Marmite plunderer clears shop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Marmite plunderer clears shop Reply with quote

Thief won't stop stealing store's Marmite supply
An obsessive thief has been convicted of shoplifting after repeatedly cleaning a store out of Marmite.

Nicholas Welch received a 12-month supervision order after swiping 18 jars in four different raids from the Spar store at a Shell garage in Kingsthorpe, Northamptonshire. In desperation, manager Jim Keary was forced to stop selling the spread for several weeks in November. Welch, 30, was finally caught when people recognised his profile on CCTV. ‘I am glad we have been able to help the police. He was clearly doing it to raise some cash,’ said Mr Keary.

------------------

"He was clearly doing it to raise some cash," - you what?! Laughing
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that there was such a strong marmite black market. Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spread no more: Denmark bans Marmite
Yeast extract spread falls foul of Danish law restricting products fortified with added vitamins

According to the advert, you either love it or hate it. As far as Marmite goes, it seems that Denmark hates the stuff. That at least is the conclusion that many foreigners have drawn following a ban on the sticky brown yeast extract.

The sales ban enforces a law restricting products fortified with added vitamins. Food giant Kelloggs withdrew some brands of breakfast cereal from Denmark when the legislation passed in 2004, but until now Marmite had escaped the attention of Danish authorities.

"What am I supposed to put on my toast now?" asked British advertising executive Colin Smith, who has lived in the country for six years. "I still have a bit left in the cupboard, but it's not going to last long."

Aside from inconveniencing foreigners, the ban has meant a serious economic loss for some. "Marmite was our most popular product," said Marianne Ørum, who together with her Scottish partner owns Abigail's, a Copenhagen store selling foodstuffs from Britain and South Africa.

Ørum said that the order, which came by telephone from the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, was not entirely unexpected as they had previously been ordered to stop selling Australian Vegemite.

"What is at issue here is that people in Denmark are not allowed to eat what they want to eat, even if it is perfectly legal to do so under EU law," said Ørum.

Marmite is not the only product to have fallen foul: Horlicks, Ovaltine and Farley's Rusks are similarly proscribed.

The ruling is not going down well with the country's substantial expatriate community – many of them work for large multinational firms such as Lego and Vestas, only to move away after a year or two.

The government has admitted it is having trouble retaining these highly-skilled foreign workers, and has even debated measures in parliament to make them stay. This latest move is unlikely to help.

Recent comments from the Danish immigration minister, Søren Pind, that foreigners should "assimilate" or leave, coupled with the country's recent unilateral decision to reinstate border checks, have left some residents questioning the motivation behind the crackdown.

Lyndsay Jensen, a Yorkshire born graphic designer in Copenhagen, despaired of the move. "They don't like it because it's foreign," she said, adding that she already planned to send off for supplies from abroad. "But if they want to take my Marmite off me they'll have to wrench it from my cold dead hands."

A spokesman for the DVFA said he was too busy to talk about iton Tuesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/denmark-bans-marmite

outrageous!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered what this stuff tastes like.... never seen it here.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they used to make it from the scrapings of beer barrels - pure yeast extract. It's quite bitter tasting.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwwwww! Won't be in a rush to try it then.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it in the supermarket by the international stuff. I'm too chicken to try it because I heard it tastes awful too. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be a wimp pirty! marmite on toast is lovely Smile
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have to give it up to wimpdom. Beer barrel scrapings on toast? No thanks. lol Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
Sorry, I have to give it up to wimpdom. Beer barrel scrapings on toast? No thanks. lol Laughing

I'm with you....let's hear it for wimpdom! Laughing
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Marmite ! Whats wrong with you wimps ?
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed Aja. Used it as toothpaste once. Really. Unless you love it very much, that's not recommended, defo not for wimps.

They get the vegemite ..
Bradley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adverts for this stuff are right, it is either something that you love or something that you hate.

For me it is a taste that I have never acquired
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: