downloads from the official site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: downloads from the official site Reply with quote

Is anyone else having problems with the downloads from the official Galloway site? Whenever I try to get one it seems to be cut short. I was really just wanting to check if they're still leaving the adverts and news in, and it seems they do, so I'll keep making them available without those extra chunks. Today's show is just around 2h07 when edited, so that makes the programmes about 30% unwanted guff!
edouard_g

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Having problems also, Keeps cutting off during the download. Its quite frustrating and the sendspace claims I'm downloading but I'm not because my ISP has a proxy server.

Sad

eD.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edouard_g wrote:
I am Having problems also, Keeps cutting off during the download. Its quite frustrating and the sendspace claims I'm downloading but I'm not because my ISP has a proxy server.

Sad

eD.

sendspace works fine for me using a proxy - and it says it shouldn't be a problem on their site. I'd email them...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from the guy who runs the official site and it seems that there's been an overload on their server company, so that explains the downloads not working sometimes. If anyone's having trouble in future, try using a download manager like the one you can get from www.flashget.com which will pick up your connection if it's lost.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason they're having problems is that they are hosted by servage.com, which is an unscrupulous company. They claim to offer 2,100 GB of transfer a month for peanuts, which is utterly impossible. If you sign up for an account with Servage and use even 20% of your supposed allotted bandwidth, they will either temporarily put a stop on the account and claim "server overload" or, more commonly, they will simply shut your account permanently and tell you that you've abused the T.O.S.

Sounds crazy? Just google "servage review" - they're shits!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
The reason they're having problems is that they are hosted by servage.com, which is an unscrupulous company. They claim to offer 2,100 GB of transfer a month for peanuts, which is utterly impossible. If you sign up for an account with Servage and use even 20% of your supposed allotted bandwidth, they will either temporarily put a stop on the account and claim "server overload" or, more commonly, they will simply shut your account permanently and tell you that you've abused the T.O.S.

Sounds crazy? Just google "servage review" - they're shits!

You know, that's exactly the same crap that ipowerweb pulled on us when we reached 10% of the supposed monthly allowance of 250gb, which is why we moved back to this space. Even this one that we're on just now (integrahost) have shut this space down a few times in the past for all sorts of reasons, including accusing us of using the server to send out spam, even though it's only ever emails regarding the forum that go out and they've also deleted a folder of ebooks without a word about it!

These companies are all bastards it seems...
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're exactly right, faceless.

You probably know this already - but it's called "overselling". Anyone can become a web host just by purchasing a reseller account from a current host and inserting their own details into a template site that handles the sign-ups. Most of the hosting sites out there that offer things like 250 GB transfer per month for $5.00, or similar, are overselling like crazy, and if you were to actually use the amount of transfer they pretend to offer, it would cripple them.

I've had plenty of experience with web hosting in the past and I've been lucky enough to have got good advice from people to stop me blundering into mistakes. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for, and if a host offers 250 GB a month for 5 dollars, it is without question a scam. They rely on people signing up and then not using anywhere near that amount, and if someone signs up who really needs that much transfer, then they're going to get ripped off.

The customer can't do a thing about it, either, because their copied and pasted Terms Of Service will always include the clause that they reserve the right to cut you off at any time, for any reason, including no reason at all, and keep your money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: