George Galloway to stand in Bradford West election
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: George Galloway to stand in Bradford West election Reply with quote

Maverick politician George Galloway planning to stand in Bradford West by-election
Mickey McMonagle
Mar 5 2012
dailyrecord.co.uk

OUTSPOKEN Scots politician George Galloway says he is ready to make a return to Parliament. The 57-year-old Daily Record columnist is hoping to stand as an independent candidate in the Bradford West by-election. Galloway has served as an MP before – representing the constituencies of Hillhead and Kelvin in Glasgow, then Bethnal Green and Bow in London – between 1987 and 2010. He was formerly a member of the Labour Party but was expelled in 2003.

A source close to Galloway said last night: “He wants to get back in to Westminster. He feels there is a dearth of debate on the vital issues of the day and a real lack of a clear alternative to the path we are on. George speaks in Bradford at least five times a year so already has a high profile in the town. We are going there tomorrow to meet the movers and shakers in the local community. It’s going to be a quick by-election.”

Labour’s Marsha Singh stood down as MP for Bradford West – which has thousands of Muslim voters – because of “serious health problems”.

-------------------------
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's video of GG speaking in Bradford. CLICK TO WATCH
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imran Hussain, Local Barrister, To Fight George Galloway In Bradford West By-Election
Huffington Post
12/03/2012

The Labour Party has chosen a 33-year-old local barrister to take on George Galloway, among others, in the forthcoming Bradford West by-election. Bradford city councillor Imran Hussain was chosen from a shortlist of seven at a meeting in the city last night, the party said.

The by-election, on March 29, has been called because Labour's Marsha Singh decided to step down due to health problems. Mr Singh has represented the seat since 1997 and had a majority of 5,763 in the 2010 general election.

Mr Hussain, who is deputy leader of Bradford Council, said: "It is a great honour to have been selected by the Labour Party to contest this election in my home constituency. Bradford West is where I was born, where I went to school and where I live now. I've been a hard working local campaigner since I was a teenager.

"Now more than ever Bradford people need a strong voice to stand up for them in the face of unfair Tory cuts and spiralling unemployment that are hitting our local families hard - I will be that strong voice. If I'm elected I promise I will always do what's right for Bradford, not what's right for Westminster, and that means working tirelessly to bring investment and well-paid jobs to our great city."

Other candidates who have so far announced they are standing include Jeanette Sunderland for the Lib Dems, Jackie Whiteley for the Tories, Sonja McNally for UKIP and George Galloway for Respect.

----------------

So, that'll further confuse the little inglanders who are convinced that Galloway will get 'the Muslim block vote'.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad for his wife and kid.
MegaChairmanMao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: West Bradford candidates debate Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okKxC4ZNIqw

I fixed the sync as much as I could but it still strays towards the end. It's on BBC's iPlayer under "Sunday Politics Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 25/3/2012" if anybody wants to get a better rip.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Chairman, I'm grabbing it now. But the sync in that one seems to be ok for me
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MegaChairmanMao for letting me know this was on
MegaChairmanMao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better than my version, kudos!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012-03-25 - Bradford Respect meeting
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rashy Rashid Votes George Galloway
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently GG thinks he's won the election and has texted journalists to say so...

That would be quite a turnup - I'll try and get the announcement recorded.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky News - 2012-03-30

luke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one - although i'll wait for confirmation on the count before cracking open my last pear cider Smile

do you know when the final result should be in? are any of the news channels covering it?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be on soon - I'm recording anyway. From the way the media are all over it, I'm guessing it's just a matter of time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: