Cartoon cats to cut back on smokes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Cartoon cats to cut back on smokes. Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/21/odd.tomandjerry.reut/index.html

England wants Tom and Jerry to cut back on the smokes

Monday, August 21, 2006; Posted: 1:44 p.m. EDT (17:44 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.

The review was triggered by a complaint to British media regulator Ofcom by one viewer who took offence to two episodes of Tom and Jerry shown on the Boomerang channel, part of Turner Broadcasting which itself belongs to Time Warner Inc.

"We are going through the entire catalogue," Yinka Akindele, spokeswoman for Turner in Europe, said on Monday.

"This is a voluntary step we've taken in light of the changing times," she said, adding the painstaking review had been prompted by the Ofcom complaint.

The regulator's latest news bulletin stated that a viewer, who was not identified, had complained about two smoking scenes on Tom and Jerry, saying they "were not appropriate in a cartoon aimed at children."

In the first, "Texas Tom", the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, "Tennis Chumps", Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

"The licensee has ... proposed editing any scenes or references in the series where smoking appeared to be condoned, acceptable, glamorized or where it might encourage imitation," Ofcom said, adding that "Texas Tom" was one such example.

Akindele said cartoons would only be modified "where smoking could be deemed to be cool or glamorized", and that scenes where a villain was featured with a cigarette or cigar would not necessarily be cut.

"These are historic cartoons, they were made well over 50 years ago in a different time and different place," she added. "Our audience is children and we don't want to be irresponsible."

Turner Broadcasting in the United States could not immediately be reached for comment.

Ofcom said it recognized smoking was more generally accepted when cartoons were produced in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, but argued that the threshold for including such scenes when the audience was predominately young should be high.

About 56 percent of Boomerang's audience is aged four to 14 years old.

Early reaction to the review on Web logs broadly attacked Turner's decision.

"Have to dig out all those photos and films of [Winston] Churchill and airbrush out the cigars," said a message posted on the "Organ Grinder" forum on the Guardian newspaper's Web site.

The review was not the first time a famous cartoon character was forced to give up smoking.

Belgian cartoonist Maurice de Bevere replaced his most popular creation Lucky Luke's ubiquitous cigarette with a blade of grass, winning him an award from the World Health Organization in 1988.

Boomerang and Turner Broadcasting are owned by Time Warner as is CNN.com.

--------------------------------------
I think this might be taking things too far...... I mean, I watched all those cartoons when I was a kid and I don't smoke, nor find it glamourous. Adults aren't giving kids enough credit for being able to tell the difference between real life and "make believe".
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 30 years time there will be kids passing round rare original copies to their mates in the schoolyard... sniggering to each other about how pathetic it was to ban it. And they'll be right too!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cartoon cats to cut back on smokes. Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I think this might be taking things too far...... I mean, I watched all those cartoons when I was a kid and I don't smoke, nor find it glamourous. Adults aren't giving kids enough credit for being able to tell the difference between real life and "make believe".

I agree with that as well. Even the violent ones. I think kids understand that if an anvil falls on your head from the top of a cliff, you aren't just gonna get a lump on your head. The funniest things I've watched were bugs bunny being chased, tweety bird being chased, and roadrunner being chased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
In 30 years time there will be kids passing round rare original copies to their mates in the schoolyard... sniggering to each other about how pathetic it was to ban it. And they'll be right too!

Exactly. I mean, although smoking is bad for sure, there are certainly programs that show far worse things. Look at the Simpsons...... they show a ton of things that aren't politically correct, yet I don't see it being banned.

Perhaps parents should start watching tv with their children and discuss these issues with them rather than just banning everything. Banning something doesn't really get rid of the issue, it just pushes it on the back burner and makes it "taboo" so to speak. I think you'll find that kids will be more inclined to want to find out what that kind of thing is like if it's made out to be this mysterious thing.

I remember when I was young, I knew that smoking wasn't acceptable, but my dad always said that if I wanted to try it, that was ok, but he would be the one to buy and give me the cigarette and that it would be done at home. Maybe not the most conventional approach but consequently, it was never a big deal and I really wasn't tempted. Sure this might not work with everyone, but the point is, we talked about those kinds of things and my parents knew where my head was at
rabidplaty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted Turner has been an ass about the cartoon library he bought since he acquired it. Not long after he bought all of the old classics, he had temas going through and editing out a great deal of violent acts. If you watch any Roadrunner cartoons on the Cartoon Network, it's easy to tell that parts are missing. :grr: :grr: :grr:
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cartoon cats to cut back on smokes. Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

I agree with that as well. Even the violent ones. I think kids understand that if an anvil falls on your head from the top of a cliff, you aren't just gonna get a lump on your head. The funniest things I've watched were bugs bunny being chased, tweety bird being chased, and roadrunner being chased.

I agree with both of you.

One thing is for sure, I have some of the classics on tape from when we recorded them from tv when I was kid. And I am glad I do. I've noticed Tom and Jerry and plenty others already being edited as early as the 90s.

For a while on Cartoon Network they wouldn't even show "Speedy Gonzales" because it was "racial"
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disgusted by it all.
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC sucks !!!!
This whole Cartoon business is just another form of censorship and the people that applaude it should start worrying when something they love is going to be taken away.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: