Benidorm gets a second series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Benidorm gets a second series Reply with quote

Benidorm gets a second series

Benidorm, ITV1's newest sitcom, has been re-commissioned for another season. Derren Litten's comedy, which is currently showing on Thursday evenings (episode five of six goes out tonight), is about a group of British holiday makers at The Solana holiday resort in Spain. The comedy stars Johnny Vegas, Steve Pemberton, Siobhan Finneran, Sheila Reid, Nicholas Burns, Abigail Cruttenden, Paul Bazely, Hugh Sachs, Kenny Ireland and Janine Duvitski.

The news has just come through that Paul Jackson, Director of Entertainment and Comedy, has decided to give the comedy - his first sitcom commission since taking up the position - another series and that it will be an extended run this time. The announcement comes as somewhat of a surprise because it is generally agreed that the first series of Benidorm under-performed.

The sitcom received a lukewarm reception from fans when it debuted four weeks ago and it was ripped to shreds by the critics too (one quote from the papers was: "The only thing it lacks is a reason for existing - oh, and real characters, humour and anything to stop you falling asleep whenever it's on". Ouch).

Benidorm's ratings haven't been great either. They have been lower than ITV1 normally gets for its 10pm slot. That said, the audience share has been recovering from the ratings crash, an encouraging sign for any TV programme. Episode four last week got an acceptable, but not amazing, 3.7 million (it should be noted it was still the lowest figure in the 10pm weeknight slot for ITV though).

Paul Jackson's response is: "The decision was made to re-commission the sitcom after the fourth episode as it became apparent that the series maintained healthy ratings against some tough competition. I am thrilled; we had such a great cast involved and the writer Derren Litten is one of the finest comedy talents I've come across in years."

Many are speculating that this re-commission is ITV signaling to the industry that they are going to stick to their commitment to produce more comedy. There has been speculation the channel might give-up following the disappointing start it has made.

Tiger Aspect will begin filming the eight new episodes of the comedy on location in Benidorm later in the year (getting paid to go on holiday... it's alright for some!).
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised it got such bad reviews. I know some of the humor is very low-brow but overall I think it's been wonderful. Great sense of humor, wonderful one-liners and laughs all around.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a great series indeed. There's never many sitcoms that stand out for the complete effect rather than just the writing or acting alone, but this one certainly does.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it to be one of the best I've seen. I love this type of humour and it's kept me laughing like mad.

I just don't get how anyone couldn't find this a right laugh. The writing is brilliant and the actors are perfectly suited for the roles they play.

I rarely find a programme that I want to keep to watch over and over and this one is a defo keeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: