Spaghetti Carbonara

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Spaghetti Carbonara Reply with quote

Spaghetti Carbonara

The stuff

1 pound dry spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta and about 4 rashers of bacon cubed
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

What to do .......

Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the spaghetti will be hot and ready when the sauce is finished; it is very important that the pasta is hot when adding the egg mixture, so that the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs in the sauce.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender yet firm (as they say in Italian "al dente.") Drain the pasta well, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water to use in the sauce if you wish.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the pancetta and Bacon and saute for about 3 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered. Toss the garlic into the fat and saute for less than 1 minute to soften.

Add the hot, drained spaghetti to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands in the bacon fat. Beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a mixing bowl, stirring well to prevent lumps. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble (this is done off the heat to ensure this does not happen.) Thin out the sauce with a bit of the reserved pasta water, until it reaches desired consistency. Season the carbonara with several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt. Mound the spaghetti carbonara into warm serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. Pass more cheese around the table.

Bloody Delish ........ pasta pasta pasta pasta pasta

Now 2 things happened to me while i was making this tonite .....One was I realized I had no Spaghetti ......Grrrrr.... So I used Penne Pasta in stead .....Just as good I might say Smile

Second was My battery died in the Camera ....... Grrrrrr

Anyways a very simple and fast meal to make .........Enjoy ........ Smile

ps I did not add salt to the water as the bacon gives you all the salt you need .........
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Num muh muh num *slurp* *gulp* *buuuuurrrpp* Excuse me!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like spaghetti, but I might give this a whirl Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: