Prince Andrew rebukes US on Iraq

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Prince Andrew rebukes US on Iraq Reply with quote

Quote:
Prince Andrew rebukes US on Iraq

The Duke of York has criticised the US administration for failing to listen to advice from Britain on how to avoid problems following the war in Iraq.

Prince Andrew said the war had led to a "healthy scepticism" in Britain towards what was said in Washington.

The duke made the comments in an interview with the International Herald Tribune ahead of a 10-day trip to promote British business in the US.

He said the US should have learned lessons from British colonial history.

The duke, who is fourth in line to the throne, told the newspaper there was feeling in Britain of "why didn't anyone listen to what was said and the advice that was given?".

BBC royal correspondant Peter Hunt said it was unusual for a senior royal to so freely enter the diplomatic and political arena.

He said that while the wisdom of the prince's move may be questioned by some, his officials characterised the comments as a "thoughtful appraisal" of the situation which he stood by.

The prince emphasised the importance of British-American relations, but said there had been "occasions when people in the UK would wish that those in responsible positions in the US might listen and learn from our experiences".

"If you are looking at colonialism, if you are looking at operations on an international scale, if you are looking at understanding each other's culture, understanding how to operate in a military insurgency campaign - we have been through them all," he said.

"We've won some, lost some, drawn some. The fact is there is quite a lot of experience over here which is valid and should be listened to."

During the interview, the Prince also said the 1982 Falklands War changed him "out of all recognition" and left him with a "different view of life".

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7227627.stm

not that i care much what any of the monarchy think, buts its unusual for one of them to come out with something like this - usually they keep quiet on everything, except prince charles and his organic food and the countryside etc

i actually didn't mind prince charles until he hooked up with the dictator musharraf
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have more respect if Andrew's criticism wasn't about getting away with a war crime. It is like a cop criticising that bank robbers for messing up their escape route.

Andrew should have criticised the invasion itself. Without that criticism, he is just a neo-con supporter. No wonder he hooked up with dictator Musharraf.

Andrew probably now is advising how to nuke Iran "with minimum blowback"
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from being a member of the royal fam'... He's been in the services & he saw combat, so, unlike the rest of his kin.. I'm more inclined to listen to his words on war.

I'm listening to BBC-America news right now & awaiting the story to run, I will perhaps comment more later.

But I think it's fine that he has opinions, ideas & voices them.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of agree with you 6ULDV8 .. up to the point when I think he becomes pushing for new wars.

Indeed, his article could be regarded as pushing for more wars, i.e. saying that if the US listens to Britain in future, then the next war could have a better outcome than Iraq. This is the opposite view of the anti-War movement which believes Iraq was going to be a disaster, once the fatal decision to bomb or invade was made.

I think he crossed the line with this article, by effectively condoning the invasion. This gives the Iraq invasion a royal stamp of approval -- so it isn't just Tony Blair's fault.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This gives the Iraq invasion a royal stamp of approval -- so it isn't just Tony Blair's fault.

Alas, the moment anybody in a Brit' uniform headed out in that direction, let alone discussed doing so, it had the royal stamp of approval...

Quote:
his article could be regarded as pushing for more wars, i.e. saying that if the US listens to Britain in future, then the next war could have a better outcome than Iraq

I think it 'could' be seen that way too, but I am sure it's not what he meant it as.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the queen myself. She could have refused to sign any declarations that lead us all into this, if she was prepared to stop being queen, but obviously that position is more important than the million+ lives in Iraq alone. The selfish old ratbag.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the immortal words of Edwin Starr:

War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed unusual for a member of the royal family to speak their political opinion. I think that, no matter if I agree with his statement or not, it is a indication that at least some of the members of the royal family want to bring their own opinions and human side to their public life, something they have not done in decades. Kudos to Andrew for having the backbone to state his own opinion. Hopefully, for those of us that follow the royals and like the tradition, this is a sign of things to come and a more modernized House of Winsor.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not .. if it points to more warfare .. as I feel it does ..

UK taxpayers pay a huge amount to keep the monarchy .. and over 50% of UK citizens didn't want the Iraq war .. and even more don't want the Iran war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: