Shepherd's Pie .....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Shepherd's Pie ..... Reply with quote

Ingredients for 4 servings

6/7 medium potatoes
butter
milk
salt

(1 lb.) ground beef or lamb,
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots diced
frozen green peas
frozen corn
tomato puree
ketchup
Worcestershire sauce

2 beef oxo cubes and half pint of water or i/2 pint of beef stock

Salt, black pepper
grated storng chedder

Method

1. Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Cook in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, or until just tender.
2. Drain and mash the potatoes with the butter and milk and season with salt and pepper.

3. Meanwhile, Sauté the meat until lightly browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon if using ground meat. Add the onion and continue cooking for several minutes until the onion is translucent. Sprinkle the oxos over top, mixing well.add the puree and ketchup Add the stock or water , peas .corn and seasonings, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish. Top with a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese and place in a 190° C (375° F) oven for 30-40 minutes until browned and bubbling. Serve immediately.

I like to make the meat sauce a day ahead .......it always tastes better ......I have given no amounts for a lot of things as it really is a how u want it to taste meal......

this pic is tripple the amount of what I used for the recipe ... As i made 3 of these pies in the picture for work ............

anyways thats my modern day twist on Sheperds pie ....... any questions please ask Smile and most of all enjoy .....

eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Shepherd's pie Aja! Going to have to try your version.... looks yummy!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I love Shepherd's pie Aja! Going to have to try your version.... looks yummy!

cheers EEFan .....

one thing do not add any water .....till u need too... it should be a nice thick mix Smile...... that was an afterthought .......I just cook as I go along .....and i know others follow recipes to the Tee Very Happy i just really add as I go along for taste etc .....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corn? that's not right!

but I'd still eat it - Shepherd's Pie is the best meal...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
corn? that's not right!

Laughing My father-in-law would agree with you --- he thinks that corn and mashed potatoes just don't go together, so when I make Shepherd's pie for them I leave the corn out. Personally though, I think the more veggies the better.

But I will agree that Shepherd's Pie is indeed the best meal---- looks like I've talked myself into making it this weekend Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good for sure Aja. I will have to give this recipe a go. We love Shepard's pie and I'm always up for trying a new recipe. Especially one of yours.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends loves Shepard's Pie - cos he can gobble it down without having to chew Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
corn? that's not right!

sometimes if i dont have corn .....I add baked beans shhh
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beans sounds like a good idea - I'll give that a try.

On a seperate note for pedantics out there, I was always told that Shepherds Pie was made with lamb (Shepherd…Lamb…geddit?) and that if you make it with beef it's called cottage pie.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
faceless wrote:
corn? that's not right!

sometimes if i dont have corn .....I add baked beans shhh

noooo! haha

And you're right there maycm, and minced lamb really is better - and if you can get halal, even better!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a shepard's pie, but always wanted to try one, but with beef 'cause I don't like lamb. Perhaps I'll try this recipe since I will have some spare time in Denmark after school. ;-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:

On a seperate note for pedantics out there, I was always told that Shepherds Pie was made with lamb (Shepherd…Lamb…geddit?) and that if you make it with beef it's called cottage pie.

I've heard that as well maycm...... only problem is, when I say "Cottage" pie, everyone goes, "Huh?" Sometimes, it's just not worth the time to explain the difference Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
maycm wrote:

I've heard that as well maycm...... only problem is, when I say "Cottage" pie, everyone goes, "Huh?" Sometimes, it's just not worth the time to explain the difference Laughing

Ok heres my take ...... Smile

Since i was a little kid ......i would say about 6/7 my Nana used to cook a Sunday roast....and Every Monday ....we would have Shepherds pie .......made from the left overs of the Sunday roast ...... be it Beef or lamb ..... and she would just add the mash on top and extra veg if needed ...... Now maybe thats just a London Thing ......and the Norvaners did it different .....Very Happy

To me a cottage pie is layers of meat and potatoes ..Like a Lancashire Hot pot ........ ?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your nana should be held up for treason! haha

As far as I know, Shepherd's Pie should be minced mutton and onion (because you wouldn't actually want to mince lamb as it's already tender) in gravy with potato on top. But Cottage pie is minced beef with carrots and potato on top.

I make a curried mince version (using one spoonful of patak's bhuna paste in the mince) and that really gives it a unique twist. You need to make sure it's got a fair bit of liquid rather than being firm as then the curry flavour goes into the potatoes too, colouring them great... mmmmm

HP sauce is also a great additive, though not too much.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think face has it, i've eaten quite a bit of both over my life but i couldn't really remember, but either way - they don't have sweetcorn in! baked beans are acceptable though Laughing

thanks aja, i might try this tomorrow, i was gonna do a chili but now i fancy giving face's idea with the curry paste mix a go food
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: