted was below the belt. I felt as though you were purposely trying to throw a wrench at a holiday that is meant to help people heal as well as to never forget. It's also a holiday that honours your father's service to his country.

Memorial Day isn't about politicizing the U.S. administration's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's about paying tribute to the kids who are actually serving their country. And whether you agree with that "service" or not, Memorial Day is for the soldiers, past & present.

When I was referring to the Rolling Thunder event, I was hoping, by posting the links, that people would be aware of what today's vets are doing to honour their fallen heroes, help themselves heal, as well as lay the groundwork for future support of veterans, as well as recognising their service to their country. Many of these participants were Vietnam vets who were spat on when they came home & never received treatment, assistance or public support.

No, I don't agree with the current war, but I will always show my support and thanks to the troops. Which includes members of my family.

I'm a bit upset now, so I'll be signing off.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't apologise for noting that there are military victims who are alive who need help and right now.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I don't apologise for noting that there are military victims who are alive who need help and right now.

My dad may he RIP 25/12 /33......07/07/07.....

Was quite a cunt to me in my childhood days ......A very mean man .....As I got older .....I started remembering the Storys ... about the Korean war...That I would sneakily listen to sitting on the stairs late at nite ....storys of torture ..etc etc...and of course i realized why he was such a strange man ....... and such like ...... the story's were horrifying....and i guess Like now ..there was no help back then for returning heroes......I am very sorry that my Dad died A misunderstood man .....I really am ........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: