flapjacks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: flapjacks Reply with quote

i got this recipe off the internet

They last for days, they are cheap to make and they are good for you. What could be better than a great flapjack for that lunchtime snack!

Ingredients

Brown Sugar - 80g
Butter - 40g
Margarine - 60g
Oats - 250g
Salt - pinch
Banana - 1
Honey - 3tbsp
chocolate (optional)

Making Method

1. Melt the butter and the Margarine in a deep saucepan over a very low heat
2. add the brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of honey and mix well until you have a liquid substance.
3. Mix in the oats, if you find it easier add them in gradually stirring and covering the oats with the mixture
4. add a pinch of salt.
5. Mash the banana into a liquid pulp and mix into the oats (this will take a good few minutes to ensure that the banana is fully mixed in).
6. Get a knife and spread the oats evenly over a baking tray.
7. Place the baking tray onto the middle shelf in a preheated oven (gas mark 5, 220 C) and bake for 15 minutes, checking the progress regularly. Take out when the mixture starts turning a darker colour.
8. Stand for a minute or two, cut the flapjack into as many pieces as you wish
9. You may find it best to leave the flapjack for a few hours to cool down although you can eat them striaight away.

Tip. To make the flapjacks that little bit more special, drizzle melted chocolate over the top of them!

Serves: 12-15 pieces
Total Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 15 minutes

--

the first time i made them i followed the recipe but they were way to sweet, so the next time i reduced the butter and sugar/honey, and added some raisins and they were a lot better. the picture above are a few i added chocolate to Very Happy next time i'm going to add some sesame seeds, and try even less sugar and honey.

i was wondering if anyone could think of anything i could add to the mixture to help bind everything together so i could reduce the sugar/honey and butter content further without it all falling apart?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates maybe? Although I don't think you'd want to reduce the honey too much more or they really won't stick together.
funkyfunkpants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had them made with marshmallow and that was very good. Not sure how they were made, maybe melt them with the butter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: