The animals that lurk within the Tube map revealed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: The animals that lurk within the Tube map revealed Reply with quote

The elephant without his castle and a dog called Barking (of course): But how many can animals can YOU find on the London Underground map?

The world famous London Underground stations are about to come to life - as they take the shape of animals in a brand new children's book.

Kids will be able to meet lovable characters such as 'Cockfosters' the cockerel, 'Hounslow' the hound and 'Hammersmith' the pig - all based on the unique design of the London Tube map.

Paul Middlewick, 44, was able to pen designs centered around the various Underground lines to create the animal shapes back in the Eighties.

Paul's designs, such as Elephant & Castle - despite being drawn around lines in West London - are based on various Underground lines shapes he drew as a boy in the Eighties

Barking the dog: World famous London Underground stations about to come to life in Paul Middlewick's books

The characters, such as Bottlenose the dolphin, are attracting attention across Europe because London Underground is so iconic

But, like the Underground system itself, his project is subject to delay. The book has yet to land a publishing deal despite huge interest around the world.

Paul, from Balham, South London, reckons the first run of self-published books has sold so well it should push a deal through.

He said: 'We're approaching 1,000 sales in London alone. We need a reprint and that's why we need the backing of a major publisher, to take it to the next level.

'If we can get a distribution and publishing deal we can make a real success of it.'

The 35 lovable animals are based on the original designs by Paul, but have been brought to life by sketching new designs and giving them individual characteristics.

Paul added: 'We want to move into animation and other things, but first we must establish the characters.

'They're all named after tube stations, for example 'Barking' the dog - but we've had to think more about the individual characteristics from the way they look.

'We've linked forgetfulness with our elephant, but we have a library of emotions and they'll carry on through the series of books.

'I've written a couple more, they're being illustrated at the moment.

'This has been in the pipeline for years - I started penning the characters seriously in 1988 but I had spotted them in the early Eighties.

It's been great bringing to life characters such as Hammersmith the pig, says Paul

Paul is taking his books, including the character Mudchute the Snail, to the Frankfurt Book Fair in the hope of landing a major publishing deal

The fish called Angel quite suitably straddles the Thames, running from King's Cross to the Elephant & Castle, blowing bubbles into Baker Street, Bond Street and Edgware Road

'It's been great to bring the characters to life; they're more fun, cuddly and lovable and it opens up a bigger market.

'There's been interest from Sweden, Italy, Spain, Greece - they all seem to appreciate the idea.

'I thought it may be an issue getting the Tube map worldwide but it's so well known internationally there's no difficulty - it's an iconic design.'

Paul will take the book to the Frankfurt Book Fair, the biggest in the world, in early October where he hopes to finally land the mega deal he dreams of.

Coming to life: The world famous London Underground stations take the shape of animals in the brand new children's book

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316501/How-YOU-The-animals-lurk-Tube-map-revealed-new-childrens-book.html

Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really cool - I wonder how many people have ever sat there between stations making images like that?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he can do that with the NYC subway map.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool, Luke! I love what creative people can see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: