Funny how the UN doesn't defend protestors in Parliament Sq.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Funny how the UN doesn't defend protestors in Parliament Sq. Reply with quote

Funny how the UN doesn't defend protestors in Parliament Square

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7312472.stm
More Tibetans arrested in Nepal
"The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Nepal said that the actions by police violated individuals' basic rights to freedom from arbitrary detention and freedom of movement, in addition to impairing rights to peaceful assembly and expression. "

p.s. Is there a UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Britain or Israel or America ? If not, wonder why is there one in Nepal ?
In the USA, demonstrations near politicians are now almost routinely banned, with demonstrations limited to "free speech" zones in the middle of no-where.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can publish what we like, say what we like and do what we like (within certain guidelines), yet our government doesn't kill us for doing so - can you see the difference?
harry perkins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things you should agree on:

1. There should be a UN comission for human rights violations by Israel/US/Uk, and won't be for obvious reasons

2. Nepal is a brutal absolute monarchy and a Western ally, I wouldn't be surprised by human rights violations there, but the ongoing Nepalese revolution is quite an intersting undereported event.

3. Britain is not a tinpot dictatorship, most people are able to organise freely within limits, but recent actions by the governent against Muslims are utterly Orwellian, for example sending Mohammed Atif Siddiq to jail for going on the internet and trying to debar his defence council for disagreeing with the verdict.

Hope this helps Very Happy
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry, I agree 1 & 3 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Siddique]

harry perkins wrote:
2. Nepal is a brutal absolute monarchy and a Western ally, I wouldn't be surprised by human rights violations there, but the ongoing Nepalese revolution is quite an intersting undereported event.

I think the Monarchy has handed over the batton (Britain has a more absolute monarchy) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal

Quote:
On May 18, 2006, Nepal was declared a secular state by the Interim Parliament of Nepal. On December 28, 2007, the interim parliament passed a bill and declared Nepal to be a federal democratic republic.[3] The current king, Gyanendra, will be the last king of Nepal if the present ruling parties win the scheduled April 2008 elections.

As for it being brutal, we have seen how brutal Britain and US can be (including in cases of civil unrest like the LA riots and after the New Orleans floods when people were shot dead by the governments for not following orders).

As for it being a Western ally, I suppose this could be true if China is regarded as a western ally. However China and West are on a collision course.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
We can publish what we like, say what we like and do what we like (within certain guidelines), yet our government doesn't kill us for doing so - can you see the difference?

The problem here is I don't see it proven that China (nor Tibet) kill people for doing what they "like (within certain guidelines)". I don't even think their reaction would be any more ham-fisted than a similar situation in the UK or USA (I recall the shoot to kill instructions at the time of the LA riots and even during the New Orleans floods).

p.s. Tell that to the dead from Bloody Sunday .. and the associated cover-ups. Can't recall too many people being held accountable for that even to this day.
harry perkins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mandy, looks like the republican part of the revolution is on course for completion within a month! But its been a long and winding road, sparked by a Maoist uprising starting in 1996. I don't know the exact state of play of the various factions now, and where the Maoists will go from here, but the Royal Nepali Army at the height of their counterinsurgency, backed by the West, were certainly involved in some nasty business.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry.

Phrases such as the following come as NO surprise :
"but the xxx, backed by the West, were certainly involved in some nasty business."
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
faceless wrote:

The problem here is I don't see it proven that China (nor Tibet) kill people for doing what they "like (within certain guidelines)".

What do you make of the clearwisdom.net website, then? Specifically this page.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:

Reminds me of the Kuwaiti princess in 1990 pretending to be a nurse who said Iraqi soldiers threw Kuwait babies from incubators in order to steal the incubators.
A story repeated by Britain & US .. which later is proven to be false. Britain & US were behind that false story .. and also behind the Tibetans. Draw the line.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Tell that to the dead from Bloody Sunday .. and the associated cover-ups. Can't recall too many people being held accountable for that even to this day.

Everybody with sense knows that the British government are accountable for those murders, just as everyone with a bit of sense knows that the Chinese government are just as guilty for the murders in tibet. You are blindly supporting china for some reason though - why is that? Cos they're a poor little country that can't look after itself? Or because you agree with their totalitarianism?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
nekokate wrote:

Reminds me of the Kuwaiti princess in 1990 pretending to be a nurse who said Iraqi soldiers threw Kuwait babies from incubators in order to steal the incubators.
A story repeated by Britain & US .. which later is proven to be false. Britain & US were behind that false story .. and also behind the Tibetans. Draw the line.

Yes, those torture photos look really fake - there's not an ounce of truth in it at all. The Chinese government are wonderful and treat all of their people with respect. They didn't cruh the farmers' uprisings in the past couple of years, they don't kill thousands of their own people for fairly menial crimes and they don't crush religious expression. They're just fucking lovely.

You've claimed to be a Christian in the past - but here you're refusing to accept that people are being tortured and killed by an atheist government, and are in fact defending it. How does that sit in your conscience?
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
You are blindly supporting china for some reason though - why is that? Cos they're a poor little country that can't look after itself? Or because you agree with their totalitarianism?

I am not blindly supporting them .. but if you mean sympathetic, then YES since I have seen their history (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau, their invasion by Japan etc).

They are also being set up to be in the Axis of Evil by the Neo-cons (alongside Russia which is no longer playing ball like it used to).

My conscience is clear. I think the Chinese government has done a huge amount to liberate and empower the Chinese people in a single generation. They are walking a tightrope of economic liberation and liberties in a world which is ready to undermine it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of the instances you mentioned have taken place since the Peoples' Revolution? I take it you support the mass-murders that occurred during the Cultural Revolution as well? Or don't you think they happened?
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
How many of the instances you mentioned have taken place since the Peoples' Revolution? I take it you support the mass-murders that occurred during the Cultural Revolution as well? Or don't you think they happened?

I don't support any murder (mass murder or otherwise). The cultural revolution is discussed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution
and there is little I can add about it.

What I don't support is the media being used as part of the war effort (as the BBC and other media are letting themselves be).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are denying the murders of both Tibetans and Falun-gong members. You are in fact insulting their memories by saying it was all caused by 'us', denying them the dignity of their actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: