Veggie Burgers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Veggie Burgers Reply with quote

Just putting a request out here.... anyone have a recipe for veggie burgers they could pass along? I don't like real hamburgers all the time and have to be careful of using a lot of soy products. I do eat Gardenburgers a fair bit, but I'm craving something a bit different.....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Quorn? It's fungi based, and really does have some good variations. You could also look at bean-burgers.

I'm thinking about getting back to a veggie diet myself. But stopping meat again is like breaking a drug habit...
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made something more or less the same as this recipe and was delish.....I just love portabella mushrooms Very Happy

Portabella Mushroom "Burgers"

Marinated portabella mushrooms make delicious sandwiches. Serve them on hamburger buns and top with cheese or whatever ingredients constitute your "Cheeseburger in Paradise". You'll save tons of calories and artery clogging fat and still have a flavorful meal! Smile

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 T Worchestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
3 minced garlic cloves
1/4 tsp. black pepper
hot sauce to taste

2-4 large portabella mushroom caps
2-4 large hamburger buns
2-4 slices cheese (Your fave cheese)

Optional Toppings
tomato
lettuce
onion
bacon (really good!)
avocado
green chilis
mayonnaise

Serves 2=4

Combine all marinade ingredients together. Place each mushroom in a shallow bowl, gill side up. Pour 1/4-1/2 of the marinade over each mushroom, pouring a little in the bottom of the bowl first, to wet the upside down cap, and the remainer into the upturned cap. Marinate for 5-10 minutes. Do not marinate longer as the mushrooms will absorb too much marinade.

Grill mushrooms on a wood or charcoal fire, or in a hot skillet on the stovetop, or under a broiler. 2-3 minutes per side will usually do, or until the mushrooms are browned and tender. If desired melt a slice of cheese on top during the last minute or so of cooking. Serve on burger buns with toppings of your choice.
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quorn is generally excellent, but unfortunately not available in Canada. There are places in the US you can get it though.

Its one of the things I miss actually - especially their 'chicken' pieces - we used to make some excellent curries from that stuff.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what this is like, but heres a recipe for spicy bean burgers ( from the one cook book i have )

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1 small hot red chilli finely chopped
100g/4oz frozen spinach, thawed
400g/14oz can cannellini beans
506/2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
salt and pepper
burger buns, relish and salad, to serve

heat the oil in small saucepan and cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes until softened. squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach and place in large bown.

mash the beans well and mix with the spinach, breadcrumbs, cumin and coriander. add the frid inion and stir well together.

season to taste and shape into four round burgers. grill or shallow fry for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden. serve in burgers buns with relish and salad.

invite couch trippers over for dinner and you're done wink
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this page linked on another site by total chance... looks the ticket.

http://www.chow.com/stories/10663
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Face!

And thanks for the recipe luke.... I would likely make it with less "spice" but I'm betting it they might freeze well which would be my goal... make up a bunch so I'd have them ready to take for lunch to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: