Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 am Post subject: Anonymous attacks
Hackers target San Francisco's rapid transit system
August 14, 2011
(CNN) -- Members of a well-known hacking group -- according to a statement and Twitter messages -- took credit Sunday for an online attack targeting San Francisco's embattled transit system. Anonymous -- in a news release attributed to the group, and backed up by related Twitter pages -- said it would take down the website of the Bay Area Rapid Transit System, known as BART, between noon and 6 p.m. PT Sunday. This is in response to the system's decision to cut off cellphone signals at "select" subway stations in response to a planned protest last week.
"By (cutting cell service), you have not only threatened your citizens' safety, you have also performed an act of censorship," a seemingly computer-generated voice -- speaking over dramatic music and images -- said in a video posted online Sunday afternoon. "By doing this, you have angered Anonymous."
On Sunday afternoon, a link off BART's website to myBART.org apparently had been hacked. It showed a page featuring, among other items, the Anonymous logo -- a smirking mask above two crossed swords, all on a black background. In addition, Twitter traffic related to Anonymous boasted that hackers had been able to get into BART's internal network. Several related items and documents were posted, including one claiming to be "the User Info Database of MyBart.gov." This had e-mails and, in some cases, phone numbers of hundreds of people.
"We apologize to any citizen that has his information published, but you should go to BART and ask them why your information wasn't secure with them," the posted item said. "Also do not worry, probably the only information that will be abused from this database is that of BART employees."
A call to a BART communication officer was not immediately returned. In a statement on its website released earlier in the day, BART acknowledged that it was aware of the threatened online attack -- and was taking steps in response. "We're doing what we can to defend against any attack on the BART website," the system said. "BART's website infrastructure is wholly separate from any computer network involved in the operation of BART service."
In recent years, the hacking collective calling itself Anonymous has targeted several organizations to make political statements. Last week, for instance, Anonymous promised an "operation" targeting Facebook. And it took credit for hacking the site of the Syrian Defense Ministry, replacing its content with an anti-government message and the Anonymous logo. Anonymous also has boasted about taking down numerous other prominent websites, including those of PayPal, MasterCard, Visa and the Church of Scientology.
The action in San Francisco is the latest challenge for the transit system, which has faced criticism after several shootings involving its police officers -- the latest coming last month and resulting in the death of 45-year-old Charles Hill. Demonstrators had planned a rally last Thursday to bring attention to the issue. But BART contended that such a protest during rush hour endangered the safety of commuters and employees.
In response, the system said in a statement that "it temporarily interrupted service at select BART stations as one of many tactics to ensure the safety of everyone on the platform." The move was made on the same day that British Prime Minister David Cameron proposed a crackdown on social media to quell riots.
The statement from Anonymous also touted a new peaceful demonstration that it said would occur at 5 p.m. Monday at the transit system's Civic Center station. "We sincerely hope that this series of actions will serve as a warning to BART and every public organization in the USA to NOT engage in this sort of dangerous and human rights violating behavior," the statement said. In the video statement linked to Anonymous and posted Sunday, a voice urges demonstrators to wear red shirts "in remembrance of those who have been battered by the BART police" and bring a camera to record the events. "We will show the world and BART that we will not stand for these types of actions," the voice said.
BART issued another alert Sunday advising riders about the possible Monday protest. "As always, BART's primary mission is to ensure your safety and keep trains on-time," said a statement on the system's website. "BART may need to close some stations temporarily or make other service adjustments on short notice."
Hacker group Anonymous performs 'vigilante' attack on online child porn hub
'Hacktivist' group Anonymous has fired the first shot in what it claims will be a war against Internet child pornography.
The renegade hacking collective - which has been criticised by law enforcement agencies in the US and the UK - shut down the largest host of such illegal material on the Web.
Anonymous has posted reactions from chat users said to be paedophiles furious at its actions, which include a British user who claims to have hosted a site which earned him £600 a day.
'What are the ****s that brought down Lolita City?' he said, 'My site is bankrolled by the Russian mob.'
In a statement issued on the internet, Anonymous said that it had warned Freedom Hosting to take the sites down but the company failed to do so.
Anonymous hackers then disabled its servers and would continue to do so until the material was removed.
The group claims at least 40 websites have been shut down, accounting for more than 100GB of content which depicts children being abused.
It also infiltrated the user database and has published the account details of 1,569 paedophiles online.
The attack is a change of tack for Anonymous which has previously attacked companies such as Mastercard, Visa, and Paypal in response to the card companies' refusal to process donations to Wikileaks.
Its latest operation began on October 14 and targeted child porn on the ‘darknet’ - anonymised sites designed to protect users' identities, which are invisible to normal web users.
Anonymous hackers detected the links to the pornography and removed them but they were up again within five minutes.
They then discovered that 95% of the links were being hosted by Freedom Hosting and so shut down the firm’s servers.
Freedom Hosting switched to their backups but Anonymous closed them down again.
In an online statement Anonymous said that it was appalled by any the company for ‘openly supporting child pornography and enabling pedophiles to view innocent children, fueling their issues and putting children at risk of abduction, molestation, rape, and death’.
It read: ‘For this, Freedom Hosting has been declared #OpDarknet Enemy Number One...
‘...we will continue to not only crash Freedom Hosting's server, but any other server we find to contain, promote, or support child pornography.’
The operation was accompanied by the Twitter hashtag #OpDarknet to encourage other hackers to take part.
In a statement posted on YouTube, a computerised voice from Anonymous added: ‘Many of us have lingering traumatic images of the material that these pedophiles were hiding on the darknet.
‘Anonymous took a pledge to defend the defenseless and fight for the fallen…the darknet is a vast sea of many providers.
‘However, we fully intend to make it uninhabitable for these disgusting degenerates to exist.’
Anonymous grew out of 4chan, a notorious message board for hackers from around the world.
It became famous in 2008 after taking on the Church of Scientology over a leaked video of Tom Cruise promoting the belief which Anonymous members kept reposting to the Internet.
It has no leaders and anyone can suggest an individual or an organisation to target.
if this group of hackers were able to find these sites, and hosters, why can't police/government do something? i mean, it can't be legal in any country, so why is it left to anonymous to shut them down?
its all good shutting them down, but its probably a temporary solution, the people behind the sites and content need to be caught - and thats not something anonymous can do - its going to need collaboration between the police in whatever countries these hosts and people are in
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:34 pm Post subject: Operation Darknet
Tuesday, after hacking into Lolita City, a darknet website used by pedophiles to trade in child pornography, Anonymous released usernames and other information of 1,589 pedophiles trading in kiddie porn.
The move comes after the group managed to take down more than 40 pedophile websites last week which were swapping images through the Tor anonymization network.
A darknet website is a closed private network of computers used for file sharing. Darknet websites are part of the Invisible Web, sometimes called the Deep Web, containing content that is not part of the Surface Web, which is indexed by standard search engines.
Yesterday Pastebin release, Anonymous enthusiasts explain the technical side of how they were able to locate and identify Lolita City and access their user data base. In a prior Pastebin release, Anonymous offers a timeline of events detailing the discovery of the hidden cache of more than 100 gigabytes of child porn associated with Lolita City.
Israeli military, intelligence sites down after ‘Anonymous’ threat
Maan News Agency
November 6, 2011
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli army and intelligence agencies’ websites were offline on Sunday, two days after hacker group Anonymous warned it would “strike back” for Israel’s capture of Gaza-bound ships on Friday.
Anonymous, a network of online activists who have attacked government and financial websites around the world, released a statement Friday warning that the group would take action against the navy’s seizure of two ships aiming to break Israel’s blockade on the Gaza Strip.
“Your actions are illegal, against democracy, human rights, international, and maritime laws,” the statement addressed to the government of Israel and posted on Youtube and Anonymous-affiliated sites said. “Justifying war, murder, illegal interception, and pirate-like activities under an illegal cover of defense will not go unnoticed by us or the people of the world.”
Websites for Israel’s army, internal Shin Bet security service, and Mossad spy agency could not be accessed on Sunday. It could not be confirmed that Anonymous was responsible. An Israeli army spokesman said it was a “strange coincidence” but he could not confirm that hacking was responsible. “Initial investigations conducted by the internet company indicate problem with the internet servers,” a military spokeswoman added. She said they did not know whether it came as a result of a hack.
In its statement Anonymous slammed Israel’s deadly raid on a flotilla heading to Gaza last year, which killed nine Turkish nationals. “If you continue blocking humanitarian vessels to Gaza or repeat the dreadful actions of May 31st, 2010 against any Gaza Freedom Flotillas then you will leave us no choice but to strike back. Again and again, until you stop,” the statement said.
Saudi Hackers hacked and leaked financial details of 400 thousand Israelis
Tue Jan 03 2012
Saudi hackers who identified themselves as part of the online Anonymous network claimed on Monday to have hacked and leaked files containing personal details, including credit card information , belonging to more than 400,000 ‘Israelis’.
A hacker claiming to be a member of a group of Saudi hackers called Group-XP, hacked into ‘Israel’s’ leading sports website – One, and posted what he claims is the personal information – including credit card numbers – of hundreds of thousands of ‘Israelis’. The ‘Bank of Israel’ has announced that the reported Saudi theft of ‘Israeli’ credit card numbers is under investigation.
Saudi hackers called on surfers to use the details in order to purchase goods online. “It will be so fun to see 400,000 Israelis stand in line outside banks and offices of credit card companies to complain that their cards had been stolen. To see banks shred 400,000 cards and reissue them. To see that ‘Israeli’ cards are not accepted around the world, like the Nigerian cards,” the hackers wrote.
The hackers, who called the cyber-attack a “gift to the world for the New Year,” broke into the “ONE” sports website and announced they had leaked the information. They also attached a link to a webpage from which the data could be downloaded.
People who visited One’s website, on Monday, were redirected to a page on pastebay.com, where a message by a hacker who identified himself as ‘xOmar 0′ suggesting visitors download a linked file containing a database of Israelis and their personal information, including names, addresses, and credit card, telephone, and ID numbers.
The file included a number of lists with the details of tens of thousands of persons. One of the lists included what the hackers termed 65 Zionists, who purchased products from a website called Judaism. Another list included the details of 500 people who donated to rabbis. The list includes many Israeli celebrities, including athletes and cultural figures.
According to the message posted by the Saudi hacker, ‘’they hacked into multiple ‘Israeli’ websites, in which ‘Israelis’ frequently purchase products with credit cards. According to him the group’s objective was to reach the credit card numbers of one million ‘Israelis’. “We decided to give the world a gift for the New Year – the personal information of 400 thousand Israelis,” the hacker wrote.
'Anonymous' targets German far-right with Nazi-leaks.net
5th Jan 2012
Hackers have targeted Germany's far-right with a Wikileaks-style website. The launch of nazi-leaks.net follows the start of Operation Blitzkrieg, a campaign against neo-nazi and other far-right sites attributed to Anonymous. The site includes a list of individuals the hacker group alleges are donors to the National Democratic Party (NPD). The NPD are reported to be considering legal action against the site.
Anonymous is a loose-knit gathering of hackers best known for attacks launched in 2010 against companies such as Mastercard, Visa and Paypal in response to their withdrawal of services from Wikileaks. A statement purporting to be from Anonymous announced the launch of Operation Blitzkrieg. "We hereby call to you to identify sites where the nazis gather... collect the data and co-ordinate attacks," it said.
The nazi-leaks.net data, the authenticity of which has not so far been verified, also included some NPD emails, customer lists from far-right stores, as well as contact information from a weekly paper. Some of the data had already been published online, German media reports suggest.
The leak has been criticised by some involved in fighting the far-right, citing privacy concerns. Simone Rafael from the anti-Nazi web forum netz-gegen-nazis.de told the BBC: "The intention is a good one but I think this is the wrong way to act. Putting the addresses and names of people onto the internet is the wrong way to do this. This is a lot of data, but there are already some names where it's clear the people are not right-wing extremists." Some people identified in the data had merely been contacted by right-wing publications seeking interviews, she added.
After the news broke, nazi-leaks.net became inaccessible, possibly because of the high volume of traffic it was experiencing However, the information has been mirrored on other websites, including the Anonops communications blog.
although their site seems to be down, it isn't according to their twitter page, just looking for a new server, there are mirrors ..
I have to say that it still seems funny seeing anonymous in the news with continued high profile hacking, I just wonder how long they are going to keep going with their variety of targets, and how much effort the security services are putting into trying to shut down such an anarchic group?
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum