Barbara Windsor features

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Barbara Windsor features Reply with quote

At 72 Barbara Windsor on ageism, Arlene & helping Great Ormond Street
Adam Lee-Potter
16/08/2009
mirror.co.uk

Barbara Windsor has been a household name ever since she – literally – burst on to our screens in Carry On Camping. But Barbara, a star for 40 years, knows it could all end tomorrow. Even she has fallen victim to the dreaded showbiz curse – ageism.

“I found myself in the doldrums in the early Nineties,” admits 72-year-old Barbara, whose friend Arlene Phillips was recently sacked by the BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing after turning 66. “I was too old to play the dolly bird any longer and I looked too young to play a woman of my real age. No one ever saw me as the aunt, mother or grandmother. I was reduced to touring third-rate theatres round the country with my one-woman show – Carry On Barbara. I was on the verge of giving up showbiz for good when the call came from EastEnders. It was the beginning of a golden time. The beautiful thing is that ageism just doesn’t exist on EastEnders. The show saved me.”

Barbara knows she’s one of the lucky ones and is quick to stick up for Strictly’s Arlene. “The BBC won’t have taken the decision to get rid of her lightly,” she says. “But Arlene is a total pro. And she looks fabulous. I’m sure she’s a bit disappointed but have you heard her complain? No. I saw her recently, and she’s not devastated. It’s an exciting time for her.”

And Barbara is delighted that Arlene has been appointed the Government’s new dancing queen, with a mission to get Britons fit. However, she is all too aware that their business is fickle. “I’m not immune. Recently I got savaged after going out in public wearing too much make-up. As a pro you take the knocks and move on. There are always jobs for good actresses – look at Sheila Hancock, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and June Brown. You don’t see them down the job centre.”

She adds: “But I’ve been incredibly lucky. I’ve worked in two iconic shows, Carry On and EastEnders. If it all ended tomorrow – and it could – I’d just be terribly grateful. I’ve been fortunate enough to do what I love and get paid for it. Whatever happens, I know one thing for sure: my hours might be long but my job isn’t work. Working as a nurse at an NHS hospital, that’s work. Acting is just fun.”

Barbara is living proof of the rejuvenating effects of sex, a toyboy husband and, of course, a top-notch plastic surgeon. She’s busier than ever, starring with Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s new movie Alice In Wonderland, which opens next year, and devoting herself to raising money for Great Ormond Street children’s hospital. And she does look terrific.

“I am aware that I look good for my age. It’s my genes. My dad looked incredibly young, so did my mother. And a younger husband helps. Scott is only 45. If he hadn’t come along, I don’t know what I’d have done.” Barbara, who had been married twice before, wed recruitment consultant Scott Mitchell 10 years ago. And the couple are devoted. They wear matching platinum wedding rings inscribed “True Love”. Even now, Scott asks her at the end of every day: “How’s Wifey today?” She replies: “I’m very well, Husband.”

And for a woman 12 years past her bus pass, Barbara certainly hasn’t lost her sex appeal – or sex drive. For her 70th birthday, Scott whisked her away for a romantic break in Paris. Barbara says: “We marked the occasion in the traditional way. I may not be as frisky as I used to be but we had one of the most romantic, ooh la la nights I can remember. Marvellous, actually.” She has, she admits, had a little help. Four years ago, she spent £14,000 on a four-hour operation to have her “turkey neck” lifted and liposuction on her stomach. And she’s keen to go still further. “There are still bits and pieces I want fixed,” she says. “I want to have my bosoms done just like Ulrika Jonsson. She looks fantastic. I just think, ‘Why not’?”

Barbara, who has played Peggy Mitchell since 1994, has never been busier. Showbiz has been – and remains – her life. Despite an electric love life that has included flings with George Best, Maurice Gibb and Charlie Kray, she never wanted a family and had five abortions. She lost a sixth baby by Sid James. She says: “I never wanted children of my own because I started in the business when I was 13. I was always working. And as an only child, I was never surrounded by children. When dad went to war, my mum said: ‘That’s it, we’re not having any more’. But I love children, very much.”

Indeed, Barbara is busy campaigning to help raise £500,000 for Great Ormond Street. The appeal, in conjunction with Arsenal football club, is to fund a lung unit and is especially close to her heart. Barbara, a keen Arsenal fan, was treated at the hospital aged six. “They diagnosed me with rheumatism in my legs,” she says. “I had to have these horrid tablets. But the nurse crushed them up on a spoon and put a big dollop of strawberry jam on top. That’s what it’s about – kindness and dedication. Everyone’s always smiling.” The Arsenal link is an added bonus. “I love Theo Walcott. Our friendship has just grown and grown. He’s lovely and so gorgeous. He should be a model.”

Outside the hospital where we meet, the crowds struggle to decide who to gawp at – Barbara or Fabregas or Arsene Wenger. It’s tight, but Barbara – just – edges it. She quit EastEnders in 2003 after contracting the ME-like Epstein-Barr virus. Bed-bound for two months, she was suicidal but returning to work in 2005 proved her saviour. “I just love working. Peggy is everything I wouldn’t want to be – a pub landlady, permanently on show. I based her on my mum and I adore playing her. But after I’ve done my turn, I get to go home and just be Babs. That’s the real me.”

With that, the ever-attentive Scott leaps up, on cue, and whisks his wife off for a swish birthday supper.

---------------------
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BARBARA WINDSOR DREADS END OF EASTENDERS
Emma Pryer
people.co.uk
27th March 2010

Eastenders legend Barbara Windsor has told how she is dreading filming her final scenes as Queen Vic landlady Peggy Mitchell. In her first interview since breaking the news of her departure, Barbara told The People:

"It is going to be emotional on my last day. I go in July and it will be hard. I'll be so sad to leave Peggy behind. She's such a wonderful character to play. But at least I'm still being called an ageing sex symbol and a national treasure. I love that." The hit BBC1 soap marked its 25th anniversary last month with a live episode which revealed Stacey Slater (actress Lacey Turner) as the killer of Barbara's on-screen husband Archie (Larry Lamb). But although Barbara has played the head of the Mitchell clan for 16 years, she says producers are still keeping her guessing whether unlucky-in-love Peggy will be killed off or ride into the sunset with a new fella.

Barbara, 72, said: "We are a close-knit family on EastEnders but they have not told me how my character will be leaving. You know what soaps are like. They never tell you. So I guess you will have to wait and see. They ain't told me!" Party What is certain is that Barbara will have a traditional cockney knees-up on set to mark her farewell. She said: "You know me, I will have a big party."

Barbara joined the show in 1994 and picked up a lifetime achievement award at the British Soap Awards last year. The star, who has done everything from West End musicals to Carry On films, began acting at just 13. She said: "I have had a fantastic career. I have been in the business 60 years this year and I love it now the same as when I started. I was at the Laurence Olivier Awards in London last week and it inspired me. Theatre is the best training you can get."

Now one of the best known faces on TV, she will hold fond memories of playing mum to hardmen Grant and Phil (Ross Kemp and Steve McFadden). She said: "EastEnders has been wonderful to me. I've had the pleasure of working with a marvellous cast and crew. I have made many lasting good friends." Barbara, who was made an MBE in 1999, even got to show the Queen around the Albert Square set in November 2001. She said: "That honour is something that will stay with me forever."

As for the near future, she will be spending more time with hubby Scott Mitchell, 46. Ignoring the 26-year age gap, the irrepressible Babs giggled: "I suppose, when all's said and done, I should spend a bit more time with my old man - as he's not getting any younger!"

-------------------
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Windsor to carry on acting . . . at the Bristol Hippodrome
March 30, 2010
thisisbristol.co.uk

Actress Barbara Windsor's first port of call when she leaves EastEnders will be the stage in Bristol as she stars in the Hippodrome's Christmas pantomime. The Carry On star will be appearing as Fairy Bowbells in Dick Whittington later this year, 15 years after her last panto performance.

Barbara recently announced she would quit her role as Peggy Mitchell, who she has played since 1994. The 72-year-old said: "I am thrilled to be returning to the stage in this year's production of Dick Whittington in Bristol. I have made no secret of the fact that I have been bursting to perform in pantomime again and the Bristol Hippodrome is a theatre I have always longed to play. This show will take me into my 60th year in showbusiness and I can't think of a better way to celebrate it."

The producers of the pantomime, First Family Entertainment, who have been behind the last two pantomimes at the Hippodrome, say they are delighted that she will be joining the show. Chief executive Kevin Wood said: "Barbara is one of the greatest stars in Britain and is truly loved by the general public. I have had the pleasure of working with her on many of her past pantomimes and not only is she a dream to work with, her performance is one not to be missed. We are very much looking forward to working with Barbara this Christmas season."

Gary Roden, general manager at the Hippodrome, said: "We are honoured and proud that one of this country's greatest national treasures will be starring in our pantomime this Christmas. With superb star casting, a stunning new Dick Whittington set and dazzling costumes, this is going to be another fantastic pantomime for our Bristol audiences, who we are sure will take Babs to their hearts."

Joining Barbara as Idle Jack is Andy Ford – a panto comic who appeared at the Hippodrome in Snow White to rave reviews – and Eric Potts as Sarah the Cook, who is best known for his role as the comedy baker Diggory Compton in Coronation Street.

The production runs from Saturday, December 11 until Sunday, January 9.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Windsor tearful as she films final scenes on soap
Mark Jefferies
17/07/2010
mirror.co.uk

TV legend Barbara Windsor yesterday bade a tearful farewell to the cast and crew of EastEnders after filming her final scenes for the soap. The actress, 72, who played Peggy Mitchell, brought tears to the eyes of her co-stars with moving comments - before partying the night away at the show's studios with a celebration in her honour. Barbara told the cast: "I have had the most wonderful time on EastEnders and I will miss you all. The show has changed my life and I want you all to continue the good work, because I'll be at home watching you."

Barbara's on-screen son Steve McFadden, who plays Phil Mitchell, promised fans they will not be disappointed by her exit storyline, which sees her leave after being in the soap since 1994 - with a two-year absence between 2003 and 2005, due to illness. Steve, 51, told the Mirror: "I am pleased for Barbara because she has worked hard and deserves this part of her life. She is a canny bird and she has played a blinder because she is going out on a massive high. She is going to be involved in one of the biggest and best storylines ever. So she is going out on the top of her game." Asked about the party last night at the BBC Elstree Studios, he said: "We had a barbecue. There was no champagne as Barbara doesn't drink so I got her Dover sole. I didn't want her eating any dodgy fish fingers."

Barbara filmed her last scene with her on-screen nieces Roxy and Ronnie Mitchell and their mum Glenda Mitchell, but it will not be the last footage of her on screen. Rita Simons - Roxy - said: "On set Barbara is like my honorary real-life auntie. She is a great mentor and taught me so much." Sam Womack, who plays Ronnie, said: "There was a line in a script, 'you have always been like a mother to me' - and that summed it up perfectly for me."

The details of Peggy's departure are being kept top secret. But her last day of filming came just days after bosses set fire to the Queen Vic. A source said: "The explosive storyline is linked to Peggy's departure, but she is not the only one affected by the fire. It has massive repercussions for the whole of Albert Square." When she said she was leaving in October last year, EastEnders executive producer Diederick Santer said her character was "truly iconic", adding: "Barbara has contributed so much to EastEnders over the past 14 years, plus countless episodes and countless amazing storylines."

And The Vic goes with her...

It's been the venue of many explosive storylines in EastEnders - but few fans would recognise this version of the Queen Vic. The fire that viewers will see go through the boozer in the coming weeks has already been filmed and with just charred remains left Alfie Moon has his work cut out when he comes to the show and takes over as landlord. A set source said: "The fire really burns everything in it's way, including some of the cast. Viewers will have to wait and see if anyone dies in the fire, but it's fair to say there's some famous characters in there when it goes up."
here
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Windsor says new Queen Vic set is not for her
Dean Piper,
5/12/2010
mirror.co.uk

EastEnders legend Barbara Windsor has vowed never to pull another pint in the Queen Vic ... because her character Peggy would hate its new look. Babs, 73, who played the feisty landlady for 16 years until last year’s fire which led to the change, said: “It’s not my pub any more – it’s not the way it was. Peggy wouldn’t want to be in there and I wouldn’t want to be in there. All those green stripes and leopard-print stools? Peggy will never pull a pint in that pub the way it looks now.”

The Carry On legend said she was as busy as ever since ­leaving the show in September – and nowhere near ready to ­consider returning. And she thought her character would burn to death in the fire storyline. Barbara said: “I would have been fine if they’d killed Peggy off. I never said, ‘Please keep Peggy alive.’ I’m eternally grateful for the show and what it’s done for me. But I genuinely thought I’d go up in flames at the Queen Vic. When I found out about the fire I thought, ‘Oh shit.’ It was scary reading that script. But I didn’t think Peggy deserved to burn. Everything Peggy ever did she cocked up. The kids, the Vic and she b***ered up loads of lives. She knew she had to go and I love the fact that she’s out there somewhere.”

The star says she’s having the time of her life now she’s free from the gruelling filming schedules of the BBC1 soap. She says her obsession with her ­character started to interfere with her 10-year ­marriage to Scott Mitchell, 47. Barbara said: “Scott turned around to me one day and said, ‘Can I say something to you – whatever we talk about you bring it back to EastEnders.’ I was mortified. The Square was taking over my life.”

The star said her youthful looks are down to no longer being under the pressure of the soap. She said: “Not being in ­EastEnders has turned back my clock. I’ve not been touched up or had any surgery – cross my heart.”

Babs, who is playing Fairy ­Bowbells in the panto Dick ­Whittington in Bristol, revealed she has turned down many ­requests to go on reality TV. She said: “I was offered the jungle, then they ­wanted me to do the Arctic and save polar bears and one ­wanted to get me going down the Zambezi ­River.”
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Windsor returns to EastEnders
9 July 2013

Barbara Windsor is set to return to EastEnders for a special one-off episode later this year. Windsor, 75, has always said she would relish a return to playing landlady Peggy Mitchell, and said the public wanted her back as well.

Windsor, who left the show in 2010 after playing Peggy for 16 years, said: ‘It is no secret how much I have always loved EastEnders and Peggy Mitchell. By the number of times I'm constantly stopped by the great British public and asked either "when are you coming back" or please say "Get out of my pub", it seems they have too. It may only be a short visit, but it’s a family matter and as Peggy always said "It's all about family”.’

Peggy returns to Albert Square when she learns that Phil, her eldest, needs his mother’s help and always putting her family first, Peggy returns to the place she called home for 16 years.

Barbara Windsor has played a huge part in some of EastEnders most memorable moments. These have included Peggy’s battle with breast cancer, her marriages to Frank Butcher and Archie Mitchell as well as her famous slap with Pat Evans.

Barbara’s return to EastEnders is part of an autumn push for the show which is set to be dramatic for the Mitchell family. With Samantha Womack reprising her role as Ronnie Mitchell, Roxy planning her wedding to Alfie and Phil set to find himself in trouble once more, the Mitchells are going to be on a rollercoaster.

Lorraine Newman, Executive Producer added: ‘We’re delighted to announce Barbara’s return for a very special episode. Peggy’s surprise visit is a wonderful treat for our fans, as well as the cast and crew here on EastEnders. It’s great to welcome her home.’

Back in April Barbara said she missed the show and was tempted to return. Speaking on This Morning she said: 'I miss EastEnders - I absolutely do, I loved it. But I was exhausted when I left, absolutely exhausted.' She added: 'They asked me to go back recently... they've asked me a couple of times, but I think about it and I don't sleep. I am tempted, that's the point.'

Peggy previously left Albert Square for Portugal three years ago after Phil - who had become a drug addict - set fire to the Queen Vic pub, of which she was landlady.

Since leaving the show, Barbara has presented a show on Radio 2 about musicals, starred in pantomime and presented a show on female comics, also on radio.

----------------------

I listened to the shows about female comics, and they were ok, but the only thing I've seen her in lately are crap ads for online bingo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: