George meets Bahrain PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: George meets Bahrain PM Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the second report says that he is pro-Arab. I'm not sure he'd agree with that...

Thanks for posting, hopefully some video will turn up.
Axlsbabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he mentioned the other day he was in bahrain
harry perkins

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"his latest venture, a movie in the style of US film-maker Michael Moore about the Palestinian issue."

Bring it on... Very Happy
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish he wouldn't talk about these types of creative endeavours as if they were something he can just knock out in a couple of weeks. There was an audiobook he was supposed to be doing a while back too, which never appeared.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that audio book was of the ragged trousered philanthropist, i was looking forward to it - but a whole book in audio format might be a bit much, probably better to just read it
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I wish he wouldn't talk about these types of creative endeavours as if they were something he can just knock out in a couple of weeks. There was an audiobook he was supposed to be doing a while back too, which never appeared.

I asked him about that audiobook a few months ago and he said even then that he was almost finished recording it but just needed to set aside some time to get it finished. I guess he's still looking for the time.

He's also intending to write a book on public speaking and debating, which if he ever gets round to it will surely be a must-have manual for anyone who regularly speaks to crowds. He's the master of oratory!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD140,000 for Palestinians
By GEOFFREY BEW

A CHARITY event in Bahrain raised around BD140,000 in a single night to help the besieged Palestinian people, organisers confirmed yesterday.

British politician George Galloway was the star of Monday's Palestine Support Society dinner and auction, which attracted more than 500 people. The Respect party MP, who represents the London constituency Bethnal Green and Bow, has been an outspoken critic of the treatment of the Palestinian people for more than 20 years. Palestine Support Society vice-president and event organiser Hisham Sater said the money raised included BD90,000 from table bookings and BD38,950 from the auction. Another BD11,000 was also received in cash and cheques, given in donation envelopes placed on all the tables at the event, in the Crowne Plaza hotel.

The auction featured 12 abstract paintings created by several of Bahrain's top artists, while a signed copy of Mr Galloway's latest book The Fidel Castro Handbook went for BD10,000 to Bahraini businessman Tariq Al Kooheji - in the highest single bid of the night. A painting drawn especially for the occasion by a Palestinian woman, who was born in Jerusalem and was forced to flee to Bahrain, went for BD6,000. The money will go towards providing essential emergency medical equipment identified by Health Ministry officials in Palestine.

Mr Sater was delighted by the response. "We sold around 570 chairs on 55 tables and we had 20 people on the top table," he said. "One of the paintings was sold for BD7,000, another for BD6,000 and a third for BD5,000. George Galloway's book went for the highest amount and raised BD10,000. The number of calls I have been receiving since the event has been incredible. We had some people from Europe who attended and there were some donations in US dollars, British pounds and euros. People staying in Bahrain only for a short time also contributed to the cause."

Mr Sater said that every precaution would be taken to make sure the equipment reached the needy and none of the money was wasted, including cutting out the middle men and only paying for the goods upon delivery. "We have already contacted the medical equipment companies to give them the list and we will say it is for charity and hopefully they will provide them at a reduced rate," he said. "We know exactly what we are going to buy as the Health Ministry gave us three brand options on each machine."

Mr Sater said the equipment included Intensive Care Unit machines, infant ventilators, anaesthesia machines and mobile X-ray machines for adults and children. He added that it was hoped the first deliveries would arrive in Palestine within weeks, but added also that it would depend on a number of procedures being completed.

geoff@gdn.com.bh

------------------------

10000 Bahrani Dinars is around £13300 - for a signed copy of a book that you could get off eBay for around £20... The paintings must have been rubbish! Laughing

Still, it's great they raised so much in all (about £186000 all in).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A giveaway at BD10,000..!

A BAHRAINI businessman paid BD10,000 at the auction for a signed copy of British politician George Galloway's latest book - only to give it away. Tariq Al Kooheji outbid Dar Akbhar Al Khaleej Press and Publishing House chairman Anwar Abdulrahman for the copy of The Fidel Castro Handbook.

Mr Abdulrahman started bidding at BD1,000 for the book, but pulled out at BD6,000, after Mr Kooheji upped the bid straight to BD10,000. But last night Mr Kooheji presented the book to Mr Abdulrahman at his office and between them they agreed to give it back to the society, so it can be auctioned again. Mr Kooheji said he gave the book to Mr Abdulrahman in recognition of his "excellent" speech on Mr Galloway's long-time contribution to the Palestinian cause, at the event. He also spoke of his pride that Mr Abdulrahman had become one of the few Arabs to speak at London's House of Commons, after being invited to an event 18 months ago.

"We have decided to give the book back to the Palestine Support Society so it can be auctioned again," said Mr Abdulrahman. Hopefully it will raise even more money next time."

----------------

crikey!
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious! I've got a copy of that book but mine's unsigned, so maybe it's worth even more!!
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: