Burning to DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canniescot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Burning to DVD Reply with quote

Hello,

I was looking through the posts - I am looking to burn onto a DVD some old episodes of Still Game. I saw a post where Faceless recommended purchasing a DVD player/recorder with Divx. I am such a novice at this - can anyone point me in the right direction.

I told one of my Scottish friends that I would get her a copy of this so that she can play it in her own tv. If only I knew what I was doing before making such promises!!

Thanks in advance.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Burning to DVD Reply with quote

Canniescot wrote:
Hello,

I was looking through the posts - I am looking to burn onto a DVD some old episodes of Still Game. I saw a post where Faceless recommended purchasing a DVD player/recorder with Divx. I am such a novice at this - can anyone point me in the right direction.

I told one of my Scottish friends that I would get her a copy of this so that she can play it in her own tv. If only I knew what I was doing before making such promises!!

Thanks in advance.

Faceless was the one that first told us about it, and I can tell you it was a great purchase. Here in the states, I purchased A Phillips Divx player. I think Faceless can point you in the direction of a Scottish purchase. I think you probably can't use a U.S. Divx DVD player on a European tv, but then again, I'm not so sure about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Canniescot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pirtybirdy for the response. I live in Dallas, Texas although I was born and bred in Glasgow. I guess I could purchase the Philips Divx player to use Stateside. My friend is also a fellow Scot from Troon, Ayrshire. She is the one that would like to see Still Game.

I was playing around with my computer earlier today - I think I may know how to get the episode onto a DVD but when I tried to play it on my home DVD player nothing appeared. Would the Philips correct this - do you think?

Thanks for your help.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3505

Read here as well about them.
Canniescot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks IrishMafia - after I log out I'm going to do a search of Amazon. See if I can get a good deal on one of these.
Canniescot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirtybirdy - I did a search on Amazon and came up with this:

Philips DVP5140 Multiformat DVD Player with DivX, MP3, Windows Media Support

Is this the correct player to buy. Many thanks for your help
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually perfect Cannie. It has all you need and similar specs to the one I have. You'll never have to worry about encoding video to burn. You simply burn all videos you download as data files which takes a couple minutes and that's it.

I use to encode all video to watch it on the tv in the sittingroom and it took anywhere from 1-3 hours, but now anything I download takes 1-3 minutes max and that's it...ready to watch and you can store so much on a CD or DVD it's really incredible.

As mentioned in my other post, I had over 1000 mp3's on my HD and I burned them all on one DVD and it plays beautifully. It will be the best purchase you ever make.
Canniescot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks IrishMafia - I am going to go ahead and get one today. Call it an early Mother's Day pressie for myself. What kind of discs do I need to get to burn? CD's or DVD's - there is such a choice out there - as you can see I really am an novice at this!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canniescot wrote:
Thanks IrishMafia - I am going to go ahead and get one today. Call it an early Mother's Day pressie for myself. What kind of discs do I need to get to burn? CD's or DVD's - there is such a choice out there - as you can see I really am an novice at this!

Being honest Cannie anything will do. I get the cheapest out there in bundles and never had a problem.

Look for bundle deals and maybe buy some blank cases to put them in. Verbatim usually has really good deals where you can get either DVD's or CD's bundled in stacks of 50 or 100.

Here's a place I use quite often:

Canniescot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I looked at my Staples flyer and they have a pack of DVD +R or DVD-R (60 in the pack) for $6.98. Which of these two would you recommend?_
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canniescot wrote:
Pirtybirdy - I did a search on Amazon and came up with this:

Philips DVP5140 Multiformat DVD Player with DivX, MP3, Windows Media Support

Is this the correct player to buy. Many thanks for your help

Hi Cannie! That is exactly what I have, and it works perfectly. It will play the AVI's without having to do anything special with the file. Just burn onto DVD and play. I think I ordered mine on Amazon. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canniescot wrote:
Thanks for the info. I looked at my Staples flyer and they have a pack of DVD +R or DVD-R (60 in the pack) for $6.98. Which of these two would you recommend?_

Either is good. One just burns a wee bit quicker than the other.
Canniescot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to go ahead and pick these up - I ordered the DivX Player off of Amazon, good price on it with free shipping. Gotta love that!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be on a commission for these divx players - that's 3 people who've bought them so far!
Canniescot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faceless - please tell me these are as easy to use as everyone says they are!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: