Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Skype Reply with quote

Does anyone else use this? I've just installed it after finding a headset in a pound shop and it seems to be working well. I was thinking it might be interesting if we got a few people online to talk about kebabs/tv/politics or something...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used it, but I'm certainly game. Move over talkSPORT -- make room for talkCOUCH.

Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you really need is a microphone, though the cheap headset does the trick for sure

I'm not sure if talkCOUCH would be a good name though, it might end up attracting followers of the soft-furnishing trade - and we don't want that sort! haha
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
all you really need is a microphone, though the cheap headset does the trick for sure

I'm not sure if talkCOUCH would be a good name though, it might end up attracting followers of the soft-furnishing trade - and we don't want that sort! haha

Laughing

I've not used them but would be interested if we could all chat........ let me know how it works out. I've got a headset/microphone, so should be easy enough for me to setup.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it. It's okay. I've mainly used it for one on one communication, but I've heard it used on internet radio shows and whatnot. I'd be up for a chat about Corrie and EE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have about 10 Skype phones. Had to do a huge review of them. They're very handy. The only reason we didn't use them is where we used to live we would have had a long distance phone number.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then, well it's easy enough to setup - go here to get the program and it should all be plain sailing. I plugged my headset into the mic socket and it set everything else up.

www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/

my 'number' is faceless7844

I'm sure we could get a good bit of stuff going, the good thing being that some people are better at talking than typing. I've a feeling that 'pirty on soaps' could be worth the listen for a start! haha
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a number of the IP based phones for 1-1 communications (e.g. Yahoo, MSN, Skype). Yahoo allows conferences amongst invited individuals.

The idea of using Skype for radio is a good one (something I came across when looking at radio shows). Some web sites do use it. Unsure how a many-to-1 show would work, since I assume 2nd caller-in would get the engaged signal. I also wonder how optimised the traffic is, e.g. if broadcaster talks, and he has 10 open connections, if that uses 10x the bandwidth.

I will mention that some people use Skype so that they get a US or UK tel # on which they can be contactable even when travelling. Skype also has inexpensive computer to land-line calling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: