First "Face Transplant" for China.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: First "Face Transplant" for China. Reply with quote

A man who was disfigured after being attacked by a bear has become the first in China to have a face transplant, a hospital in the country has announced.

Xijing military hospital in the central city of Xian said it had given the man a new cheek, upper lip and nose from a single donor, in a 14-hour operation.

A woman in France made history last year when she become the first in the world to receive a face transplant.

Isabelle Dinoire, 38, was given new lips, chin and nose last November after her face was mauled by her dog while she slept.

Xijing hospital said in a statement its surgery had been "even more complex and meticulous than the one performed by the French".

The patient was identified as Li Guoxing, 30, a hunter from the Lisu ethnic minority in the south-western province of Yunnan, who was attacked by a bear two years ago.

"Up to now, the patient is in good condition," the hospital said.

"The operation was successful. It is predicted that the wounds can be healed within one week."

From the follow up I have seen he is very happy with the results.
This is so amazing to me that this is already the second one. Medicial progress is great!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a brilliant thing really. The first lady who had it done in france is doing great and so happy about the results. She will never look the same but atleast she has the lower part of her face back through this surgery, and it'll help her to lead a happy normal life.

It wasn't merely about looks with her but not being able to eat because the lower part of her face and jaw were ripped apart by her pet.

I'm sure as time goes on and as this progresses they'll soon be selling faces to rich ppl that want to look younger, but I hope the main emphasis is on people like these 2 that need reconstructive surgery because of accidents like they've had.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
It is a brilliant thing really. The first lady who had it done in france is doing great and so happy about the results. She will never look the same but atleast she has the lower part of her face back through this surgery, and it'll help her to lead a happy normal life.

It wasn't merely about looks with her but not being able to eat because the lower part of her face and jaw were ripped apart by her pet.

I'm sure as time goes on and as this progresses they'll soon be selling faces to rich ppl that want to look younger, but I hope the main emphasis is on people like these 2 that need reconstructive surgery because of accidents like they've had.

I agree. And it really is amazing. People who are in terrible accidents can get a whole new lease on life.

I am sure it has got to be weird only kind of looking like you but I am sure you would get used to it and regardless of what you look like, it's still you in the ways that count.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: