Student Tasered for asking question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Student Tasered for asking question Reply with quote

Shocked
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! That is insane! He didn't do anything! Even Kerry said to leave him alone and to let him answer the question.

And all those cops for one kid! Jesus! Something is seriously fucked up there.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief - so much for free speech and democracy!!

Isn't this the sort of thing that US troops get sent halfway around the world to fight against?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question about secret societies was what set the cops off... I'm guessing they were briefed beforehand (not by Kerry or his team) to take out anyone who asked such questions.

I used to hate america because of its global oppression, but the more I see of it crushing its own people the more I feel sorry for the average person who believes that they live in a free country.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty messed up. I mean, for sure the kid was resisting arrest, but the point is he was doing nothing worthy of being arrested in the first place!

I get the feeling some police officers just love electrocuting people, so they'll do it at the drop of a hat. Like the guy said in the newsroom, if all those officers were unable to cuff him without incapacitating him with a taser, then he must be one strong college student.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he is a Gator and deserved it just for that!! Laughing

Seriously, overkill seems to be a tactic that is alive and well in every police force...internationally. Look at how the Spanish and Italian police handle English football fans. IMO most police forces have that "small man" syndrome running rampant through out...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but dealing with football fans is a fair bit different from dealing with a student at a political rally - and English football fans in particular have a long reputation for being thugs.

I've seen 3 videos like this from america in a few days and while I don't doubt that it happens all over the world, it seems to be happening more and more against those americans who make political points.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAND OF THE FREE!
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a day late, the BBC finally decides to cover the issue
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
but dealing with football fans is a fair bit different from dealing with a student at a political rally - and English football fans in particular have a long reputation for being thugs.

I've seen 3 videos like this from america in a few days and while I don't doubt that it happens all over the world, it seems to be happening more and more against those americans who make political points.

It is a different situation but the over-reaction is the same. It is the mentallity of police/military, force first. Everyone is so afraid of things "getting out of control", that they start throwing red cards right away. There is no more common sense...
luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the guys web site, looks like they're organising a protest

luke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a longer version

whats shocking as well as him being treated like this for nothing is how the rest of the hall did pretty much nothing, just sat back and watched

its a good book if you've not read it. best not wave it on front of the police though ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll teach him. Dare to be inquisitive, you take your chances...

And they wonder why people don't trust cops. Too many of them are pulling sh*t like this.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just heard this story covered on fox - wow, they're twisting it round making it out this kid wanted this to happen so he could get on youtube!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Author of tasered student's 'mystery book' points to irony in incident
Jason Rhyne
Published: Wednesday September 19, 2007

The book Andrew Meyer clutched in his hands moments before being swarmed and eventually tasered by police--a "mysterious" yellow book, reported the Washington Post--isn't so mysterious at all: it's the latest from BBC investigative reporter and author Greg Palast.

"About eleven people called me after it happened," Palast told RAW STORY. "Then I saw the full clip on YouTube."

Palast's book, Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans--Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House Gone Wild, was the basis for Meyer's comments to Sen. John Kerry, who had been fielding student questions in a forum at the University of Florida.

On video, Meyer can be heard telling Kerry he'd like to recommend the book to him.

"It's called 'Armed Madhouse' by Greg Palast," the student said, "He's the top investigative journalist in America."

"I've already read it," Kerry replied, as Meyer went on to repeat conclusions from Palast's book, which contends Kerry actually won the 2004 presidential election.

What Meyer was referring to, according to Palast, was a chapter in the book called "Kerry Won. Now Get Over It," in which he says millions of votes cast in the 2004 election were discarded, not counted or prevented from being cast in the first place--a fact the author says has special relevance to the locale of Meyer's arrest.

"There's an entire dimension here that's not being covered here," Palast said of the controversy. "The interesting thing to me as a journalist, is that the [Meyers incident] occurred in Alachua County, Florida, one of the worst places in the country for black voters."

Addressing Kerry before he was taken away by officers, Meyer cites reports, presumably from Palast's book, about disenfranchisement of voters in Florida and Ohio.

"They were deliberately disenfranchising voters," Palast said of Alachua, the county home to Gainesville's University of Florida. "Gainesville is horrendous."

Calling the area the "center of the attack on the black voter," Palast pointed to a 2001 article he wrote in The Nation which details what he says were efforts under Republican-led state government to purge voting rolls of felons who were convicted in other states--eligible voters under Florida law--almost half of which may be black, according to statistics in the piece.

"It's one ugly place," said Palast, who also added that the police's actions in the Meyer case pale in comparison to intimidation techniques used by authorities against minority voters during elections.

As for the tasered Meyer, the author says he sympathizes.

"I must admit I feel some appreciation for [Meyer],"Palast writes at his website, "especially because, even while he was being shot with untold amps of electricity, until he was handcuffed, he would not let go of his mysterious yellow book..."

Palast says he would like to speak to the student and has contacted Meyer's lawyer to arrange a conversation.

"Maybe I'll go down and cover the trial," the journalist added, dead seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: