It should be illegal to name them that

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: It should be illegal to name them that Reply with quote

Malaysian authorities have published a list of undesirable titles to prevent parents giving their children names such as Hitler, smelly dog or 007.

Such choices are not allowed, but there is a right of appeal.

The list came as a response to the growing number of Malaysians who are applying to change their birth names.

Malaysia's National Registration Department made the decision after consulting with various religious bodies in the country.

They represented the country's Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist communities.

Traditionally, some groups have given newborns inauspicious names to ward off demons and evil spirits.

Further restrictions

Now names like the Hokkien Chinese Ah Chwar, meaning snake, and Khiow Khoo, meaning hunchback, are being ruled out.

So too are Cantonese monikers Chow Tow, meaning smelly head, and Sor Chai, meaning insane.

Members of Malaysia's Tamil community will be discouraged from using the likes of Karrupusamy (black god), and Malays from trying names like Woti, meaning sexual intercourse.

But the ban extends further.

Parents will not be able to call their babies after animals, insects, fruit, vegetables or colours.

Numbers are also not allowed, so little James Bonds cannot flaunt their 007 status on their ID cards.

Other restrictions stop parents giving children royal or honorary titles as names or calling their little ones after Japanese cars.

_______

While I think some of the recent baby name trends from celebs has been a bit much, it's not as bad as others I have heard. I think it should have been illegal for parents of one student to give him his name. It was pronounced Sh-tead but spelled Shithead. no
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article Skylace. Thanks for posting that.

I don't think government should have a say in what anyone names their child. Whilst that sounds like common sense and reasonable for some of the name choices obviously, I think it's a bit extreme in regards to other choices or titles a parent might want to use.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: It should be illegal to name them that Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

It was pronounced Sh-tead but spelled Shithead. no

You meant that the other way round I expect. Pronounced Shithead but spelt Sh-tead right? Surprised

Where are the parents from originally that a name like that would be acceptable? Or did they make it up? no
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It should be illegal to name them that Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
Skylace wrote:

It was pronounced Sh-tead but spelled Shithead. no

You meant that the other way round I expect. Pronounced Shithead but spelt Sh-tead right? Surprised

Where are the parents from originally that a name like that would be acceptable? Or did they make it up? no

Smile Yes I did it the wrong way around. Damn not having that first cup of coffee before posting Surprised
The parents are from the states. It was one of those names were they give a kid and don't really know how to spell.
We also had some other great ones:
Morreeses-Because the mom always wanted "more reese's peanut butter cups" when she was pregnant with him.
Poetry (the third)-Not a girl
and even a
Rocky Balboa

We get a lot of made up names that when you see them you can't really read them. It's scary.

However, I do agree that it shouldn't be the governments choice. Most of the kids I knew who had stupid names like that got a nickname really quick or went by their usually, more sensible middle name or their initials.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally approve of any names that are definitely going to give a child trouble in life but seriously don't think the government should be involved to the extent that this article was saying they were going to be.

Better they put more money into education of parenting to help people make better choices for their child. Including what they name their child.

Although anyone who calls their child Shithead and thinks thats alright ... well they may be beyond hope. Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
I don't personally approve of any names that are definitely going to give a child trouble in life but seriously don't think the government should be involved to the extent that this article was saying they were going to be.

Better they put more money into education of parenting to help people make better choices for their child. Including what they name their child.

Although anyone who calls their child Shithead and thinks thats alright ... well they may be beyond hope. Smile

All of it so true! thumbs Smile
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny article !!! I want to be known from now on as "Sor Chai Woti 59".
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasman59 wrote:

haha, I never saw this before - good one sor chai woti!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Gasman59 wrote:

hmmmm should we change his rank name? Laughing
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany you have to submit your name choice to the government for approval.

There are some really stupid names now a days. I hear or see them and want to cringe.

I actually had a waitress at a Wag's once named VAGINA ... I asked her if she went by Gina and she said "No my friends call me VAG."
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:

There are some really stupid names now a days. I hear or see them and want to cringe.

I actually had a waitress at a Wag's once named VAGINA ... I asked her if she went by Gina and she said "No my friends call me VAG."

I knew a girl named Vangila. She went by Vange.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:

That's a bit ridiculous. I'd change my name and horsewhip my parents lol
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Gasman59 wrote:

Knew you would get a kick out of that one.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: