Was Jesus a Buddhist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Was Jesus a Buddhist? Reply with quote

Buddhism is twice as old as the Christian faith this year is 2550 in the Buddhist calender, Buddhist religion is centered around re birth , as is Christianity, no rising from the dead no Christian faith , When the Buddha 'dies' a smal group of holy men is sent out to locate the reborn Buddha, they look for signs in the heavens to guide them to the new re encarnation, so think 3 wise men and a star to guide them.
Jesus was a very smart and forcful and interlectual child, not afraid to speak his mind , so why does his story suddenly stop at 13 there is not one word about his teens or twenty's in the bible he then suddenly re apears at 30 , the bible implies he went to work for his father , that seems strange as he had already been given a place in the temple about as high as a common boy could ever dream of going why would he then spend the next 17 years as a totaly silent carpenter. When he does return he has ideas that go against Jewish teachings and the old testiment version of gods charictor , god is vengful Jesus says turn the other cheek , a Buddhist idea, Mosaic Law clearly denoted retaliation and vengeance which were regarded as justice Jesus preached compassion and forgiveness.
In the Revelation of St John, a Christian scripture written down in Greek in the Eastern Mediterranean (v. 1) it refers to a book closely sealed with seven seals. St John weeps bitterly (v. 4) because he sees no one worthy to open the book and to break its seals. This can be done by the Lamb alone, slaughtered in sacrifice (v. 9). There is a similar book in Mahayana Buddhism, The Perfection of Wisdom sealed with seven seals, written in Sanskrit in South India. The book has 8000 lines and in chapters 30 and 31 it describes in detail how Everweeping Bodhisattva slaughtered himself in sacrifice, and how he thereby became worthy of the Perfection of Wisdom. This parallel is remarkable not only for the similarities of the religious logic, but also for the fact that both have seven seals.
An account of Jesus’ expedition to Tibet and his subsequent practice of Samatha meditation was described by scholars. He was supposed to have obtained supernatural powers (Jhana and Abhina) and went back to Palestine to teach his skills
His doctrine may be compatible to that of a bodhisatta and his prediction of his second coming to this world to save people clearly supports the view of a bodhisatta since buddhas have to be humans
There is an account in the Buddhist texts of an young novice who came forward to accept a spare robe of the two that were offered to the Buddha. The audience was taken aback by the brave behaviour of the novice when the rest of the order of the monks that were present did not come forward. The Buddha told the audience that he was the would-be Metteyya who would become the next buddha one day.

This account comes from the scriptures which are direct words of Gottama Buddha and can be taken for granted as authentic. This evidence will support the view that Mettaya was not already in Tushita at the time of the Buddha. However, it will not support the theory nor will it nullify completely the Null hypothesis that we have put forward.
This is one of the theories i find most interesting it certainly explains a lot of things such why he disapeared for so long , the list of simularities between Buddhism and Christianty are endless , such as going to the temple confessing your sins to the monks and making an offering to Buddha so you may be forgiven , any catholic would recognise that, most of his teachings go against Jewish thought and law of the time, so where did he get these strange and dangerous ideas not from any of the other religions in the area Muslims or Romans why is the word of god spoken to people like moses so totaly different in tone and rhetoric when Jesus is the one telling everyone what god wants from them ? perhaps this should be in the conspiricy secion not the history forum?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an interesting story for sure, and one which probably has a lot of truth in it.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
that's an interesting story for sure, and one which probably has a lot of truth in it.

However, it's more suited to the conspiracy part of the forums is it not?

============================

It also reminded me of the "Was HITLER the 2nd coming" idea, which shows both to have common connections.
Here a few that I can recall:

Both Hitler & Jesus' fathers were wood workers, boths mothers were reputed to be one time hookers, both vanished after death despite being underground & sealed up...
I can't recall the entire list, but there were some 50 plus points that parralled them both.

I hold no faith in it at all BTW, you can draw parrallels between two items / people quite easily if you put ya' mind to it... (hmmm almost an oxymoron there).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard the idea that Mary was a prostitute. Who came up with that idea? It sounds like a desperate attempt to validate Hitler.
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've never heard the idea that Mary was a prostitute. Who came up with that idea? It sounds like a desperate attempt to validate Hitler.

As I said, I hold no faith in the notion...
Those were just a few items I recall from the argument / idea of the whole thing...

The main topic of convo' brought it to mind is all... twas not my theory.
I will try & find the 'writings' again.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARY magdoline was supposedly a prostitute although no early versions of the bible say that , it was tacked on to the end of a couple of chapters several hundred years later
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
MARY magdoline was supposedly a prostitute although no early versions of the bible say that , it was tacked on to the end of a couple of chapters several hundred years later

That rumor actually comes from changing of a word in Hebrew that has the meaning of "prostitute" when said a different way. If you look at the original word meant something more like "business woman" but it was changed later, probably on purpose. Learned all this in my Hebrew lessons. Much like in the first part of Genesis in Hebrew when God refers to "we" he uses the term in Hebrew that is both masculine and feminine "we" but it later changes to the masculine only "we".
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
alan1254 wrote:

That rumor actually comes from changing of a word in Hebrew that has the meaning of "prostitute" when said a different way. If you look at the original word meant something more like "business woman" but it was changed later, probably on purpose. Learned all this in my Hebrew lessons. Much like in the first part of Genesis in Hebrew when God refers to "we" he uses the term in Hebrew that is both masculine and feminine "we" but it later changes to the masculine only "we".

That's very interesting....... and good to know you were paying attention during your Hebrew lessons, too Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:
alan1254 wrote:

That's very interesting....... and good to know you were paying attention during your Hebrew lessons, too Laughing

Laughing What a good girl I am. However, all I could probably do in Israel is find the bathroom, tell them I don't speak Hebrew, order pork and grapes, and say "Your place or mine" Cool My Yiddish is much better! Oy vey!
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive that Jesus was a learned man and probably traveled extensively. . However he would not have had to go very far to be exposed to other world views and have his religious pratices altered. There were many hebrew apocalyptic cults at the same time as he ... all influenced by the predominance of Hellenistic rule. As in any time of upheaval, individuals look for a new way to make sense of the chaos. His was just ONE that clicked.

IMO the very nature of Judaism creates fertile ground for "free thinking" ... They were descended from nomadic tribes who had many gods and carried the traditions with them orally. If you sit down and read the Tanakh you can still see reference to the various gods though veiled it may be. Heck the "original" texts weren't all in hebrew! There was aramaic and greek tossed in there as well! To try to determine the ONE TRUE TEXT is impossible! but unimportant anyways because it seems to me that the relationship between god and the jews and their belief is one of give and take ... If you do this I'll give you that ... but what if I do this instead. To think Judaism has hundreds of "rules" ... do you think that strict or more "what about this?" they have books and books discussing the "laws!"

He need not be Buddhist to be apocalyptic.

To anyone interested there is an updated translation of the old and new testament. It came out a few years ago after many years of translation. Basically the publishers went back toi the original texts and removed the biased terms and used the appropriate terms. ex. if the pronoun used did not specify a gender in the original then the new translation used gender neutral terms. It really is a fascinating read! Almost like a treasure hunt! SO much better than that NUTJOB King James who filled his version with hysteria!

I could go on and on about how the female has been subjugated in the modern church but I am too tired right now so prepare for another day!

They say the first feminist was Adam's first wife Lillith ... she REFUSED to take the submissive position in the relationship because "God created them male and female" ... there are theories in the Midrash that he actually had 3 wives and Eve was the last one that clicked.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think big parts of the 'modern' (ie king james and so on) version of the bible have been edited in such a way as to keep women in their place and show that men had a superior role in all dealings with god and jesus and women were always tempting and contoling and plotting against the 'hero's' of the stories .. still on the other hand whats new?
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing What a good girl I am. However, all I could probably do in Israel is find the bathroom, tell them I don't speak Hebrew, order pork and grapes, and say "Your place or mine" Cool My Yiddish is much better! Oy vey![/quote] Purley to further my knowledge of important phases from around the world how would i say your place or mine if i were on a religious pilgrimage to the holy land?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
Laughing What a good girl I am. However, all I could probably do in Israel is find the bathroom, tell them I don't speak Hebrew, order pork and grapes, and say "Your place or mine" Cool My Yiddish is much better! Oy vey!
Purley to further my knowledge of important phases from around the world how would i say your place or mine if i were on a religious pilgrimage to the holy land?[/quote]
Laughing I only know how to say the feminine version, I can check with my old Hebrew teacher though to save you embarrassment! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: