Holy shit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Holy shit Reply with quote

I was sitting on the computer on the third floor when suddenly there was a massive boom, the dogs went running, the house shook, and I looked up and saw the house across the way splintering and disappearing in a cloud of smoke, dirt and debris. I screamed "Oh my God!" My mom jumped up and ran to the window as I did. My husband was in the basement and hearing the explosion as well and my screaming came tearing up the stairs. I told him the house near us had just exploded.
We grabbed our shoes and ran out the front door, along with other neighbors.
We got there and a few firemen were already on the scene trying to assess the situation. The entire site was flattened. Electric poles falling over and nothing but rubble. A dog was running around and refusing to come to anyone. It looked and smelled like a gas explosion. Glass from surrounding buildings windows was in the street.
More officers and fireman began to arrive and they worked on getting animals and people out of the close buildings.
I went and got the older man who was standing shell shocked by his house. He was a bit pissed with me for forcing him to go and not letting him go back inside, but I was fine with him being pissed at me.
We left to make room for the rest of the rescue crew and there was little we could do.
I can see the fire hoses from our window and there are now helicopters flying over head. It's scary indeed. We've not been told there is a problem in our area. But this is one reason I don't like gas. I've seen and experienced too many of these explosions. I am just hoping at this point no one was in the home at the time. And also there is a terrible cold front coming through doesn't affect the poor people who lost their windows as well.

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell - here's hoping there was no one inside for sure... I'd guess because it was daytime there's a good chance nobody was home.

It must be quite a shock - it happens here once in a while and it always amazes me how much damage is done,.
nico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are Ruby Johns, mentioned in the paper ? lol.
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit! I'm so glad you are safe. Sheesh!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was shocking to say the least. I've heard gas explosions before but never been this close. With the whole house shaking.
I'm glued to the news right now, waiting for more updates.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow !! glad u are ok Sky
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow Sky, glad you are Ok. I reckon if it was me I'd grab some valuables, load the car and be out of there sharpish.

Count yourself lucky your windows weren't blown out too.

Sorry for the guy who owns the place - at least he's being well cared for.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW scary!!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap Skylace! That is something else! I'm glad yer windows didn't blow out and your hearing is still intact. I had two huge gas tanks just outside of the house I rented a few years back and it always made me nervous. It's enough gas to send me out to space with...LOL! Well, I'm glad no one was killed, so in essence we can say it ended pretty well considering. If I understood the article correctly, it appears the house that blue up was vacant and owned by the city, and the house next door was vacant due to the old guy being placed in a nursing home a few weeks ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right pirty. It looks like no one was injured and both buildings were not being lived in.
They did turn the gas off on two of the streets around here, so I wasn't too worried. But it's still scary indeed.
We are all feeling pretty lucky that it doesn't seem to have caused any problems here. Also, the glass company (which is just down the street from us) was out already at the houses and seeing about sizing people up with windows already to make sure everyone is taken care of and not having a cold night.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice of them. What are the average evening temps in Pittsburgh about this time of the year? Still dipping in the 20's and 30's?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have gathered it's supposed to be in the 40s, however, it seems that everywhere is having a pretty crappy spring. It may even snow tonight Sad
luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow lucky no one was killed - thats crazy Shocked

you got the camera out skylace?! Smile

glad you're alright thumbs
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I just saw an update on this on CNN Headline....am I correct in saying that now they hesitant to say it was an explosion because there was no fire? I am not sure if that is the same story, but how many exploding houses have there been in the last 24 hrs?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it on CNN so I am not sure.

The latest update is that the house next door WASN'T vacant. But by luck the lady who lived there, was called into work this morning on her day off! She may not have a home anymore, but she has her life.

It also looks like 12 homes will have to be torn down due to the damage that was caused.

The gas company is denying this was a gas explosion. But we all smelled gas while we were there and in all honesty, short of a bomb going off, there is nothing that could have caused this large of an explosion. But I know gas companies, they will deny until the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: