Great Literary Figures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Great Literary Figures Reply with quote

Our history is not just kept in books studied in classrooms, it is kept on shelves of libraries and homes. Both fiction and non-fiction writers provide insight into our past cultures and current. Some inspire us while others still enrage us. Regardless of what emotion they evoke it is important that they engage us.

I have always thought writers, especially non-fiction, are some of the best people to turn to when I want to learn about the past, or even the present. They offer a type of insight that isn't given in the history text books that are placed in front of us in our classrooms. I feel this mainly stems from the fact that they aren't trying to teach, they are instead reflecting what they see from the life they live in.

I learned more about WWII reading the political cartoons of Theodore Geisel (Dr. Suess) than I did in most of my history sections that covered it. I saw what people outside of the history books were thinking and feeling, not just facts recorded.

We have many great literary figures that have their place in history:
Shakespeare
Poe
Lovecraft
Virginia Wolf
Jane Austen
Plautus
Socrates

just to name a few.

However, these are ones that easily spring to mind (and of course the list could go on).

Who are some literary figures that have inspired you, enraged, caused you to think or enlightened you? It doesn't matter if they are well known or not.

After all, what is written down lives so long in our world that it's hard for it not to become a part of history. If we disappeared tomorrow and all that was left of our culture was the collective works of Jackie Collins, imagine what evidence that would leave of our society and culture! Razz
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabbie Burns for sure - as a kid I didn't really value anything he had to say as the language was so different from what I understood, but knowing what some of it's about now I find it brillliant. I think his lasting legacy will be that without him haggis would probably fade away... haha

Keats and Shelley are also favourites of mine - drug addled minds write much better stuff...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge reader, but don't much go for the classics. I tend to prefer fiction.... I find the stories of people and how they live (even if they're not real) much more educational than any history lesson.

Philippa Gregory is an author I'm getting into again. I've recently re-read her earliest books--- Wideacre, The Favoured Child and Meridon. And now, I'm just collecting all the tudor novels to read. I never really learned about history like this in school, and although the storyline itself is fictionalized, how people lived, their customs, etc. are all fairly accurate --- I think she has a degree in this time period.

Diana Gabaldon is my absolute favourite author though. I got hooked on her Outlander series 9 yrs ago and have been reading her ever since. Currently I'm re-reading Lord John and the Private Matter. She's recently released the second book in the series and I'm thrilled to be going to a reading she's giving here next week (and for the chance to get my copy autographed!). These stories are also rich with history and it takes her nearly 2 to 3 yrs. to write each one in order to get all the details as accurate as possible.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:

Philippa Gregory is an author I'm getting into again. I've recently re-read her earliest books--- Wideacre, The Favoured Child and Meridon. And now, I'm just collecting all the tudor novels to read. I never really learned about history like this in school, and although the storyline itself is fictionalized, how people lived, their customs, etc. are all fairly accurate --- I think she has a degree in this time period.

I LOVE her. I read 3 of her books over the summer.

Laura Ingalls Wilder had a huge impact on me as a kid. I loved following her thru her life over and over again and it was written from the voice of someone who was actually there, not just someone who did research.

In the same vein as Phillippa Gregory, I really like Sharon Kay Penman. She writes historical fiction as well.
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy Philippa Gregory, too. Just about to read the Queen's Fool.

I'll look up some of those other authors, too.

Thanks! thumbs
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret George also writes historical fiction that I just love. I read "The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers" and it was just amazing. Since I had been to the Tower of London and other places Henry VIII had lived it was wonderful to read her descriptions and how accurate they were.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
I really enjoy Philippa Gregory, too. Just about to read the Queen's Fool.

I'll look up some of those other authors, too.

Thanks! thumbs

That was one of the 3 I read this summer. Very good...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

I LOVE her. I read 3 of her books over the summer.

Laura Ingalls Wilder had a huge impact on me as a kid. I loved following her thru her life over and over again and it was written from the voice of someone who was actually there, not just someone who did research.

In the same vein as Phillippa Gregory, I really like Sharon Kay Penman. She writes historical fiction as well.

Laughing I re-read some of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books a couple of years ago... still good reads after all these years. If you like that time period, you might enjoy the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. A little more Canadian history there, but it would give you a feel for the time period.

And thanks for the info on Sharon Kay Penman.... I'm always looking for another good author, especially in historical fiction.
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend lots of time reading. when i get bored of reading Economics (which is my academic work), I read other stuff. My reading is a bit odd:

World view: Adam Smith, Edward Said, Amartya Sen, Noam Chomsky, Robert M Solow (partly linked to my study)

Islamic History (to garner my faith): Ibn Kathir, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya, Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, Al-Dhahabi, Ibn Rajab

Literature: Rabindronath Tagore, Kazi Nazrul Islam, Shukumar Ray (Satyajit's father), Satyajit Ray, Shakespeare (not too many yet), Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, James Joyce, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay

I once even started reading ancient history (Greek, and Roman,) in high school. But got bored of it

I haven't read any recent authors (fiction)
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
I spend lots of time reading. when i get bored of reading Economics

Im thinking that would not be to long for most people wow i have very light tastes in reading , its simular to my taste in movies most o the time i like to escape rather than learn , I learn online all day reading stuff so that i can edit it and make it my own so when it comes to reading kust light easy stuff like Stephen Leather who i met in a bar a few months ago and gave me one of his books ive been reading his others since , or Michael Collins or factual crime books
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
Ash wrote:

Im thinking that would not be to long for most people wow i have very light tastes in reading , its simular to my taste in movies most o the time i like to escape rather than learn , I learn online all day reading stuff so that i can edit it and make it my own so when it comes to reading kust light easy stuff like Stephen Leather who i met in a bar a few months ago and gave me one of his books ive been reading his others since , or Michael Collins or factual crime books

I too have light tastes in reading sometimes alan... for the same reasons. I'm reading some pretty "medical" stuff all day, about peoples illnesses, treatments, etc. Sometimes I just want something that isn't that deep when I'm trying to relax. Smile
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
alan1254 wrote:
Ash wrote:

I too have light tastes in reading sometimes alan... for the same reasons. I'm reading some pretty "medical" stuff all day, about peoples illnesses, treatments, etc. Sometimes I just want something that isn't that deep when I'm trying to relax. Smile

Thats my excuse and no one can prove otherwise cunning
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
alan1254 wrote:
Ash wrote:

I too have light tastes in reading sometimes alan... for the same reasons. I'm reading some pretty intense "medical" stuff all day, about peoples illnesses, treatments, etc. Sometimes I just want something that isn't that deep when I'm trying to relax. Smile
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to read, when I find the time. There's nothing better than curling up with a cup of tea and a good book. My fav authors, in no particular order; Christie, Austin, Conan Doyle, Shakespeare and a new author, Kyra Davis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: