The Knights Templar were innocent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: The Knights Templar were innocent Reply with quote

Vatican book on Templars' demise

The Vatican is to publish a book which is expected to shed light on the demise of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order from the Middle Ages. The book is based on a document known as the Chinon parchment, found in the Vatican Secret Archives six years ago after years of being incorrectly filed. The document is a record of the heresy hearings of the Templars before Pope Clement V in the 14th Century.

The official who found the paper says it exonerates the knights entirely. Prof Barbara Frale, who stumbled across the parchment by mistake, says that it lays bare the rituals and ceremonies over which the Templars were accused of heresy. In the hearings before Clement V, the knights reportedly admitted spitting on the cross, denying Jesus and kissing the lower back of the man proposing them during initiation ceremonies.

However, many of the confessions were obtained under torture and knights later recanted or tried to claim that their initiation ceremony merely mimicked the humiliation the knights would suffer if they fell into the hands of the Muslim leader Saladin. The leader of the order, Jacques de Moley, was one of those who confessed to heresy, but later recanted. He was burned at the stake in Paris in 1314, the same year that the Pope dissolved the order.

However, according to Prof Frale, study of the document shows that the knights were not heretics as had been believed for 700 years. In fact she says "the Pope was obliged to ask for pardons from the knights... the document we have found absolves them".

Details of the parchment will be published as part of Processus contra Templarios, a book that will be released by the Vatican's Secret Archive on 25 October.

---------------

This is great to hear - I've always had an interest in the Knights Templar since finding out that they were the main force in Scotland's defeat of the English at Bannockburn (also in 1314). After they were excommunicated by the Pope they moved from their headquarters in France and moved to Scotland. also, Jacques De Morlay is considered by some to be the face that's in the Turin shroud.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the extracts when they're released - of course the bits that aren't released are the real ham in that sandwich.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you try telling david icke they're innocent wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree Face. What they are holding back is probably more important.

I have always thought that the Knights Templar are a prime example of the Catholic's churches ability to make history fiction and control the way things happened. Their power was to great for too long not to have this effect.

It is one of the reasons I am very against organized religion of any sort.
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

I have always thought that the Knights Templar are a prime example of the Catholic's churches ability to make history fiction and control the way things happened. Their power was to great for too long not to have this effect.

I'm among friends - exactly my thoughts...! I've also been interested in the Knight's Templar and the history from that period. Considering the only people who could really read & write back then were members of the Church who's to know how true their recounting of history was. In my opinion, history books should always be read with a questioning mind. thinking
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I'm among friends - exactly my thoughts...! I've also been interested in the Knight's Templar and the history from that period. Considering the only people who could really read & write back then were members of the Church who's to know how true their recounting of history was. In my opinion, history books should always be read with a questioning mind. thinking

How true.
History is some of the best fiction I have ever read! Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Count me in with you all. Face, you hit the nail on the head when you said what they're holding back is far more important. I'd be very interested to know what's in the rest of that document.

What many people don't know is that the Knights Templar are the basis of the Masonic order and what it stands for, doing goodworks, charity, etc. From what I understand, the catholic church has never been in favour of Masons (but I could be wrong on that point) and I wonder if perhaps this will change somewhat once we hear what was in that document.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I read it, but my recollections of Herodotus' "The Histories" also struck me as (to put it charitably) questionable at parts.

I'm no expert on the Templars, but have seen some coverage of them, as any lover of history would. I believe Monty Python's Terry Jones touched on them in his series, "Crusades."
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news and it shows the Templars were framed and forced into confessions as so many of the time were. They did start out to do good works and make nicey nicey with the locals, but they do become very militant towards the end.
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could all pool our resources to buy the book. It's like $8000 ...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$8000?! bloody hell -

how did you find that out?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:

Let's see, $.10, $.25, $.25, oh a dollar!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Marcella-FL wrote:

Well, you might not be able to buy the book, but you could get something from Marcella's Dollar Store.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
Marcella-FL wrote:

Well, you might not be able to buy the book, but you could get something from Marcella's Dollar Store.

Rock! I love dollar stores!
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder how much of their mention in The Da Vinci Code is true

CLICK HERE
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Makes me wonder how much of their mention in The Da Vinci Code is true

CLICK HERE

I would think very little. The author has said numerous times it's work of fiction and a lot of the other information isn't all correct either. Not to mention when you read his other books you can tell his research methods aren't always up to snuff. I tossed "Angels and Devils" to the side before I even finished the first chapter because he didn't even know who invented the internet.
He takes bits of myth, bits off controversial history, and bits of fact and weaves them together. Into what I personally consider a poor novel. He doesn't do a lot of research into certain things.
What he got on the Knight's Templar he probably got off of the History Channel and that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: