We have your drone. (war against Iran)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: We have your drone. (war against Iran) Reply with quote

BBC

Remember the recent news about Iran capturing a spy drone in their airspace? It seems that, not only were they not lying, the drone is completely undamaged as the US might have us think. In fact, it appears Iran managed to take it over and land it safely.

Not the push-overs they're made out to be afterall...
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is why the US doesn't blow it up like they do their other stuff, unless they botched that up too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
major.tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article, it sounds like Iran was able to take over control of the drone after it flew into their airspace similar to how hackers can gain control of your computer. That's (apparently) how they were able to take possession without any noticeable damage to it and probably would've prevented the drone from obeying any kind of "self-destruct" order.

...unless you mean blowing it up through conventional means. Maybe they should send another drone to do that job. Very Happy
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like a one sided fight. Fair play to 'em.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they had something inside of things like that so they just had to press a button and blow it up, but I may just watch too much tv. lol It's funny how they denied that they lost the drone. I'm thinking, why deny it? They will just show pictures of having it. lol Sure enough, they did. Did they not know it was missing? lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
steg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they have some sort of program that will erase all confidential information stored on the in board computers etc.

Interesting that the Western spin is that the drone was "lost" in airspace above Afghanistan. Aye right. Do they really expect anyone to buy such nonsense??
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Iranians did hack into it, there's very little chance of data being erased. As an aside, to erase data 100% the only way to do it is physically destroy the memory/drives.

Well done Iran - if they can stop this thing, hopefully they can stop any missiles and send them back from whence they came... it would be only fair.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US asks Iran to return captured drone
bbc.co.uk

President Barack Obama has said the US government has requested that Tehran return the surveillance drone captured by Iran's military earlier this month. Mr Obama said he would not comment on classified intelligence matters, but confirmed: "We have asked for it back. We'll see how the Iranians respond."

Iranian TV broadcast pictures of the intact RQ-170 Sentinel last week. Tehran said the aircraft was brought down using electronic warfare; Washington insisted it malfunctioned. Earlier on Monday, Iranian state TV reported that military experts were in the final stages of recovering data from the drone. A member of the Iranian parliament's national security committee, Parviz Sorouri, said the information they extracted would be used to "file a lawsuit against the United States over the invasion" by the aircraft.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton admitted that she did not think it likely that the drone would be returned. "We are very clearly making known our concerns. We submitted a formal request for the return of our lost equipment, as we would in any situation. Given Iran's behaviour to date, we do not expect them to reply," she said. She said that despite numerous "provocations" from Iran, the US would continue to pursue a "diplomatic approach".

The Revolutionary Guards, whose officers were filmed inspecting the drone on Thursday, said it crossed Iran's eastern border with Afghanistan and travelled 250km (155 miles) inside its airspace, before being brought down in a cyber attack. However, US officials have said that intelligence assessments indicated that Iran neither shot down the aircraft nor used electronic warfare or cyber-technology to force it from the sky. They blamed a malfunction. They are, however, concerned that Iran or its allies may be able to determine the chemical composition of the drone's radar-deflecting paint, or copy its engine, control systems, and sophisticated cameras and sensors, which allow it to monitor the ground from high altitude.

The Iranian government has sent a letter of protest to the United Nations, accusing the US of "provocative and secret actions" violating international law, and warning against any "repetition of such actions". A former US official has said the Pentagon was using the drone to keep watch on Iran's controversial nuclear programme. Western powers believe Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons, which it denies.

--------------

'Hey Mister, can we have our remote controlled death-ball back?'
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American bases surrounding Iran.
major.tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton admitted that she did not think it likely that the drone would be returned.

"We are very clearly making known our concerns. We submitted a formal request for the return of our lost equipment, as we would in any situation. Given Iran's behaviour to date, we do not expect them to reply," she said.

She said that despite numerous "provocations" from Iran, the US would continue to pursue a "diplomatic approach".

What a load of fucking bullshit. "diplomatic approach" "Given Iran's behaviour to date..."

Who was flying their spy plane over whose territory again?!?

I'm glad Iran is pilfering everything they can from this thing. It should make for a very solid case before the U.N. for gross provocation by the U.S.. Isn't unauthorized invasion, including of airspace, an act of war according to International Law? Not that the U.S. would ever apologize -- they still haven't for Honduras, and that case was proven decades ago.

Hopefully Iran will share their findings with China and Russia, including others. The more is known about U.S. stealth technology, the less effective it will be. That can only make the world a safer place.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, everyone is spying on everyone. I don't know how many if any have drones, but they are definitely spying via satellite, humans, etc. What makes me chuckle is this:

U.S.: Could you please return our drone?

Iran: No.

LOL LOL! Laughing
major.tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spying in itself is relatively benign. I'm much more concerned about covert war including assassinations and extra-judicial executions. There have been a spate of deaths of Iranian nuclear scientists (among others), for example, which are to say the least highly suspicious as to the culprits.

And since it bears saying, I don't have a hate-on for Americans. Just the way in which the U.S. government, no matter which party in power, throws its weight around in the world. According to U.S. foreign policy, the law only applies to others. The funny thing is, like Canada, the gov't doesn't truly represent the people in this regard.

/rant

Frankly, I'm surprised that Obama would even ask for it back; he had to know the response he would get. Maybe he should try "please."
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge says Iran connected to 9/11

Who do they think they're kidding?
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most.

And the most they will.

Fuck the media.

Do I sound a bit like C Hitchens ?
major.tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to think of this story. Seems odd they'd ask for him back, but maybe that's only because the Harper Gov't (tm) won't do shit for Canadian nationals abroad. He is a marine and was stationed in Afghanistan. So it does beg the question why he would saunter over to Iran.

That said, Iran does not have a very good history with arresting people for cause. Perhaps the truth will out in time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: