Help with Serviio streaming VLC created mp4 files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Help with Serviio streaming VLC created mp4 files? Reply with quote

My googling is failing for a answer, so perhaps you lot who play around with encoding files might have some idea.

Basically had some files that I used VLC to re-encode into mp4 format, does a great job, much smaller files. Plays on the computer fine.

Serviio as a DNLA server to stream the content, has no issues before the encode when it was in avi format, but now in mp4 it can't play a thing. It plays things in mp4 format in general, just not stuff I created.

I think it must be a VLC issue causing this, but I can't pinpoint if there's a setting I need to change, nor if there's a way to fix it.

So, any ideas?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the DIVX web player/streamer? That works for me no problem.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files play fine on the computer, they just don't stream via Serviio, or anything else to Upnp devices.

The Android app popped up a error message about a missing url info in the file.

Bit of googling and found AVC - http://www.any-video-converter.com/support/ had a option to "flatten" and move header type info from the end of the file to the beginning of the file, which is what's needed for streaming of content on websites to work without having to download/buffer the whole file.

So doing that worked, to some extent, but it seems rather choppy. And this program doesn't seem to have a option to keep the video bitrate so it can make a massive file and all a bit random.

Still looking for a proper or nicer fix for this.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now tried Freemake Video Convertor....both off of filehippo.com

This one can at least keep original audio/video bit rate and other settings and just convert the movie so that it works.

It's not drag and drop though so a bit clunky to use and it's not nearly as past as AVC above but requires less faffing around.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been uploading files to dailymotion, then downloading their 480p mp4s once they've converted. That solves the problem, though you will need to upload it there.

I use Handbrake to make mp4s for use here, and just noticed there's a 'web optimized' check box that makes the files stream instantly.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems that VLC is missing that web optimised option in the options. So it puts the header info at the end of the file, which is the cause of the problem as you can't stream them then.

Shame as it's pretty quick and comes up with nice and small files when it converts them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: