Do your own laser eye-surgery...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Do your own laser eye-surgery... Reply with quote

This seems to be real!

www.lasikathome.com

Surprised
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes of course, DIY eye surgery...why not?

I mean if you mess up one eye then at least you have another to try and get right. We're only talking about your eyesight so it's not as if it's the end of the world if something goes wrong.

This has to be some sort of spoof / gag surely?!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god! I had LASIK done and you have to shave your cornea first before the laser is put on. This has to be a joke! If not, there's some really thick people out there Shocked
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Dear god! I had LASIK done and you have to shave your cornea first before the laser is put on. This has to be a joke! If not, there's some really thick people out there Shocked

I've had it done as well and it has to be a joke. You can't shave your cornea accurately by looking in a mirror. You need a precision tool in order to do it and the flap has to be put back perfectly or your vision will have a watery effect for the rest of your life.

You also have to be sure your pupil is the correct size. If it's too small and LASIK is performed you'll have halos and zero night vision for the rest of your life sherlock
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I've had it done as well and it has to be a joke. You can't shave your cornea accurately by looking in a mirror. You need a precision tool in order to do it and the flap has to be put back perfectly or your vision will have a watery effect for the rest of your life.

You also have to be sure your pupil is the correct size. If it's too small and LASIK is performed you'll have halos and zero night vision for the rest of your life sherlock

Exactly! I noticed at the bottom it said it wasn't FDA approved. However, there is a place where you can place the order! Confused
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Exactly! I noticed at the bottom it said it wasn't FDA approved. However, there is a place where you can place the order! Confused

Well one thing is for sure, if this isn't a hoax and people actually do try it, they'll go crying to their optometrist once they realise they've effed their sight, and there's bugger all that can be done once LASIK is performed.

I've worked in a couple clinics where patients would come in with loads and loads of problems after getting it done at these chop shops that don't conduct a proper exam before saying they're eligible. Nothing can be done to help them because you can't reverse it. You can't repair their peripheral vision, night vision or take away the halos since the pupil is still reacting normally, but the scope of the lens itself is forcing itself wider to compensate.

Also, how would they possibly know just how far to go with correction? If a person has a -4.75 script for instance? They would for sure under or over refract.

It HAS to be a joke nerd
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Well one thing is for sure, if this isn't a hoax and people actually do try it, they'll go crying to their optometrist once they realise they've effed their sight, and there's bugger all that can be done once LASIK is performed.

I've worked in a couple clinics where patients would come in with loads and loads of problems after getting it done at these chop shops that don't conduct a proper exam before saying they're eligible. Nothing can be done to help them because you can't reverse it. You can't repair their peripheral vision, night vision or take away the halos since the pupil is still reacting normally, but the scope of the lens itself is forcing itself wider to compensate.

Also, how would they possibly know just how far to go with correction? If a person has a -4.75 script for instance? They would for sure under or over refract.

It HAS to be a joke nerd

I agree! Sad
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/lasikathome.asp

I just love snopes! Laughing
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

As I mentioned in the PM, I called a doctor friend of mine and he said there are LASIK@home kits, and he was aware of them for the last year now Surprised He said people are actually doing it in the USA but it's not approved in Canada.

Maybe that site is a hoax, but there actually are kits out there people can use Confused Madness lol
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

As I mentioned in the PM, I called a doctor friend of mine and he said there are LASIK@home kits, and he was aware of them for the last year now Surprised He said people are actually doing it in the USA but it's not approved in Canada.

Maybe that site is a hoax, but there actually are kits out there people can use Confused Madness lol

That is just maddness! Who on earth would think that it's a good idea to perform a surgery like this on themselves wow And shame on the companies that would say it was safe! no
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

That is just maddness! Who on earth would think that it's a good idea to perform a surgery like this on themselves wow And shame on the companies that would say it was safe! no

If I ever see lobotomy in a box I'll go for that one. I think I've given myself a partial one a few times sticking a pencil in my ear, but going for the full package would be my preference.

If anyone happens to see one on ebay, gimme a holla Very Happy
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Good Lord! I can lose my glasses on my face let alone trying to do my own surgery!!!! I say if you try this at home, you deserve any of the negative consequences.

There are just some things that are worth paying the money for rather than trying to scrimp and save.

I for one will stick with my glasses and be thankful for what sight I have Cool
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering LASIK but would never do it myself. Jeez, people must be mad to think they could even try. Sometimes, even the surgeons don't do a perfect job, which is what is worrying me. I haven't even been for a consult yet. I'm still researching everything I can find first, so I know what questions to ask when I do go in, and so I'll know if I'm told any BS.

nerd
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twirley wrote:
I'm considering LASIK but would never do it myself. Jeez, people must be mad to think they could even try. Sometimes, even the surgeons don't do a perfect job, which is what is worrying me. I haven't even been for a consult yet. I'm still researching everything I can find first, so I know what questions to ask when I do go in, and so I'll know if I'm told any BS.

nerd

I had mine done in 1999. And after all this time I haven't had to get anything else ever done to my eyes. My night vision isn't as keen as it used to be but I feel just fine driving at night. I had glasses since I was six years old and couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. LASIK was a godsend for me. It's so nice to open my eyes in the morning and be able to see!
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Twirley wrote:

nerd

I had mine done in 1999. And after all this time I haven't had to get anything else ever done to my eyes. My night vision isn't as keen as it used to be but I feel just fine driving at night. I had glasses since I was six years old and couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. LASIK was a godsend for me. It's so nice to open my eyes in the morning and be able to see!

Thanks for instilling some confidence, Sky. I really should book a consult just to check it out. I guess I'm just scared of the risk, even though I know it's small, but a consult can't hurt me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: