What's the story, morning glory?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: What's the story, morning glory? Reply with quote

This new section is here for talk about all aspects of history. It's not meant to be dry, but relative to the human condition today, so if you've got something interesting that you'd like to share, feel free. So much of today's society is oblivious to its roots but that's probably more to do with teaching than the stories themselves, so let's hear what you've got.

I'd post more but my memory's pretty crap and I've trouble remembering what I did even yesterday...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memories good once I get my pictures out. However, they're all packed with the up coming move! Laughing
Once I'm settled I think I will be able to actually spend some time sorting through them all and kind of working out my own family history.
Bat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has a flower got to do with history Face?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the 'morning glory' flower that the old saying is based on. Why it came to mean that is probably something good to know, but then again, it could be just a random association. That's history for you...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the history of the Morning Glory, but I do know that it's seeds, if ingested, produce effects very similar to LSD.

As for Face's reference to (Whats the story) Morning Glory--- here's the background: (from wikipedia)

What's the Story) Morning Glory? is the second album by the English rock band Oasis, released in October 1995. The album went straight to #1 in the UK, selling 347,000 in its first week. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? spawned four hit singles in the UK, two of which were #1s. It sold over 19 million copies worldwide,[1] including over 4.3 million copies in the UK, 14x platinum, and is currently the third biggest-selling album in UK chart history.[2] In addition, Morning Glory has gone 4x platinum in the United States[3] As well, "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova" went Gold in the United States.

The album, which was recorded in less than two weeks, contains arguably the band's two most famous songs, "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back in Anger", along with "Champagne Supernova" and their first UK #1 single, "Some Might Say".

In 1997 Morning Glory was named the 5th greatest album of all time in a 'Music of the Millennium' poll conducted by HMV, Channel 4, The Guardian and Classic FM. In 1998 Q magazine readers placed it at number 8, and in 2000 it achieved the same position in Q's list of the 100 Greatest British Albums Ever. The editors of Q magazine declarred it the 'album of the decade in 1999. The readers of Q placed it seventh on the 2006 top 100 greatest albums of all time list. In 2003, the album was ranked number 376 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

[edit] History
Main article: The Battle of Britpop
The success of Morning Glory catapulted Oasis from a successful Britpop band to one of the biggest bands in the world with a peak being reached in the spring and summer of 1996 with several massive open air concerts in the UK, which included two nights at Knebworth in front of a combined audience of 250,000 people (125,000 each night) with over 2.5 million applying to buy tickets. The album is currently the second best selling studio album in the UK, behind The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The title of the album is said to have been inspired by a friend of Noel's who used the phrase during a telephone conversation. The phrase "Morning Glory" is British slang, referring to an erection experienced after waking up.[4] The title is further possibly explained by the pair's use of the hallucinogenic 'Morning glory' seeds[citation needed].
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exelent album, one of the best in many years , just watched the story of dark side of the moon . it was on the charts for 714 weeks , 14 and a half years , now that is what you call music history
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a guy in the bar last night and he said to me that Oasis were the worlds last rock band and that whats the story was the worlds last rock album, I asked him what he meant , Im a big Oasis fan but I would put that much praise on them, but what he said was they were the last truly big rock band to emerge before cd's sales became more or less obsolete and WTSMG was the last huge selling rock album , and there will proberbly not be any more huge sellers or huge bands as music sales will soon end and the way things are going bands of that stature or longevity will simply not fit into the way bands are marketed, many artists are already giving away their new music , like Prince, George Micheal, even Elton John is going to be giving his new work for free
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: