quitting smoking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: quitting smoking Reply with quote

i've decided to try and quit smoking. i've been thinking i should do for the last 15 years or so, and i gave it some real thought over new year, but that didn't really work out.

i know all the arguments for quitting, the health benefits, the money, but what really bugs me is being addicted - having to smoke. i don't want to be addicted anymore, i don't want to have to smoke anymore

anyone managed to quit? anyone got any tips?

i've decided i'm going to cut down bit by bit, which i think will be easier than just stopping ...

i started cutting down monday, and did alright that day, but i've kinda lost it the last few days, but i'm back with the program tomorrow Smile
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Luke! Good for you for trying! My sister has been trying to quit too, but she's not having any luck. She's been using that electronic cigarette with the nicotine in it.

I started smoking around 1986 and I quit in 2002. I used the patch and the doctor prescribed Prozac to go with it. The patch is very expensive, but I felt the slow weening off of nicotine, which is what really keeps us smoking, was a helpful factor for me. I literally took it day by day, very methodical. At night, I had a methodical boring hobby of doing hook rugs. I bought a big kit and did it every night after dinner. It kept my mind off of wanting a cigarette every two seconds. You do have to throw a little will power in with it, especially when it's time to take the next step down to a lower nicotine dose. The hardest part was that last step which is not using the patch. I stretched out that last step for an extra month. The doctor said it's perfectly okay. It's now 2011 and I have never taken another drag. I breath better, I can sit through a movie in a movie theater, and I can enjoy a meal at a restaurant without jonesing for a cigarette. I still haven't forgotten that wonderful feeling of taking a nice deep drag of a cigarette, that instant "ahhhhh", but I don't physically miss it. I really didn't think the patch would work, I thought it was all bullshit. lol Some have done it cold turkey, there is no way I could have done it cold turkey. So, you are on the right track. The trick is to slowly ween yourself off of the nicotine, because that is the biggest obstacle. The habits can be lost with time, like the after dinner/after eating ciggy, holding the ciggy between your fingers, etc. Best of luck to you Luke, it's not easy, but it can be done! :-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Luke!! That is the first step...wanting to quit. I started smoking in 1976 and quit in 2002. I was not a heavy smoker (about 1/2 pack a day), but what I lacked in numbers I more than made up for in desire. I LOVED SMOKING!!! I had no intentions of quitting. After the Thanksgiving holiday of 2002, I caught a cold.. a fairly nasty one and I never smoked while I was sick. Made no sense to me if I wanted to get better, and just by chance I smoked the last cig of a pack before I went to bed and the next morning woke up feeling like I was getting sick. So, it was two weeks before I felt better and before I even wanted a smoke. Then I started playing a game with myself. "lets see if I can go one more day" Then it was one more week and before I knew it, I had quit. I wish food was that easy to control!! I had one slip off of the wagon in a wedding reception in 2008, but I felt so crappy the next day, I haven't wanted one since.

Good luck to you! Like Pirty says, it is not easy, but if I can do it...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn you all with your self-control!

(this post is definitely not a reflection on my addictions)
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if I could just lose interest in food! Laughing
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a smoking cessation councellor and this is some of the advice we used to give.

First off, if you smoke more than five cigarettes a day, consider using the nicotene patch. Smoke less than five cig's a day, try the gum.

Secondly, Nicotine decreases the absorption of caffeine by HALF, so, if you quit smoking and drink the same amount of coffee, tea, cola, etc. you will become agitated and all of that ---ON TOP of being a bit agitated from nicotine withdrawal. Soooooooo.......one of the key things I used to counsel people on is to decrease caffeine by half, or withdraw off of it until you have none. Not easy, but it does work.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that about caffeine absorption - very interesting.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was new to me as well, but I've heard from some people who've quit thatit did make a difference with their jittery feeling.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up smoking some years ago, I'd toyed with the idea a few times but went back. I do think that the ban in pubs and bars really helps.

Just keep it up Luke, you have to really want to, and then you will.

You'll get a real dislike for the smell ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That caffeine info is new to me as well. Thanks for that eefan.

Good luck Luke! I've not had to quit smoking but my husband did it a few years back! I am sure you will succeed!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doctor told me if I had to have coffee at all, it should be decaffeinated. I didn't really ask the details as to why. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never have given up both at the same time. Coffee is my remaining vice...YOU CAN"T HAVE IT!!! Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step away from the coffee Spurs!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No...you can't make me..I am stopping at McD's on the way home just to order a large coffee and prove you can't stop me!! Bwahaha!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I think you need a 12 step program, Spurs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: