Frozen Inca girl draws visitors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Frozen Inca girl draws visitors Reply with quote

Preserved mummy of 500-year-old Inca 'Ice Maiden' wows visitors
7th September 2007

Museum-goers have gasped at the well-preserved mummy of an Inca maiden which is on display for the first time, a serene gaze etched on her face from hundreds of years ago when she froze to death high in the Andes. Crowds of people packed a museum in Salta, Argentina, to see "la Doncella" - Spanish for "the Maiden" - a 15-year-old girl whose remains were found in 1999 in an icy pit on Llullaillaco volcano, along with a six-year-old girl and a seven-year-old boy.

Scientists believe the so-called Children of Llullaillaco were sacrificed more than 500 years ago in a ceremony marking the annual corn harvest. Dressed in fine clothes and given corn alcohol to put them to sleep, the victims were then left to die at an elevation of 6,730 meters (22,080 feet).

"Just this morning we have had more than 700 people come see the exhibit, and we had hundreds yesterday when it opened," said High Mountain Archaeological Museum director Gabriel Miremont. The mummy is kept in a chamber that pumps chilled air through a low-oxygen atmosphere, simulating the subfreezing conditions where it was found. The other two children are being studied and are not on display.

Seated with her legs bent and her arms resting on her stomach, the Maiden's remains are still adorned with a gray shawl and bone and metal ornaments. Scientists say her face was daubed with red pigment and around her mouth they found flecks of coca leaf, which is chewed by highland Indians to blunt the effects of altitude. The Children of Llullaillaco were found at the highest elevation ever discovered for sacrificial victims of the former Inca empire, which ran along the Andes from present-day northern Argentina to Peru.

----------------

pretty amazing that it's survived so well eh?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. If she suddenly looked up and looked a the people around her it wouldn't surprise me. Well, it would, but you know what I mean.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks scarily alive and well preserved! The Incas were a bit brutal though I have to say - when I was in South America I went to a museum about the native people from those areas and it was quite shocking to see how they just whipped each other out and even their own tribes' lives without that much regard! I thought Apocalipto did portray the customs of the South American Indians quite well!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they keep her preserved now? Is she in a refridgerated room? She is very well preserved. I'd love to see her also. Wish I was rich to just travel where ever I wanted to. :-D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! That is definately on my must see list. How amazing.
misslisalynn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's amazing that she was found and able to be kept in this condition. A lot of religious groups are against her being on display but if we have the opportunity to learn from her and her civilization I think we should.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Close-up Otzi Reply with quote

http://www.icemanphotoscan.eu/

thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: