Cardiac Surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Cardiac Surgery Reply with quote

This week, we've been busy dealing with my mother-in-law who had a bypass on Tuesday. It was a bit of a rough go in the beginning but she's doing well now.

I know that many people have dealt with this or have at least heard about it, so I thought I would include a link for those who are interested. It's really amazing what they can do these days and how quickly people can get back on their feet. My mother-in-law has already got more colour and energy than she's had in years --- however, if she eats any more hospital food............. Laughing

Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this eefan. While I haven't had to deal with this directly, I know of many other people who have. This is good information for sure.

Here's hoping your MIL is out soon and away from the hospital food!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there's quite the history of heart-trouble in my family (both parents died from it) so it's something I know is likely to affect me... thanks for the page eefan.

I found this video which describes how to help yourself if you're on your own when you have a heart attack. Have you heard of this method before? It sounds logical at least...

Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Your MIL is feeling ok....it will be a Year on June the 12th since The fella had his Quad bybass ..and I remember those first 3/4 days were awful he took a long time to come round in the CCU ...The nurse at the time told me younger guys have a harder time coming round ......Hes doing good .....he says hes able to do a lot more things physically now... then he was able to do before (hes still lazy that will never change Smile hes a man ) he actually quit smoking just before his heart attack so hes been 15 months non smoking .....he does not drink much .....hardly anything really .....his diet is pretty good .....I have been slacking a bit with that .......and made up my mind tonight to get him back on the fresh veggies and watch the sodium intake again .....etc etc .....but he loves his junk food chips and such .....thats up to him to control......he has put on a few pounds over winter ......and he needs to shed them .......

Another hard part after the op was /is the medication ....hes on so many different pills ......and sometimes the pills the doc prescribes the health insurance will not cover .....its a pain in the arse and makes no sense to me .......instead of taking say one pill he has to take three because of this crap with the HI...those problems are never ending .....and at the beginning it was about finding the right medication ....a lot of the medication would make him sick or too tired or give him bad headaches .....and when he would find a good one ..again the Heath Insurance would say the drug was not covered .....also another disadvantage is the fact that the fella is of Caribbean descent and medical studies have proved that he reacts differently to certain types of pills for blood pressure....what do u think the HI thinks about that ...... Sad

But as Colin says hes alive and thats the main thing ......and i hope that you don't have this problem in Canada ....

The other thing that has really held Colin back is his leg ...where they took the vein out ....the scar as you know runs from the top of his leg to his ankle .....it still splits open at the knee part .....now and again and also causes his ankle to swell a lot .....I have heard a lot of people say that the leg part has caused them probs over time .....

Again We are Happy hes alive and still with us .....and those things that we deal with are really nothing ..... in comparison to what could of been that morning when he had the heart attack .....

I wish Your MIL all the best ......and many more years of good living ......

Aja
oxoxoxoxoxoxox

ps I hope U are ok eefan and ya hubby too .....I remember how draining those days were .....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aja---- we're all doing ok Smile Marilyn had a bit of trouble after the surgery and had to be cardioverted (that's where they stop her heart and shock it to restart it back into the proper rhythm). She's also having some trouble still with her blood sugars, angina and blood pressure, but overall much better than she was. Hopefully she's coming home today. She's only got a small incision on her thigh from the vein stripping, so won't have the trouble that your Colin had. She also has good drug plan coverage. I'll pass on your good wishes... she'll be ticked to know that someone she's never met is thinking of her.

@Face --- at least you know your history so know to watch out for things cardiac related. All that bike riding is sure to keep you fit though Smile BTW, I can't see the video here at work, but I'll check it out at home--- sounds interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: