Bomb alerts on UK Flights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I just heard that a BA flight was turned back hours into a flight to New York because a mobile-phone started ringing. How it was picking up a signal is anyone's guess!

Good point... most of them can't seem to pick up signals from the ground let alone from that high in the air!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
faceless wrote:
I just heard that a BA flight was turned back hours into a flight to New York because a mobile-phone started ringing. How it was picking up a signal is anyone's guess!

Good point... most of them can't seem to pick up signals from the ground let alone from that high in the air!

It may not have been picking up a signal at all. It could have been an alarm set on there or someone even messing with their settings. I know I can get mine to ring without an incoming call when I am doing loads of things and I can also set my alarm to ring different ways too.
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm sitting at my computer desk and my cell phone is about... I said about to ring... the speakers start doing a morse code thing and the stereo speakers will react the same way... then my phone will ring 30 seconds later.... I never got that ???
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
eefanincan wrote:
faceless wrote:

It may not have been picking up a signal at all. It could have been an alarm set on there or someone even messing with their settings. I know I can get mine to ring without an incoming call when I am doing loads of things and I can also set my alarm to ring different ways too.

Good point...... I never leave mine on so I didn't think of that!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:
If I'm sitting at my computer desk and my cell phone is about... I said about to ring... the speakers start doing a morse code thing and the stereo speakers will react the same way... then my phone will ring 30 seconds later.... I never got that ???

I get that all the time. If I've the mobile anywhere near the speakers I get a funky sound happening. I'm not sure what it is but I've also seen it on caps that I've got in the past.

Don't worry....it's not a conspiracy Confused
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 11 of the people arrested have been charged in relation to this...

read the full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5271998.stm

I'm still sceptical though and I won't really be convinced until the evidence is shown properly (if it ever is).
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
So, 11 of the people arrested have been charged in relation to this...

read the full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5271998.stm

I'm still sceptical though and I won't really be convinced until the evidence is shown properly (if it ever is).

I read that earlier on. I'm with you on this. I want more evidence. I just am not sure about all this.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WASHINGTON (Reuters)
Restrictions on U.S. airline travelers were eased slightly on Sunday, but Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the threat of an attack on airliners remained.

The Transportation and Security Administration, or
TSA, said on its Web site it would allow passengers to bring up to 4 ounces (118 ml) of nonprescription liquid medication on board, including pain relievers and cough medicine.

It also said it would allow on board glucose gel and other medicines for low blood sugar treatments for diabetics.

The TSA had barred all liquids, except baby formula and breast milk, from flights last week because of a plot to bring down jetliners as they flew from London to the United States.

Plotters planned to use common chemicals often found in liquids to make explosives and detonate them using a common electronic device -- all of which were normally allowed on aircraft.

On Sunday, the TSA also said it would require all passengers traveling on domestic and international flights to remove their shoes for screening.

Until now, it had been recommended that passengers be asked to remove their shoes for X-ray screening before boarding. But the practice will become mandatory at all airports, the TSA said.

Since convicted "shoe bomber" Richard Reid of Britain tried to blow up a transatlantic American Airlines flight shortly after the September 11, 2001, hijack attacks, U.S. airport officials have paid closer attention to passengers' shoes.

But while the United States moved quickly last week to tighten security, Chertoff told CBS's news program "Face the Nation" that he knew of no suspects in the United States connected with the plot uncovered in Britain.

"As we speak right now we've not found any indication of active planning in the U.S. or plans to conduct operations within the U.S.," he said. "Nothing so far."

Britain has arrested about two dozen people in connection with the plot.

"Obviously, they believe they've picked up the main players, but it's a plot that's international in scope," Chertoff said on "Fox News Sunday." "We're still concerned there may be some plotters who are out there."

It still amazes me they were not allowing medications for diabetics and inhalers on. I am glad they are finally relaxing all this.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is a massive over reaction... i too believe there will be little evidence!!!

what a sad world it has become!!!
janbo1960

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of overeaction.....

Lodhi sentence a 'stand against terrorism'

A Sydney judge says the 20-year sentence given to a man planning a bombing attack on the electricity grid should be seen as a stand against terrorism.

The Supreme Court ruled today that Faheem Khalid Lodhi was in the very early stages of planning for a terrorist attack in October 2003, when he made inquiries about the cost of some chemicals and bought some maps of the electricity grid.

He also owned instructions on how to make homemade bombs.

In sentencing in Sydney today Justice Anthony Whealy said even though Lodhi's plans were only in a preliminary stage, any successful attack would have instilled terror in the Australian people, and any sentence should be seen as a deterrent.

He said even if the 20-year maximum term given to Lodhi does not deter those with fanatical beliefs, a stand had to be taken to try and protect the community against the madness of extreme views.

Justice Whealy also recommended Lodhi's strict custodial conditions should be reviewed "relatively early" during his prison term.

Since his arrest in April 2004, Lodhi has mostly been kept in solitary confinement.

In sentencing Justice Whealy said he made some allowance for the conditions Lodhi will be kept in.

He has also recommended to prison authorities they should not lose sight of the need for Lodhi's classification to be reconsidered relatively early in his prison term.

Lodhi will be eligible for parole in 2019.

His lawyers are expected to lodge an appeal.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janbo1960 wrote:
Talking of overeaction.....

That's just madness! How many people have gone and bought something with an intention and then bottled out before they actually committed the crime?

There is a crime here of "going prepared" to commit a crime such as burglary, but you need to outside, with the tools for the job in your possession for it to stick.

Here's hoping the guy's appeal is heard by a less maniacal judge.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

It still amazes me they were not allowing medications for diabetics and inhalers on. I am glad they are finally relaxing all this.

I agree Sky. This is ridiculous. Sometimes when we travel, my husband gets a real hassle about his insulin pen. Apparently, because insulin is a prescription product in the US they expect his to have a pharmacy label on it. Well, in Canada, you don't need a prescription for it (who uses it who doesn't need to????). So we have a letter from his doctor that he keeps with him. But it's such a hassle to explain all the time. Also, he almost always has a can of pop or somethng with him as he can get low blood sugars... he doesn't use the glucose gel. Now he's forced to pay $3 or whatever on the plane for a drink...... I wouldn't be surprised if the airlines don't press to keep these regulations in place so they can make more money from selling snacks and such.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I agree Sky. This is ridiculous. Sometimes when we travel, my husband gets a real hassle about his insulin pen. Apparently, because insulin is a prescription product in the US they expect his to have a pharmacy label on it. Well, in Canada, you don't need a prescription for it (who uses it who doesn't need to????). So we have a letter from his doctor that he keeps with him. But it's such a hassle to explain all the time. Also, he almost always has a can of pop or somethng with him as he can get low blood sugars... he doesn't use the glucose gel. Now he's forced to pay $3 or whatever on the plane for a drink...... I wouldn't be surprised if the airlines don't press to keep these regulations in place so they can make more money from selling snacks and such.

We were talking about that just the other day. It wouldn't surprise me at all. Just another way for them to make a buck. The thing is, they'd probably even hike the prices higher saying it's a surcharge for special handling to make sure it's safe!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see Ryan-air's new security measures.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
Click here to see Ryan-air's new security measures.

LOL good one maycm. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: