Hard drives overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Hard drives overheating Reply with quote

My system locked up last night. It booted up, checked memory, showed the windows boot screen then it would reset every time so I knew from the startup sequence that it could only be a hard drive problem...

I'd recently added a 1tb drive to the inside, but didn't realise that hard drives need a fan if they're closely packed. All three were almost too hot to touch - which is something I've never known before.

It ended up that I've basically fried my original boot disk, so I've had to reinstall everything from scratch. This page is useful if you want to prevent it happening to you...

Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good forum for all things hard ..

http://www.hardforum.com/
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, I'm sorry you had to recreate everything from scratch. Those drives can run hot and I've had close calls like that myself. I have been fighting mo'fo' trojan for the last 10 days. I thought I had it but last night something weird happened so I'm still obsessed here.

Thanks for the article. You didn't say if you installed another fan... And thanks Brown for the link. i'm going to spend some time on that one.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up just taking the side off and spacing things out more - now they run at about 25c which is fine.

Do you know for sure that your problem's to do with a virus? Sometimes memory wears out and can cause a lot of problems.
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Faceless I am sorry I didn't respond to your question...Mum has been in the hospital so I've been preoccupied (read mental) this week. I think I picked up the problem at Kazaa. I was getting a voice up every couple of minutes as in "you've been selected to receive a free laptop." And weird search sites would pop up every few minutes as well. And one night I was looking at a web site and the thing replicated itself a zillion times. I was flipping out. I Alt F4'd the shit out of it and restarted so that behavior stopped. Anyway I installed AVG which seems very robust and it seems to have done the trick. I am little gun shy now though and I'm afraid to order any Christmas gifts online. I don't know why that bothers me because I can't afford Christmas this year as it stands. Anyway, the odd behavior stopped after I installed the AVG so crisis over I hope.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting page about how to recover a dead hard drive...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: