UK network to do fictional Bush assassination film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: UK network to do fictional Bush assassination film Reply with quote

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British public broadcaster Channel 4 is courting controversy with what it calls a "shockingly real" drama about the fictional assassination of President George W. Bush.

"Death of a President," shot in the form of a documentary examining the assassination, will use a blend of archival footage and computer-generated special effects to portray Bush in October 2007 arriving in Chicago during an anti-war rally.

In the film, Bush is killed by a sniper, and the investigation quickly focuses on a Syrian-born man. It will air in October on Channel 4's More4 digital channel, as well as at the Toronto Film Festival in September.

"It's a pointed political examination of what the war on terror is doing to the American body politic," said More4 boss Peter Dale at a press conference on Thursday.

Promotional materials described the program as "a thought-provoking critique of the contemporary U.S. political landscape."

Dale acknowledged that the program will be controversial, but maintained that it was a sophisticated work meant to spur debate.

"I'm sure there will be people upset by it," he said. "I hope people will see the intention as a good one."

Channel 4, which is publicly owned but funded by advertising, was criticized last week by outgoing ITV Chief Executive Charles Allen for its reliance on reality TV shows and "shock docs."

More4's autumn schedule also includes "The Trial of Tony Blair," a satirical program about the future resignation of the British Prime Minister.

I think the film is going to be facinating and I'd love to see it. If it was shown in america I think a lot of people would go see it because it's such an outrageous thing to create, and curiosity would get the best of most.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be making a loop from the assassination scene and using it as my avatar!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can all figure out my opinion on the matter. It's "bullsh*t". Controversial yes, opens up things for debate? Puhlease! It's fiction. It can't be called a documentary. There's nothing to debate about. If anything, it eggs on the wackadoodles in the world to do just that. I find it disturbing and hope in never airs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I guess you can all figure out my opinion on the matter. It's "bullsh*t". Controversial yes, opens up things for debate? Puhlease! It's fiction. It can't be called a documentary. There's nothing to debate about. If anything, it eggs on the wackadoodles in the world to do just that. I find it disturbing and hope in never airs.

It's actually a mockumentary or should be stated as such.

I don't know what gave the writer the idea to do this and can't really see it bringing up anything to debate since it is a mockumentary and not likely to happen. He'll serve the remainder of his term and be gone and that will be that, although he does leave a very bad taste in most americans mouths towards both himself and republicans in general.

His legacy will be a very harsh and negative one and rightly so since he's done so much wrong during his tenor, and perhaps that's the reason why the writer felt compelled to do this.

Approval rating for bush and his republicans was down to 21% today. If I was a republican I'd loathe him for what he's done to the popularity of the party and count down the days till he leaves office with great anticipation.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't like Bush anymore than the next person, but I won't watch this film. I don't like any "fictionalization" of real life figures like this. But then, that's just my taste...... it should be free to air and those who don't like it, shouldn't watch. I think it would be very difficult for his family members, even Bush himself.
fritz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe thy should have a MOCKUNENTARY LOL About the assassination of the f**king Queen
Razz
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
I think maybe thy should have a MOCKUNENTARY LOL About the assassination of the f**king Queen
Razz

Just one more reason I love you fritz Laughing kiss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: