EE: Fwank's dead...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: EE: Fwank's dead... Reply with quote

Ex-EastEnders star Mike Reid dies
28/07/07

Former EastEnders actor Mike Reid has died at the age of 67 after suffering a suspected heart attack, his agent said. The actor, who played Frank Butcher in the BBC soap, was living in Spain at the time of his death. Mr Reid started his career as a stand-up comedian before working as a stunt driver. He went on to work in TV shows including Doctor Who and Minder.

His agent David Hahn told the BBC that Mr Reid had been feeling very well in the past few weeks. He said: "Mike was in fine fettle form. In fact only a couple of weeks ago we were having dinner over here. Mike that particular day went to see his consultant and had a full medical - and they gave him a clean bill of health." And Mr Hahn paid tribute to Mr Reid, who he described as "a very, very, very, funny" man. He said: "He would see the funny side of any situation, no matter how black it was. Even now I'm sure he's laughing."

Close friend of the actor and fellow comedian Frank Carson told BBC News 24 it was "absolutely devastating". "We have just lost our friend Bernard Manning a fortnight ago. I just can't realise... this is devastating news," he said. He said he had first met Mike around 30 years ago when they were both working as comedians. "This is horrendous news. "Everyone in showbusiness will be shocked because this was one of the great friends of anything you wanted to do in showbusiness," he added.

In the late 1970s Mr Reid hosted the ITV children's TV quiz show Runaround, remembered for its incomprehensible rules and the incongruity of him as presenter. He joined EastEnders in 1987, quickly turning Frank into one of the show's most popular characters. After taking a couple of lengthy breaks from the show he made his last appearance as Frank in December 2005 when his long-standing relationship with ex-wife Pat Evans finally came to an end. One of Albert Square's most memorable moments was when Frank, in a bid to win Pat back, turned up on her doorstep wearing nothing but a flashing dickie bow.

--------------
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that bloody bow! Laughing Sorry to hear he's gone.... he wasn't one of my favourite characters, but he did add a little humour to the program now and then.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with eefan 100% on this. Hard to believe and he really wasn't that old. Shame really. I've seen him in other things besides EE and enjoyed him in that as well. I wonder if they will write it into the show some how?
tec
Bad Toad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Frank's character and think Mike made him very believable. Here's an article and great photo I saw in the news today of Frank & Pat. RIP Mike.

pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the guy. He was pretty young to just drop like that. I guess it's better than a long suffering painful illness. RIP Mike Reid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read today that he was a stunt-double for Roger Moore in the original tv-series of 'The Saint'. That's quite cool...

btw - William Cook who wrote the article that tec posted is a highly-regarded critic in the stand-up world. He's made so many people's reputations...
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really liked Mike Reid, so I'm sorry to hear of his demise from this world. I even remember "Runaround" - I used to think it was pretty cool and would have loved to have been on it.

I hope Pat & Peggy make some reference to him on EE...that would be a fitting tribute.

Farewell, Frank...Mike...you were a good 'un!

Crying
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastEnders to pay tribute to Reid
Saturday 3rd November

EastEnders is to honour the late Mike Reid with a week of special episodes to be shown in 2008, according to the papers. The Mirror reports that the week-long tribute will culminate in a lavish funeral for his character Frank Butcher. "He'll be given a proper East End send-off," an insider told the paper.

A number of old faces are expected to return for filming in the Spring, including Sophie Lawrence and Charlie Brooks, who played Frank's daughters Diane and Janine. Sid Owen - who plays Frank's son Ricky - will already have returned to the soap by then, along with Patsy Palmer, who is returning as Ricky's ex wife Bianca.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice touch! Am looking forward to that!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am as well Lost. It should be quite nice to see. I was hoping they would write the death into the storyline but I guess not.
Axlsbabe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah very nice
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be interesting to see how it's done.
tec
Bad Toad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to hear. Look forward to seeing them. Thanks for the heads-up.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: