Reggae Reggae sauce .......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God that picture of cheese on toast looks so friggin' delicious!! I love a greasy grilled cheese sandwich, especially if some bacon is tossed in there :-D If yer gonna be bad, ya might as well go all the way! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, AJA. I will definitely try this recipe Very Happy
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw this and thought of aja Smile

Caribbean Food Made Easy

Caribbean cookery series in which passionate food enthusiast Levi Roots travels around Jamaica and across the UK showing how to bring sunshine flavours to your kitchen

its on bbc2, so you can get it on iplayer. i'm not sure if you'll be able to use iplayer normally, but i think there was a thread here somewhere that showed how you can use it outside the uk or download the files, or maybe you can grab a torrent somewhere
minterdan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this sauce! Try a packet of plain dried noodles boil them up for 3 mins or so till soft and the water has nearly evaporated. Add some reggae sauce to the noodles and warm through. It makes a real quick spicey snack and dead cheap too. Perfect for late night snacking
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bitch!
luke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon's Den star sued over Reggae Reggae Sauce recipe

Dragons’ Den star Levi Roots is being sued by an old friend who claims that he is the real inventor of the entrepreneur’s famous Reggae Reggae Sauce.

Tony Bailey, who worked with Mr Roots for 17 years on a food stall, has filed a claim in the High Court for more than £300,000.

He alleges that Mr Roots, 51, stole the sauce’s recipe from him before he appeared on the hit BBC programme three years ago.

Lucrative: Reggae Reggae sauce entrepreneur Levi Roots and Dragon's Den tycoon Peter Jones

Mr Roots won £50,000 backing on the show after he impressed tycoon Peter Jones with a recipe he said had been devised by his grandmother.

Just 24 hours after the broadcast, Sainsbury’s offered to stock the sauce and it was soon outselling Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

It is understood that Mr Bailey claims that Mr Roots invented the story about his grandmother as a ‘marketing ploy’ to persuade the Dragons to back him.

Last night a source close to Mr Bailey said Mr Roots only learned of the sauce’s ingredients when he worked with Mr Bailey at a takeaway food stall in Brixton, South London.

The source said: ‘The recipe for the sauce was definitely Tony’s.

'Levi did tell Tony that he was going to go on Dragons’ Den but Tony was amazed when he then lied about the provenance of the sauce.

‘After the programme Levi made some payments to Tony which were never really explained.

'At first it didn’t seem right to take legal action but Tony is angry at how things have turned out.’

Last night Mr Roots said: ‘I am driving and you know how dangerous it is to be on the phone when you are driving. I can’t talk to you.’

When asked by The Mail on Sunday last December about the dispute with Mr Bailey, he said: ‘I don’t want to say anything.’

from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1268600/Dragons-Den-star-sued-Reggae-Reggae-sauce-recipe.html
luke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a fraud! Judge blasts Reggae Reggae star Levi Roots for lying to Dragons' Den millionaires... but entrepreneur wins court case over sauce's origins

Reggae Reggae Sauce millionaire Levi Roots has been blasted by a High Court judge as a fraud - but still won his legal battle over the recipe's origins.

Judge Mark Pelling attacked the entrepreneur for misleading the public, saying he was a 'fake' who 'regards the truth as an optional extra'.

But he ruled that 52-year-old Mr Roots did not steal the recipe for the jerk sauce from friend Tony Bailey.

The hugely successful businessman had claimed on TV show Dragons' Den that the sauce was invented by his grandmother and had been the 'taste of Notting Hill Carnival' since the early 1990s.

But he had been accused by best friend Mr Bailey, 52, of taking the recipe and breaching a business agreement between the two of them and financial adviser Sylvester Williams over its marketing.

But Judge Pelling dismissed both claims and questioned the credibility of the evidence given by all three men during the two-week court battle.

He said Mr Roots was guilty of 'fraudulent misrepresentation'.

Father-of-seven Mr Roots had already been called a 'bare-faced liar' by lawyers acting for Bailey and Williams after he admitted the story behind Reggae Reggae Sauce was a 'marketing ploy'.

When he appeared on the BB2 show in 2007, he lied to secure £50,000 investment from 'Dragons' Peter Jones and Richard Farleigh, the judge said, and the story is still written on the best-selling product's label.

Since his appearance on the show, Mr Roots's profile has sky-rocketed and his Reggae Reggae Sauce empire is now worth millions - selling a range of dips, sauces and relishes, recipe books, crisps, nuts, pasties, ready meals and soft drinks.

Dismissing Bailey's claims, Judge Pelling said: 'I have concluded that I ought not to accept the evidence of Mr Bailey or Mr Roots save where it is against the person concerned or is admitted or is corroborated.

'I am entirely satisfied that Mr Sylvester sought to mislead me in a number of ways.

'The inconsistencies I have identified suggests that Mr Roots is likely to say what he considers meets the needs of the moment and regards the truth as an optional extra to be adopted only where it is consistent with those needs.

'Mr Roots accepted that on his own case the suggestion contained in literature prepared in connection with the product that the product was based on his grandmother's recipe was untrue.

'Mr Roots attempted to explain these untruths away as "marketing".

'Marketing involves persuading people to purchase particular products my accentuating the quality and utility of the products or services concerned.

'Whilst the process will usually involve maximising what can legitimately be said in respect of the product or service concerned, it does not involve what can properly, if legalistically, be called fraudulent misrepresentations.

'Another example of this approach is to be found in a document "application details for Dragons' Den".

'This document contains at least two false representations that Mr Roots knew to be untrue at the time the document was written.

'First, under the subheading "What is its unique selling point?", the product is described as having been "voted the best and tastiest jerk barbeque sauce in the world". It had not been.

'It was described as having been tested for 15 years at Notting Hill Carnival. It had not been. It was on Mr Roots's own case it had come into existence in 2005.'

However, Judge Pelling dismissed the claim of breach of confidence for the sauce, as Bailey's recipe was 'riddled with imprecision'.

He said: 'There is nothing special either about the ingredients or the methodology of making them into a sauce.

'I do not consider this recipe is sufficiently well developed to be capable of being confidential information.'

Judge Pelling also said that any business agreement between the trio depended on an investment of £5,000 - which never came.

Mr Bailey and Mr Sylvester attempted to sue Mr Roots for £300,000 each - shares in the profits made by Reggae Reggae sauce.

During the two-week hearing at the High Court, he admitted his back story to the sauce was 'lies' but denied stealing Mr Bailey's recipe, claiming to have developed his own from a basic jerk sauce recipe in his flat in Brixton, South London.

But Mr Bailey claimed he had kept the recipe secret since 1984, before being tricked into writing it down by Mr Roots in February 2006.

He said he had not written it down for 22 years, after memorising it and destroying the original copy.

Giving evidence, Mr Bailey said: 'The first time I ever wrote it and gave it to someone was Levi.'

Mr Williams and Mr Bailey were ordered to pay costs of £250,000 to the defence.

Judge Pelling refused them leave to appeal saying: 'It was a claim which was advanced in circumstances where, to the knowledge of the claimants, they had no proper basis for advancing it.'

In 2007, Richard Farleigh sold his 20 per cent share in Mr Roots's business, bought for £25,000 a year earlier, for £200,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066232/Judge-blasts-Reggae-Reggae-star-Levi-Roots-lying-Dragons-Den-millionaires.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold up, there's a Reggae Reggae Sauce soft drink?

Fizzy vinegar ftw!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: