It's all up to you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: It's all up to you! Reply with quote

So, here's our new section on health. This is really going to be about what you want. Periodically I'll be posting articles about topics that I think you might find interesting or that might apply to something we see in another section like News, etc.

If you have any health related questions, I can do my best to answer them or find some relevant information for you. Just remember.... I'm not a doctor so can't practice medicine, but I can give you my opinion.

So, if you have any ideas about what you'd like to see, feel free to post it here or send me a PM if you'd prefer to keep it private.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres one for U

How to live with Diabetes ....... Diet etc etc ......
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
heres one for U

How to live with Diabetes ....... Diet etc etc ......

Cheers Aja! That's a good one indeed --- and since my husband is diabetic, I can speak to that first hand. I'm also involved in a diabetes project at work right now, so it's very fresh in my mind. Plus, Sir Frederick Banting, came up with his first thoughts on insulin right here in my home town Smile

I guess the best piece of advice I have is to keep the blood sugars under good control. Evidence has shown that agressive treatment to keep blood glucose down can extend a person's life as well as increase their quality of life.. This can involve diet and exercise as well as medications (oral or insulin). And don't let anyone tell you a diabetic can't have sugar! They actually have to have a certain amount.... they can enjoy their treats by working them into their diet plan. If anyone out there is newly diabetic, you might want to ask your health care provider about the option of Carbohydrate counting... it can allow for a lot of flexibility. And following the glycemic index is also a good idea.

Did you have a specific question about diabetes Aja? I can try to answer that for you. In the meantime, here a few very good websites with lots of reliable information:

Diabetes UK

Canadian Diabetes Association

American Diabetes Association

Diabetes Scene
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EEFan..... Its more for the fella Than me...... Since he had the surgery....It seems he now has Diabetes ...we are waiting on more blood work results ....but i will pass these sites on to him .....and come back to You with more Questions soon ....

Thanks .....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
Thanks EEFan..... Its more for the fella Than me...... Since he had the surgery....It seems he now has Diabetes ...we are waiting on more blood work results ....but i will pass these sites on to him .....and come back to You with more Questions soon ....

Thanks .....

I kind of thought it was more the fella, especially with his history of the heart problems. It's likely he had the diabetes before the surgery, it's just all come to light now.

It's really interesting that you should bring this up with me right now. I am involved in a project at work where we will be monitoring diabetic patients in the community. They will be sending in their blood glucose, weight and blood pressure readings daily and we will be watching for any concerning values. This will be combined with nursing visits to the home to review things like diet, exercise, other symptoms, etc. We are predicting that a large part of the group that we'll be targeting will be those people with heart disease since it's one of the "comorbidities" or conditions that frequently happens with diabetics.

I'm going to see what our standard resources are at work and forward them on to you so you will have some good references.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EEfan....This is all so new to Me .....I basicly eat what I want .....I have always had a pretty good diet ...at least i thought i did..... Smile I mean I have always used fresh veg and stuff and hate frozen precooked food.....love fish....love chicken don't eat a lot of red meat .....eat salads everyday etc etc....

Now I see after fellas surgery .....and having to watch the sodium and fat content and stuff .....where I was going wrong ...... ie mayo.... butter.....ready made barbie sauces.....salad dressings ...to name but a few......

After the fellas heart attack and surgery......I went and had a full check up........all the results are slowy but surely coming in......

mamogram fine..... pap smear fine ......that bone stuff Smile fine .....but my cholestral is a wee bit high 218 and should be 200 he said .....

which puts us back to diets...... and Diabetes I am quite willing to learn......plus I could do with losing a few Pounds Smile

They are sending the fella on a three day thing ....to learn about diabetes in a couple of weeks .....But hes a man and u know he wont tell me Jack shit ..... Grrrrrrrr.....

Thanks EEFan and Love this Thread.......
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're liking it, Aja Smile And feel free to PM me with any questions about the diabetes thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: