Heartbreak Hockey 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No baseball here....sorta like paint drying. I can't side with ya, Kez, on the Carolina thing. They are in our division, so I have to hate them. Can't cheer for them...EVER!! I want to see Chicago and Pittsburgh in the final. Either way it will be good.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welll, the Hawks are down 2 games, but we are back in Chi town next game, so hopefully things will pick up!
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw my hockey-playing nephews over the weekend and the 1st thing I heard was, "Auntie, what happened to the Caps?" But overall, the family agrees that the Capitals had a very good season, with only great things to happen in future.

And, furthermore, we got some confirmation that the "mystery house" spotted by my sister may belong to a hockey player or someone in the organisation. The house in question is about 5 minutes' drive from the practice facility in Northern Virginia.

She told us that she saw a Lamborghini in the driveway. My brother-in-law asked, "Was it white?" Sis said yes! Then we go online and find:

I'll keep ya posted! Cool

I'm pulling for your Hawks, Spurs -- as we've season this season, down by 2 games doesn't mean you're out!!! GO HAWKS!!!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True...and we made them really work for it taking it to OT and all...so now they have to come to Chi-Town...now they have to come to the Windy City. Let's see how they are on our ice. Now, being Detroit, they probably won't be any different and will kick the shite outta us, but hopefully, since they aren't used to us being good, they will get caught by surprise and lose the two games on our ice. That would make it a series!

So it looks like Mike Green might live in that house...that would be cool. Now he can be stalked!! Laughing
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I can't side with ya, Kez, on the Carolina thing. They are in our division, so I have to hate them. Can't cheer for them...EVER!! I want to see Chicago and Pittsburgh in the final. Either way it will be good.

Re: the Carolina Hurricanes -- I forgot that you're in Florida and by "our division", you mean the Southeast Division? That would be the same division won by the Washington Capitals, now wouldn't it? hahahaha Cool Sorry, it wouldn't be hockey without the trash talk! Laughing Laughing

As for the "mystery" house, my sis saw the Lamborghini there just the once: it's not Mike Green's house, he was a visitor. But whoever lives there is probably affiliated with the team. Latest update: house is closed up, garage doors and all. Will have to wait until later in the summer when the team re-convenes!

As for the Hawks, best of luck for a win on Friday!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are in our division....and we have allowed you to do well this season, but next year, watch out!! Laughing It always struck me as odd that Washington was in the Southeast, but Bettman has screwed everything else up, so why not this?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not looking good...I am not giving up mind you, but it is not looking good. Down 3-1 to the Wings... Sad
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me and the Blackhawks, it's over. We lost in OT to the Red Wings and that gave them 4 wins. Oh well...Not sure who I am going to cheer for now. Probably the Pens since they are from the Eastern Conference and they are not the Red Wings!! Laughing Footie is done, hockey is just about done...what am I going to do with no sports????
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fireworks for the Pens win were mad. I think people are really ready for them to win the Cup, especially since last year they got this far and didn't go all the way.

I think Spurs you might have to watch highlights for a while to get you through the slump.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have both footie and hockey highlights and games taped and on dvd. It is the only thing that gets me thru! I just don't know that I can support the Wings, I am going to have to root for the Pens!! Sky...you do realize that my support is usually the kiss of death for any sports team!! Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not some other sport that works through the summer you could try? Believe it or not, the 20-20 International cricket games can be pretty exciting. I used to hate the game, but watched that one year and really got into it.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Wings all the way for me -- y'all know that it is impossible for me to support Pittsburgh. (Sorry Sky!)

As for other sports, well, if you don't like baseball, how about MLS (Major League Soccer)? DC United games are a trip 'cuz the fans love to party.

http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp

Personally, I don't watch baseball on TV until the World Series - but I love love love spending an afternoon or evening at the ballpark. And baseball game tickets are actually affordable. I support both the Washington Nationals (a new team that moved to DC from Montreal) and the Baltimore Orioles. Good times.

In the meantime, I'll be watching the Stanley Cup........
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Lord Stanley for sure. I try the MLS every summer and the level of play is so far below what it is in the EPL (which is what I am used to), that it is hard to watch. But if I want it to get better I should support it. We had a team here in Tampa Bay, but they took it away, so I have no local MLS team to support. They took the Miami team too, so no Florida team at all. I will give it my annual go and see if I can get behind it.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
Yep, Lord Stanley for sure. I try the MLS every summer and the level of play is so far below what it is in the EPL (which is what I am used to), that it is hard to watch. But if I want it to get better I should support it. We had a team here in Tampa Bay, but they took it away, so I have no local MLS team to support. They took the Miami team too, so no Florida team at all. I will give it my annual go and see if I can get behind it.

I agree with you on the MLS - a different level of play entirely.

Here's my take on it in the USA (with a caveat for the sake of my post -- 'football'=American gridiron & 'soccer'=football):

It's similar to hockey in that it's an international sport (the #1 international sport), played in other countries, with a world-wide fan base. Unlike American football where the majority of players (with a few exceptions here & there) are American.

DC United is a great example -- years ago DC had a soccer team called the Diplomats (1974-1981 (thanks Wikipedia)). It was part of the North American Soccer League (NASL). Again, according to Wiki, the average attendance in 1981 was 16,106 in a stadium that holds 55,000. To add insult to injury, CBS Sports had a national television contract in the U.S. with the NASL. However, the ratings for matches were unacceptable even by weekend daytime standards and the arrangement was terminated. So now we have the MLS, founded in 1993. Jeez, that's only 16 years ago!

But soccer is so huge in schools, kid's recreation leagues and at the university level that its fan base is growing in the US. Additionally, as the Latino population grows, so does the attendance at games. There is now a larger fan base that understands and enjoys the game. Most of my siblings & I played on the local recreational team. One sister went on to play in high school and did very well. Now, we're grown & taking our soccer-playing children to games. It's the combination of these recent shifts in US sports culture and demographics that causes me to feel surprised that there isn't a team in Florida. thinking

It's also blatantly apparent (IMO) that the US sports media is so invested in football (2 separate programmes on Sunday: "The NFL on Fox" for the NFC and "The NFL on CBS" for the AFC) and now Sunday night football and Monday night football.......hey TV people: there are hockey games played in the Fall season too!!!! But unless you have cable television, you won't see it. crazed

Heck, even the local media is football-crazy. When the Washington Capitals won the Southeast Division, do you know what the lead sports story on the local news was? "Redskins Start Mini-Camp". WTF? But this town is all about the Redskins. Oh, and don't you just love to support a team with a name that's a racial slur and an owner who is a total prick? Mad

With that said, in spite of the local media and its lackluster coverage on anything other than football, I will go to DC United soccer games and Washington Nationals baseball games to give my support. Otherwise, we lose the franchise.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my USA Sports Analysis. writing Smile

Also, does anyone support any UK hockey teams? The UK men won the bronze medal at the IIHF World Championship (DIV I Group B) in April.
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Is there not some other sport that works through the summer you could try? Believe it or not, the 20-20 International cricket games can be pretty exciting. I used to hate the game, but watched that one year and really got into it.

I'm not familiar with 20-20 International cricket. My experience with the game thus far is in tune with comedian Robin Williams' observation that "cricket is baseball on valium." Laughing

Do you have a link for it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: