what are you favourite ways of cooking prawns/shrimp?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: what are you favourite ways of cooking prawns/shrimp? Reply with quote

i love prawns, but i don't really know how to cook them - i only ever stir fry them, and whilst thats nice, i was wondering what other ways i could try?

so what are you favourite ways of cooking them? or if you don't cook, how do you like them cooked?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We boil 'em in beer around these parts. Just for a minute or so, I think. Yummy...even with crap beer (don't waste a good beer), they are good.

Ceviche is nice too, but that doesn't have to be just shrimp. You could really put any white mild fish or shellfish in that.
johrae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put plenty sliced garlic and olive oil in an oven proof dish. Put in the oven until hot. Add fresh parsley and prawns. Put back in oven until prawns are just cooked (never over cook prawns). Eat with plenty of crusty bread to dip in the oil. mmmmm
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum, johrae, that sounds awesome!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds nice johrae, thanks

do you reckon a bit of red chilli would work alright with that - would it work with the parsley? how about a little squeeze of lemon once its cooked to give it a little zing?

what do you have with the beer boiled prawns spursfan?

i'd never heard of ceviche, but it sounds nice, i don't think i'd have it with prawns but i might try it with some fish

keep the ideas coming Smile

edit - looks like the olive oil, garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon will all work together food
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually had them as sort of a nibble for gatherings, but you can use them as a starter for either a seafood or beef dinner I suppose, or do a Southern US thing and have them with chips and cole slaw (sort of a mayonaise-y salad using cabbage). I think I like the sound of them with a nice steak and a salad...
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with lots of spinach and garlic. This is my favourite food.

1st fry your prawns (say 300 grams +) in oil with lots (I mean really a lot) of finely chopped garlic, onions, cumin powder, turmaric powder, (optional) red chilli powder (say half tea spoon) and 1-2 green chilli.

Leave the fried prawn aside.

Put a kg of chopped spinach (I buy the already chopped one) in that pan again. Also add the corrinader shoots. Add more vegetable/olive oil.

Once they are soft, add your fried prawns. Add more cumin, salt and oil if you need more. At the last 5 mins add the chopped corriander leaves.
You can also try it with by adding a pepper and/or, a tomato.

Done. Add some lemon/lime juice if want to. Eat with rice.

Tea tastes better after spicy food.
PS: weird idea, but have any of you tried tea with black pepper? I discovered it when a few bit of ground black pepper fell onto my teas! Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peel and eat, pure and simple!
luke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one ash, i'm liking the idea of adding spinach Smile
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinade the prawns overnight in a little sesame oil, mashed lemon grass, freshly-ground mixed pepper, a couple of star anise pods, some lime juice and a little dry white sherry or saki.

Line an oven dish with bacon, sausages and diced onion and drizzle with peanut oil. Place a piece of grease-proof paper on top, covering the layer of meats entirely. Use plenty of paper, so that it rides well up the edges of the dish.

Place the prawns on the grease-proof paper. Put some broccoli florets around the outside of the prawn layer and drizzle them with the remaining marinade, being extremely careful not to let any of the marinade run down the edges and on to the meat layer below.

Cover and bake at a medium heat for about 25 minutes.

When cooked, carefully lift the paper parcel containing the prawns and broccoli, being cautious not to let any of the juices spill.

Serve the bacon and sausage layer. Throw the stinking sea insects and greenery straight into the bin. Goes well with bread & butter and 5 pints of Guinness.
food
luke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SquareEyes wrote:
stinking sea insects

Laughing
Stones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have said that i did the prawns as in the recipe i posted above with the olive oil, garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon ( and i've added spinach a few times ) - ands its lovely Smile i even got my mum into it, and she didn't think she liked prawns, chilli or garlic!

i've tried cooking fish - haddock, pollack and basa ( a catfish but just like white fish ) with the same ingredients ( butter, olive oil, garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon ). for a lazy meal i put everything in a foil parcel, wack it in the oven in for a bit, give it a shake every now and then, and thats it - done!

so if anyone else has any ideas for other ways of cooking prawns, let me know Smile
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke, you can always try a ceviche. I have made several kinds and I love it. Search it and pick one of the dozens of recipes you find. It is awesome stuff!
luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks spurs, i've been intending to try out ceviche, but with fish instead of prawns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: