Chavez to U.S.: 'Go to hell, gringos!'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wrongs don't make a right no, but there's no comparison as far as I can see - Chavez is simply name-calling and "America" is attempting to destabilise his country through economic pressure. It's like a kid flinging a rock at a tank.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Two wrongs don't make a right no, but there's no comparison as far as I can see - Chavez is simply name-calling and "America" is attempting to destabilise his country through economic pressure. It's like a kid flinging a rock at a tank.

And you seem to miss the point that I have said all the other stuff he said was fine. Makes sense. He has every right to speak out against the American Government for what is going on. But if I have a black person who breaks into my house and I start yelling and screaming and call him a nigger, that is okay then?

I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this because I know you have very strong feelings towards the American Government and I have very strong feeling when it comes to racist slurs being used.
Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point is, Skylace is that you see it as racist and some other people don't. I don't mind if someone calls me Jock, Sweaty (sock-jock), or in some cases Limey. In the UK every person from the US is a Yank, some people don't like that either but is it racist?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat wrote:
The whole point is, Skylace is that you see it as racist and some other people don't. I don't mind if someone calls me Jock, Sweaty (sock-jock), or in some cases Limey. In the UK every person from the US is a Yank, some people don't like that either but is it racist?

The only way I can argue is from my perception. I don't like terms like Yank, Limey, or anything like that. I'm with Maya Angelou on this. Any type of term that is used to put people into a group like that and can be used in a negative manner only breeds hate a prejudice. I don't call French people "frogs" or German people "Krauts" or people from the south "crackers" It's negative and it's one of the things that I see as pulling us a part as a human race and belittling to others.
Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling a German a Kraut is offensive(I think), calling a Pakistani a Paki is definetly offensive, calling an Irish person a Mick is offensive too. But, in my mind a Venezuelan calling an American gringo........ok I see where this is going.........can he say "Bush, fuck off and mind your own business"? Razz
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat wrote:
Calling a German a Kraut is offensive(I think), calling a Pakistani a Paki is definetly offensive, calling an Irish person a Mick is offensive too. But, in my mind a Venezuelan calling an American gringo........ok I see where this is going.........can he say "Bush, fuck off and mind your own business"? Razz

YES! That's just fine! Laughing I'd say it for him even.
Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that's that sorted. Next debate!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: